• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VermontJ

VermontJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

I'm considering renting a car in Cozumel for 2 weeks. The cost of renting the car seems very reasonable, but if I remember correctly, there used to be issues and controversies regarding getting insurance. So....
What type of insurance should I get? Will my credit card cover the CDW part of the insurance as it does in Costa Rica? How much should I expect to pay for the insurance for 2 weeks? Any suggestions/recommendations as to which rental company to rent from?
Thanks for your help.

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

There is a really long thread on here some place. The key points are, whatever your credit card does cover, you will need to pay the damages on the island before you leave and then hope to get the card to pay you back later. Standard advice everyone gives is buy the insurance with car. That is usually why the internet looks cheap, as they don't list the insurance. There was also a horror story about you being liable even with insurance for lost wages of someone you hit. There was a bunch of talk and it involves if they are covered by MX social security and all. I would just make sure whoever you rent from is going to show up IMMEDIATELY if you are in an accident. Personally, I carry our attorney's number and the consulate numbers, just for extra safety. And I am not riding a bicycle to Caleta every morning....

Others will mention other rentals, but a general island favorite is Isis. The lady that runs the place is a sweetheart. For her, I think you are looking at around $35 a day for beater VW bug, no ac. Or you can get a little chevy stick with ac for a little more. Or a automatic with AC will cost you around 45-50 a day. These are all with full insurance. I think if you drive it off a cliff and wreck it, you are liable for like $400? Some love the bugs. I had one of the chevys and it was a nice clean good car. Here is there link and email is on the page: Isis

I have also rented from Executive. Executive More expensive. Also print your deal and take it along, as they don't always get the memo. First time they had no idea about my reservation, but they honored what I told them and took care of me. I only used a second time because of the need for a mini van. The first time I got a jeep liberty and it was like new. They were more expensive.

Currently I am using Pirata/Rooster. Adrien there was recommended by a friend of mine. I get a nice automatic with AC after a little negotiation for a good price. If you want one for 2 weeks he would prob make you a good deal. I have no idea how to email him, but I think his current cell is 011-52- (987) 116-7569. The last part is right. I think the intl. dialing part at the front is right. I usually Facebook my bud and he gets ahold of him. He has smaller sticks and auto, but we like the 4 door that is like a cross between a Hyundai and a dodge. They have one of their offices in the little walking mall behind Fat Tuesdays. Coming from the ferry, walk straight into the square and make a left at the cowboy boots at Fat Tuesday. It is back there on the right. The missus cracked a curb and busted a rim and tire turning around once. I think we paid like $70 for that boo boo and he brought us another car till he fixed that one and brought it back. Very nice guy. If you want our reliable blue car, tell him El Jefe said get the "puta car" (apparently someone was angry and scratched that on the trunk. Make is easy to find your car....)

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 VermontJ

VermontJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

That was a great reply. Thanks a lot.

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

Any alcohol consumption will invalidate insurance and lead to the presumption of guilt. If you are judged guilty, you will be detained until all costs and charges have been paid. The only "discussion" regarding lost wages and application of IMSS (Social Security) coverage was one sided made by a Canadian innkeeper, NOT a Mexican attorney. You are not in Kansas anymore. Use paid parking lots downtown. Use common sense, an abundance of caution and you should be fine.

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

I certainly didn't want to say the lost wages meant anything. I think the last I heard about it was when I read this post from April 8th of this year and it made sense just to be aware of the little bit of controversy :

"This concerns the recent discussion of the incident that involved the pastor and the difficulty of providing for lost wages during the time of incapacity. Someone quotes Margarita of Isis on TA as saying no, her insurance does not provide this coverage. If you are found at fault in an accident, you would be responsible with completing an agreement with the injuried parties to cover lost wages. I will seek confirmation personally with Margarita. I don't like to post second/third hand information without confirmation. If Margarita says no, that is a bad sign. I'd be inclined to assume her insurance would be about average at worst, if she doesn't cover it, my guess others wouldn't either.

Seeing how this is an entirely new situation and would be affecting full time locals, I feel it wise for people to investigate their coverage. I would not rely upon information from a rental agency, they may not know, they may be strongly motivated to tell you what you want to hear. I have seen and heard enough that I feel there is confirmation of new changes in the application of the law and this affects everyone, locals, tourists, Mexicans, vehicle owners, not just rentals. I'll try to investigate and I am sure others will as well. It really needs a definitive answer from an attorney and an explanation from an insurance agent.

For say a full time government worker paid a base salary without addition tips or bonuses, it could be pretty straight forward. Many people are paid by debit card electronic deposits with a paper trail and proof of income. However those who depend upon tips, maids and waiters for example or for commission earning sales people, then you could be far more complicated.

Please, whatever you do, don't try running over a time share sales person hoping for a ruling of justifiable homicide. Their incomes might have peaks and valleys sharper than the Sierra Madres. Diamond jewelry sales people as well."

Charles are you a Canadian Innkeeper? :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#6 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

Charles are you a Canadian Innkeeper? :P

No I am not and Dan Kom is not a Mexican attorney. According to various car rental agencies and confirmed by Anne Harris, U.S. Consulate representative, none of the rental insurance will cover lost wages. In investigating the recent history, I spoke with three people who were required to pay compensation for wages and one person who received money. When a person is at fault in an accident, all claims, damages and compensation must be completed to the victims' satisfaction before they sign off and the person is released from legal or civil liability. Some people feel bulletproof, they drink and drive and don't carry any insurance at all. If they choose to self insure, $10,000 dollars cash would be good to have on hand as a start. They risk an extended vacation in Chetumal at a zero star facility which promises to be a life changing event if additional criminal charges are filed.

If car rental agencies say their full coverage insurance covers everything EXCEPT lost wages, I'd believe them.

The misinformation stated by Dan was an excuse for those who insist on believing and hearing only what they want to believe, that nothing bad can ever happen in "paradise". I get my legal advice from fully accredited Mexican attorneys, I suggest everyone do likewise. I did get personal confirmation from Margarita as well as several other rental agencies. I'll repeat that alcohol consumption by drivers or their passengers may invalidate any and all insurance coverage. Drive safely, obey all traffic regulations including seat belts laws and you should not have any problems.

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

So you are saying you are on the hook? I thought you were yelling at me about mentioning the wages thing as it was BS. Now I think you are yelling at me because it is important. Or are you are yelling at someone else. All I am pretty sure about is you are yelling. And you can't drive a drunk home? Really? And I am totally confused about who the Canadian Inn keeper is? Is Dan the Innkeeper? Who the heck is Dan? I am so confused...

I am the eggman, they are the eggmen.
I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob. :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#8 VermontJ

VermontJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

OK, I checked into the cost of insurance and it's $15/day for CDW plus $13/day for liability. Credit cards will not cover CDW in Mexico. The cost of insurance explained why the rental car was soooooooooooo cheap.
I now remember, in all the times we've been to Cozumel, why we never rented a car for the duration of our trip. We always took a taxi [$3 each way at that time]. We did do one day rentals when we wanted to loop the island.
However, the main reason for not renting a car this time is that when we go into town for dinner, I too want to have a margarita and not worry about being sober enough to drive back to the hotel.

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

Reasonable plan, I would say.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

Cvchief, I must say you did a very nice job summarizing insurance requirements and car rental recs from previous threads in your initial post! Good job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users