• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cozydreaming

cozydreaming

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

I need a tailor who can hem and tailor some items for me, anyone have any recommendations for a tailor on the Island?

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

Lot of people use the guy on the corner of Avenida 15 and Calle 3 sur, a block north of the oficina de migracion. Fine dress making needs, Facundo, whose house is set way back from the street behind usually open yellow and white gates, west side of the street, mid block. Ave 25 between 5 and 7 in Centro

And, finally, Scuba Woman has a seamstress she highly recommends. Search for Seamstress and posts by Scuba Woman and it should turn her up.

None of these folks speak any English whatsoever so prepare accordingly.

#3 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

I usually bring 2 or 3 things with me for Rene and Adolfo at Jordan's - the tailoring place on 15 and 3. They do decent work and it is astonishingly inexpensive, compared to my area here in CA. Be sure and be specific about who does it though, as Rene is trying to get his teenage son, Jordan, into the trade but I don't think Jordy has the talent or inclination. I had to bring back some poor work that the son had attempted which was redone promptly by Dad at no charge. I like Rene, but Adolfo is a sweetheart and does great work too. Carey is right, no English spoken here.

Also found Facundo this trip, thanks to the Mom & Pop section of this board. I'm looking for someone who has a serger and can alter knit fabric. My bad Spanish and his no English made for a comical conversation, but I believe we finally established that he does. I should have been more prepared for what I wanted to say. Material like a T-shirt = como una playera. I will bring something back for him next trip and see. He showed me some fabulous dress making examples. I bet he does a lot of work for Carnaval.

I have yet to try "the other guys" sastreria across the street and down a few doors from Jordan's. Also I noticed there is a small 1 man shop open now across from Otate's Tacos on 15.

Found Scuba Woman's seamstress by searching:

"...Marie is on Mujica (sp?) between Morelos and 3. The street is one street east of Ave. 30; the house is the second one on the right, 2 story, white with blue trim. Her office is downstairs and they live upstairs. If the office door is closed, just call for her."

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#4 Hampster

Hampster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Movies, SCUBA, dogs, friends & fun

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:32 PM

David Labranche has a tailor who custom makes his shorts, pants and shirts
Hampster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users