• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 kjy

kjy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:13 PM

I met Jeff in July at Wet Wendys. He claimed he built high dollar kitchens in the states. He talked the talk and promised a fabulous kitchen. I gave him a sizable down payment to start (my fault right off the bat) and was very excited. Then more talk about how hard he was working, bla bla bla. In a nut shell, after having 7 weeks to complete, I started nagging and he said he quit. He would do no more and I had my monies worth. I got no kitchen and he received a sizable amount of money.

He also weasled sizable sums for medical bills from an injured arm from some very nice people who live here on the island.

There was another situation in which he claimed he was a property manager for 5 locations and also had started a dive business. Someone invested and became another innocent victim scammed out of money, for when they arrived, nothing was true. All lies and he took their money.

Now he sits and waits at Wet Wendys for bait. Tourists he can rope in and snag for anything from snorkeling adventures, discover scuba, diving, digging up turtle nests, trips around the island and anything else he thinks he can pull off for money.

Please be extremely leary of him. I do not want anyone else falling to his prey and loosing hard earned money. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but I am really sickened by the arrogance of this man. Now I can leave him for Karma and whatever the world has in store for him next. I have voiced my frustration and hope this helps others.

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

Profecto or the cops or a lawyer? That might help others even more?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 floridamike

floridamike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:drinks with friends, laughter, scuba diving, staying alive

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

I have been on this beautiful island 3 months, Q.Roo for 22 years, and I have never in such a short period of time, meet 4 people (so far) just like the guy you are describing. Be careful. Times are tough and the worst come out of the woodwork to take whatever they can get. Sad thing when there are so many good people here.

#4 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

Some suggestions...., get a picture of him if you can(have someone take a picture without him knowing it), go to immigration, file a demanda with police/ministerio publico(MP) and go to PROFECO if he has a business of record. You may want to get some help from Monica with this matter.

#5 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

Get a picture and post it here. We'd like to know.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

Or hire MSLF to take the picture. I bet he could catch the crook in some beautiful scenery or eating a really good looking meal.... :P

Seriously though, people do this stuff because most people do not pursue all legal recourse, so do that and save the next guy.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

I'm sure Chad and Klara would love to know that their place of business is his preferred place to prey on people!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#8 kjy

kjy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

Immigration was notified and they acted quickly. He has no working papers at all, simply a tourist visa for 6 months. They fined him for working here illegaly.

It is a shame he hangs out at Wet Wendys. Chad and Clara are wonderful people, have the best margaritas on the island, a terrific fun staff and totally rock.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the alert. It is a shame he was only given a fine, not much of a deterrent for people like him.

TRAVELER89 has excellent advice, I would pursue every angle of this to try and recop some expenses, and perhaps, his stay on the island will be much shorter then he thinks.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

Immigration was notified and they acted quickly. He has no working papers at all, simply a tourist visa for 6 months. They fined him for working here illegaly.

It is a shame he hangs out at Wet Wendys. Chad and Clara are wonderful people, have the best margaritas on the island, a terrific fun staff and totally rock.

If he is still here you need to sue this guy. If he leaves the island proceed with the process. If he is not on the island when his case comes up he will automatically lose and you will have a settlement for monetary damages. If and when he returns you can then have him immediately arrested for not paying you and he will not be let out until he pays.

Cozumel Diving

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

If he is still here you need to sue this guy. If he leaves the island proceed with the process. If he is not on the island when his case comes up he will automatically lose and you will have a settlement for monetary damages. If and when he returns you can then have him immediately arrested for not paying you and he will not be let out until he pays.

Now that's the ticket. Ruin his day....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 conchitta

conchitta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

So we got it that he did not finish the job, but you did not mention how were the cabinets? Did he do a good job building them?

#13 kjy

kjy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:32 AM

I've attached some pictures and let you decide. I was not real happy. He is very messy. Never sanded any of the inside cabinets, they are raw wood with a coat of paint slapped on.......

