Does this sound right?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

I have had friends staying on the island for 5 weeks now. They rented two vacation houses that have a shared pool the property also has one other rental with it.
Typical rental not perfect could use a few up grades and some paint.
The two house were rented with Wi-Fi. today the got a bill for cable 50usd (for the month) and pool cleaning 45usd each house per week. In total that is three house paying 45usd per week for the pool. Once a week cleaning and not a great job at that.

From the start they knew that they would be paying the electricity bill.
With that in mind they did not use the air in the living room and kitchen and only used air in bedrooms at night and turned it off when not in the room.
Today they got a bill for 800usd for the two houses in electricity alone.

The houses are in centro colonial.

Does this sound right? What do you think?
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#2 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:55 AM

The electric bill is probably for two months if the landlord didn't separate it out. Running a pool pump, water heater and a modern fridge with defrost and ice-maker uses a lot of power.

Previous tenants running the AC could have kicked up the demand charge on the power which increases the rate.

If for two months, $200/month might be correct. (I assume you converted this to dollars from pesos. If pesos, pay it and keep quiet!)

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#3 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

It all sounds accurate...not right necessarily, but accurate. Except for the pool guy :) We only paid $200 a week for 2 visits. The cable bill is right on target, and the electric bill is really that bad...even with little electricity used. Ours is a lot worse than that for that amount of time.

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

It would depend on the size of the houses. My electric bill running the AC only at night and in one large bedroom will, in the summer, typically come to around $6000/pesos for two months. So $3000 pesos/month or about $260/month?? at today's exchange rate. So multiply that by two and you've got at least $500 US for the AC bill and if you have window units, they use more electricity than the mini splits I have.

I pay $700 pesos/month to have my pool maintained. They come twice per week and keep it very nice.

What are the names of the villas? I'm just curious as I also live in centro and may be familiar with them.

#5 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

You are getting raped on the pool cleaning. The electrical seems low.

Cozumel Diving

#6 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for you input. I did not convert the amounts to dollars the amounts where sent in an email to them.
If it is for two months like all our electric bills are they should not pay for time they where not there.
I didn't even think about that. :o
The usage surprised me I payed for the last two months 1500 and I use the a/c every afternoon until the morning non stop.
I guess that is my point it is not just 200usd it is 400usd each.
I would pay 200 for sure but not 400usd.
Also my question about cable is the web site said Wifi included without a phone in the house no net so the rental company use cable for net. Now they are trying to charge for cable. Just seems odd to me.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:11 AM

Sounds like were charged the whole two month bill instead of half that. But I can't be sure. If the wiring in the house is old, for example, you can end up with much higher bills than I get. Also, as mentioned, window AC's especially ones that haven't been thoroughly cleaned in the last year, will eat up a whole lot more power than a mini split or a recently cleaned window unit.

Also take into account the cost of running the pool pump which is not insubstantial

The pool service pricing is way out of line which kind of leads one to believe it might be same on the electric. Somebody is making some money on that pool service.

The cable? I think the way it works is its like $500/month for the basic plus 6 pay channels like HBO. Then if you add internet on top of that, I'm not sure what the additional cost is as I don't have that service. Yet. Maybe someone else can answer that question for you. But with cablemas, the tv reception and the internet are lumped into one bill.

What is the name of the property if you don't mind saying.

#8 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

Before I go into who the management company is the people want to try and resolve the matter.
I would hate to drag someones name through the mud if it is just a misunderstanding.
Giving the name of the property could start a fight with our neighbors on the island and you know how touchy people get here.

Albert Einstein,

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:21 AM

yah you have a point.

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:36 AM

On the CFE bill, if it is a commercial business (which it appears to be) the CFE rates are higher.

I don't get why they are charging you for Wi-FI or cable??? That should be just part of rental cost, and not extra...that's nickel and dime kind of stuff.

Did I understand that each unit (3) is paying for pool service at $45 usd's per week???? That's $540 a month...YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!

By chance, do you know who the owner of the property is??? If so, you may want to check with them on these charges that the PM is stating.

When the house(s) where rented, where they informed of ALL these extra charges, and the approximate cost of these things that should be standard in a rental?

