Notary

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

Anne Harris

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

#4 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

if you use ANYBODY ELSE then it will not be legal...to have things legally notarized it must be done on US SOIL (Anne Harris and her US Consulate Office is US sovereign ground) and an AUTHORIZED US NOTARY...

For anyone else who wants things done legally, this is who you use, and why you use them and pay the price, which isn't all that much.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

what is a "JMEX"?

maybe I don't want to know?

Anonymous

#8 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

Well, as Paula said, you can have it notarized but there's no foundation for enforcement of the document if the notary isn't authorized to sign. Perhaps a Mexican notary would be a better choice if it's to be enforced in Mexico. Or Anne if it's to be enforced in the USA.

Every doc that a notary deals with has to show the location where it was executed.

I don't know what Anne charges, but in terms of due diligence, it can't be too much. I think that anyone authorized to notarize a US document in Mexico has very special powers.

I'm a notary and can only process documents that are physically presented to me within New York state. I can notarize under embossed seal documents to be sent out of state but my authority to notarize doesn't extend out of state.

If Anne has authority to notarize documents presented here, you would be wise to use her in case there's a problem later. The most common problem is with certification of authority. This an important protection against fraud and, in many instances, especially in international transactions, certification of the notary is a normal and necessary part of the paperwork. In New York, any party to a document that I've notarized can go to the office of the clerk for the county where I'm registered or to the Secretary of State and pay for written verification that my license is current and that the signature on file matches the signature on the document. I'm sure it's the same everywhere.

Notaries have specific and important jobs to do. It's not just a matter of affixing a stamp or seal and date and signature. Don't think that notaries don't make mistakes -- unintentionally and intentionally -- they do all the time. And sometimes it comes back to bite them and/or you.

#9 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

#10 SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

Guess if it's not really NEEDED or required, then why bother? If you're going to have something notarized that isn't even legal, why bother even asking? Just don't do it. DUH!

#11 SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

what is a "JMEX"?

maybe I don't want to know?

Ever find out what a JMEX was? Can't say that I've heard that one before.

#12 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#13 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

Okay, by popular request, I am editing my post.

Of course unless you where there for the ringing bell, this will NOT make sense in the least.

But, to appease those...yada, yada, yada.

I am not "JMAX". I did not write any review of any book, guide, manual, video, or any other form of broadcast information.

If I had, you would KNOW about it.

Okay, we good now?

Anonymous

#15 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

Well no concern for me at this point, within the month that book will be on sale ALL OVER Cozumel, because MEXICAN BUSNESSMEN liked the book and felt it was a good thing for Cozumel.

#16 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:49 PM

Apparently, there seems to be a few unfavorable reviews of the original guide due to outdated information, or disagreement as to what should have been contained within its pages. It’s really up to the reader to determine if a book suits their needs or not. Writing unfavorable responses for the sole purpose of dramatizing personal differences between individuals is both childish and unnecessary, and to noones benefit; the biggest loser being the potential consumer. People should put aside their personal differences, and just get along; afterall, we all have a common love we try to enjoy together and share with new faces – Cozumel. This is coming from an outsider, but what do I know. As far as who JMEX is, it’s most definitely not Paula.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#17 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

If this (JMEX) was indeed meant to be a private joke, regrettably, and rightly or wrongly, more than a few thought otherwise and were uncomfortable. Not sure what the point was in using this term if no one else really knew the intended meaning. As it appears that we have erred and misjudged the comment, perhaps it would be wise to either provide a plausible explanation or, alternatively, to remove it all together, in order to minimize the damage and fallout from what the poster states was a comment not meant to hurt anyone.
I also appreciated the information provided on the notary issue, as this is useful and practical information. As I personally will be on the island for more extended periods, in the event I need something notarized, as a Canadian will I be required to have this taken care of in Cancun? (there is no Canadian consulate in Cozumel).

Valli

#18 SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:28 PM

I personally won't be buying the book based upon the author's childish and unprofessional attitudes on this forum and will definitely spread the word so people can see for themselves. I cannot believe some of the comments, accusations and hatred I have read here. I LOVE Cozumel and cannot believe people can't live together on this island peacefully!! I have read several comments in different sections on this forum by Coz-Aholic she seems like a very angry and very lonely person. Most people on this forum are here to help, not criticize or make others feel unwelcomed. So, thank you to those of you who are trying to make a difference and trying to help people like me who is still learning Cozumel and it's surroundings.

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

In regards to having documents legally notarized, please see the US Consulate, Anne Harris.

The US Consulate Office is US sovereign ground, and the ONLY AUTHORIZED US NOTARY.

The considerations for why you would want your documents, and signature notarized by the US Consulate, please read Deb B. response.

"Every doc that a notary deals with has to show the location where it was executed.

I don't know what Anne charges, but in terms of due diligence, it can't be too much. I think that anyone authorized to notarize a US document in Mexico has very special powers.

I'm a notary and can only process documents that are physically presented to me within New York state. I can notarize under embossed seal documents to be sent out of state but my authority to notarize doesn't extend out of state.

If Anne has authority to notarize documents presented here, you would be wise to use her in case there's a problem later. The most common problem is with certification of authority. This an important protection against fraud and, in many instances, especially in international transactions, certification of the notary is a normal and necessary part of the paperwork. In New York, any party to a document that I've notarized can go to the office of the clerk for the county where I'm registered or to the Secretary of State and pay for written verification that my license is current and that the signature on file matches the signature on the document. I'm sure it's the same everywhere.

Notaries have specific and important jobs to do. It's not just a matter of affixing a stamp or seal and date and signature. Don't think that notaries don't make mistakes -- unintentionally and intentionally -- they do all the time. And sometimes it comes back to bite them and/or you".

Anonymous

#20 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

I'm not selling books and I know that there's a total disconnect between JMEX and Paula and, maybe, between the notary question and "Cozumel, The Complete Guide II." But there are two things I want to say, unrelated to notaries:

1. Though I haven't seen Patricia's new book, I hope that it's similar to and as thoroughly researched as the old one which was a useful reference for English-reading visitors as well as residents. I don't consider it a travel guide that says "do this and see that" -- it's a thorough, independent, compilation that no one else here provides. I also hope that she included the Cruz Roja this time around! In every case, an endeavor of this type will be dated before it's published since businesses and hours change as frequently as the weather.

2. Patricia: You posted a question on this public forum -- now deleted. And Paula -- who always tries to be helpful -- answered it to the best of her knowledge and correctly. But, as you said, that wasn't the answer you were looking for. And then you went further (unnecessarily) and accused her without foundation or proof, of committing an unrelated act -- under an assumed name, on some other internet site -- that hurt you personally. That's just wrong. And it is also wrong that, rather than your apology for that error, your "proof" (the review itself without more) found its way here. You can delete your posts, but that doesn't undo the hurt and further compounds the damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users