Attached Files

• Attached File  057.JPG   51.04KB   222 downloads
  • Attached File  063.JPG   31.16KB   189 downloads
  • Attached File  066.JPG   32.84KB   171 downloads
  • Attached File  067.JPG   43.51KB   167 downloads
  • Attached File  068.JPG   35.96KB   163 downloads
  • Attached File  070.JPG   62.48KB   171 downloads
  • Attached File  072.JPG   28.86KB   159 downloads
  • Attached File  074.JPG   39.44KB   166 downloads
  • Attached File  075.JPG   57.91KB   184 downloads
  • Attached File  076.JPG   69.31KB   173 downloads

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

Oh, my gosh!! He built the cat bowl into the counter!! :P

Having contracted a kitchen, I know part of the job my guy did was covering the boo-boos at the end of the job so it looks great. It seems it would you would have had ALOT of covering up on your job. Yikes. Did you get a MX lawyer yet?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#15 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

Good luck getting that finished. Smoking dope will do that to a good carpenter. Looks like he had some knowledge just forgot about it. The plywood sticking above the pennisula counter top really confused me, although not getting the window centered troubled me also. Only good news is that the method of construction is probably correct to be able to hang doors on should you so desire. Met the guy in a bar did you?

#16 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

OMG this guy's work is astoundingly awful. The cabinet overlapping the glass block window is laughable. Not only is Jeff a rip-off, he's freakin' incompetent. I extend my sympathies. This will have to be redone.
:( :angry: :(

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

If you are looking for him, he should be walking now:

COZUMEL, October 7 .- Jeffrey Gaylor Risch, 51-year-old native of Michigan and who was made available to the Federal Ministry of the Attorney General's Office (PGR) in Cozumel, not to prove the legality of a motorcycle with foreign plates, which was driving, was released on bail.

According to sources within the Attorney General's Office (PGR), with representation in Cozumel, the person who was caught driving a motorcycle with license plates from abroad and who could not prove legal documents of stay of the vehicle, was bail release form, because of the necessary elements to continue to detain the absence of any wrongdoing.

As you may recall, minutes after it unveiled the assault with a deadly weapon (the last Wednesday night) in a first jewelry box the city, all police authorities (federal, state and municipal) combined to give the whereabouts of those responsible. Thus, members of the Preventive Federal Police on the island, carried out their work of inspection and verification of suspects.

During the tour they did, they realized that on Avenida Pedro Joaquin Coldwell and Avenida Juarez Colonia Lopez Mateos a person of foreign origin on a motorcycle black, Honda, model 2006, serial number 1HFSC46FX6A507367, 17A5551 license plates, the State of California.

At the interview the subject on board, he said Risch called Jeffrey Gaylor, 51 years old and originally from Michigan, so he requested the documents of the motorcycle, and unable to make such a claim had to be made available to the Ministry Federal Public transport like where you went.

However, hours later got his bail by failing to take the necessary elements to consign to the relevant authorities, in addition to that presented the requested documents.

It should be mentioned that so far this year, the number of vehicles detected in similar circumstances have been immobilized and made available to the MPFF, although federal authorities have indicated that it is rare to detect such situations.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#18 conchitta

conchitta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:33 AM

To all those that are trying to ruin a life of a fellow AMERICAN over kitchen cabinets, remember there are always 2 sides to every story. When you hire a custom cabinet maker in a bar WTF?????????? I am sure he was hired because he was inexpensive, so you get what you pay for. Next time hire a Mexican. And if you do know anything about Karma it takes no action (like putting someone in jail) Karma has it's own power and it feeds from negative and positive energy I am an expert on karma because "MY NAME IS EARL"

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:56 AM

I think Karma did come full circle...picture is in Por Esto.

The cabinets speaks volumes of skill, and ability.

You can't make right, what is soooooooo wrong.

After seeing the pictures, not only would I not allow him to hang my cabinet doors, I wouldn't let him hang my laundry!

The person who should have been hired is the person who is LEGAL to work here!

Speaking of illegal workers here, do not hire, buy, or support them in any way. We all have to do it RIGHT, they should NOT BE REWARDED FOR DOING IT WRONG.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#20 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

Well, I don't think any of us were trying ruin him. My suggestion were to report to local authorities and seek a lawyer to adjudicate any tort. Should the guy not be wrong, I would guess he would win in court.

If they lived in the states, I would tell them to take him to court too.

I do agree though we should not illegally take MX jobs if that is the case. After all we complain when the opposite occurs.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users