• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:36 AM

As I personally will be on the island for more extended periods, in the event I need something notarized, as a Canadian will I be required to have this taken care of in Cancun? (there is no Canadian consulate in Cozumel).

Hi, Valli. You'd only need a Canadian notary if you need a Canadian doc notarized, which is unlikely to happen down here especially if you're not receiving your Canadian mail. Unless you can find a person to courier, it's both a risk and a PIA to move original documents from Canada to MX and back to Canada. If you think you'll need docs notarized while you're traveling, the best thing to do is to set up a limited power of attorney so that someone you know in Canada can sign for you and have his/her signature notarized. In many states in the USA, lawyers are -- by default -- notaries. Is it the same in Canada? If so, you can set something up with your personal attorney if you have one.

Since I've lived here, I've had to have my signature notarized several times as sponsor of a living trust in the USA and once for a property settlement. Each time, the documents arrived here from the law firms as emailed PDFs. I printed, signed, photographed, and emailed back the photo together with photos of my driver's license and passport as proof of identity. Based on this, the lawyers were comfortable enough to notarize without meeting me face to face. While the final decision in all cases were the notary's, there are ways to get it done if you're creative!

#22 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for your response, Deb. I do have a Power of Attorney and have now discussed the matter with my lawyer, so it is all covered. I appreciate you taking the time to provide me (and others) with consistently good and reputable information.

Valli

#23 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

Absolutely ridiculous. Shame on both P. & P. for harming the integrity of this board. I'm embaressed for you both.

#24 SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

I'm not selling books and I know that there's a total disconnect between JMEX and Paula and, maybe, between the notary question and "Cozumel, The Complete Guide II." But there are two things I want to say, unrelated to notaries:

1. Though I haven't seen Patricia's new book, I hope that it's similar to and as thoroughly researched as the old one which was a useful reference for English-reading visitors as well as residents. I don't consider it a travel guide that says "do this and see that" -- it's a thorough, independent, compilation that no one else here provides. I also hope that she included the Cruz Roja this time around! In every case, an endeavor of this type will be dated before it's published since businesses and hours change as frequently as the weather.

2. Patricia: You posted a question on this public forum -- now deleted. And Paula -- who always tries to be helpful -- answered it to the best of her knowledge and correctly. But, as you said, that wasn't the answer you were looking for. And then you went further (unnecessarily) and accused her without foundation or proof, of committing an unrelated act -- under an assumed name, on some other internet site -- that hurt you personally. That's just wrong. And it is also wrong that, rather than your apology for that error, your "proof" (the review itself without more) found its way here. You can delete your posts, but that doesn't undo the hurt and further compounds the damage.

#25 SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

Well said DebB.

#26 SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

Absolutely ridiculous. Shame on both P. & P. for harming the integrity of this board. I'm embaressed for you both.

#27 SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

Huh? I'm embarrassed for YOU!! If you followed along with this topic, you will notice that CozAholic personally attacked Coz2Wonder, when Coz2Wonder was only offering friendly advice and trying to help. I don't see anywhere on this topic that Coz2Wonder HARMED the INTEGRITY of this board. Ridiculous!!

#28 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

Both of them have proven by many past posts that they are spoons...they like to stir up trouble.

#29 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

wow, just came back and your still taking about this....

Spoons, yuck that sounds like a sleeping arrangement.

Move along, the accident is over, nobody died.

Lets have some froglegs, and just settle down.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#30 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

Nothing to see here people. Please move along...... hehe...... :huh:

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#31 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users