I think I would be staying at one of the high end hotel that would cost LESS money then what they are paying.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

I hoped you have a meter reading of consumption on your/their start date. You could get a reading now and compare your useage since this bill was read. See how that compares to your/their five weeks. We paid the cable/Internet bill on our past rental AND the water bill which I did feel was nickle and peso-ing us. I never did bother to check with the owner if that had been their understanding. My last dealings with a property management agency sure left a sour taste in my mouth. I'll never deal with a person again who knows less than half what I know.

$800 seems plausible as it is not unusual for electric every two months to exceed a monthly rent. It sounds like a bunch of people are making money on the pool cleaning.

Regular DAC rates are plenty high, but legal, licensed, commercial rates will be even higher. As Mike said, the total electric bill seems on the low end. It could be considerably worse.

#12 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

I was down for the monthe of July. I found out that the electric had been turned off because I didn't pay enough ahead of time to cover the bill. I had to pay $120 pesos to have the electric turned back on. The bill was paid when I got down on July 5th. so there was no money due. There are 3 air conditioners in the house and I ran them 24/7 until August 4th. when I left. The bill wasn't out yet so I paid $3000 pesos ahead on it. My friend called me up about 3 weeks later and told me he had the electric bill. It was $8553 pesos for the month of which I paid $3000 pesos leaving a balance of $5553 pesos to be paid. I couldn't believe the bill. I checked with some friends on the island and that was about right. I did take a meter reading when I got into the house and another one a couple days before I left and computed what I should pay based on US rates plus 30%. I was way off.

My choices are simple. Don't use the air and don't bring anyone down with you that can't stand the heat. Normal bills without the air were around $600 to $700 pesos for two months.

I would clean the pool myself for that price. I could have someone come in and clean the pool for $50 pesos a day. It doesn't take that long.

#13 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

Running your a/c units 24/7 for over a month is what hiked up your electric bills...We have mini splits in our bedrooms and only use them at night on low settings and our bill for two months was just under $5,000 pesos and we also have two fridges, a wine cooler and overhead fans going as well as stand up fans...
You have to regulate yourself at times during those hot months, but we also have a house that offers very good airflow which is a bonus in the long run. You cannot use US rates here, this is Mexico and an island!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#14 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

I fully understand what ran my electric bill up. I also have a fridge, electric hot water tank, 6 celing fans, 3 floor fans, and a high pressure water system. I expected a high electric bill but not $8500 pesos. I thought around $5000 pesos. My girlfriend needs the air and I don't. My easiest solution is not to bring her down and I won't have a high electric bill. Problem solved.

#15 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

Does ur girlfriend read this forum I doubt it ;-)

#16 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

Your electric hot water tank can also run up the bills...we have gas on demand water hot tank, gas stove, gas dryer, these are much more cost effective than electric ones...You just have to educate your guests when they visit here, reminders about the costs etc...hopefully they will comply...Good luck with the girlfriend!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#17 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

The hot water tank is electric also but that is turned on about 1/2 hour before shower time then turned off. My girlfrien says she won't go down without air so she will stay home. No problems. I don't need air so it's not a problem.

She can read the post and won't get mad. I might be able to bring her down in the winter but she would rather stay at home with the air than do without down there in the summer. It's 53 degrees outside here right now and she just turned the air off for today.

#18 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

I think it's the "AC on 24/7" part that needs adjustment, not no girlfriend on the trip! When I travel to Coz in the summer one of my must-haves is a place with quiet, mini-split AC. But why oh why would you have the AC on when you are out of the house? It's on the whole time you're at the beach etc??? Yes, it's really hot in Coz in the summer & coupled with the humidity I am dripping when I get back to my room. I turn on the AC and after I walk in and out of a cold shower and cool down I eventually turn it off & use my ceiling fan. My hotel specifically requests that lights and AC be turned off when one leaves the room. That is common sense.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#19 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:19 PM

I can understand common sense and turn the air off when you leave and everything else but you don't understand my girlfriend. If she could live in a walk in cooler she would do that. The problem is not with me. It's with her. If I don't bring her down, I won't have that problem and she can stay at home in Chicago when the outdoor tepmerature is 33 degrees with her air on. I have never met anyone like this and the only arguments we ever have is about the temperature in the house. I know exactly what the problem is and how to solve it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users