Photo

An the rains came, 1st "Norte" of the season.......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

The first "norte" of the season is pushing across the Gulf of Mexico against the warm moisted air of the Caribe, we've had nearly 6 inches of rain last night along with a moderate electrical storm, nearly 7 inches of rain have been reported for Cozumel in the last 24 hours, more to come this week....

T.

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

That sounds good. Is it going to blow the mossies out?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

I was wondering the same thing.....drown 'em!

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

No, the mosquitos will lay low and then breed in the new puddles wherever they can find them. Expect an onslaught 10 days after it stops raining. But maybe it will drown the adult female dengue carriers.

One piece of potential very good news, however, the first major norte usually heralds the end of hurricane season for our area of the carribbean. However, I cannot remember a full-fledged norte arriving so early. Earliest I remember was the first week in November.

Let's see if that rule applies in this instance. Because October is historically the most dangerous month for hurricanes to git us. And here comes this massive norte. Cross fingers! Plus, nothing coming off the coast of Africa right now or brewing in the Bay of Honduras, where many of our bad boys and girls come from late in the season.

The weather is changing!

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Carey,

You're killing me. I thought the first real norte seriously knocked down the dengue threat? What's next? You going to tell me WW no longer has frozen margaritas or El Moro stopped making Mole? :blink:

We bumped back the missus' Oct trip, but I was hoping November was going to be A-OK now.... Next you'll tell me the Esquites guy moved away....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:53 AM

I'm not an authority on the dengue carrying mosquitos. I can only tell you that after a whole lot of rain which is what we typically get in September and October and as long as the temp stays pretty hot, the mosquitos will come out 10 days after the last of the rain.

They don't like the 'chilly' temps of November through even April. And they can't breed when everything dries up. As it tends to do in the winter and early spring here not counting the nortes of which we had at least 27 last season I believe.

Maybe the heavy rains will kill the carriers. The problem is if there is still active dengue virus in the bodies of animals or people and they get bit by a female carrier at the end of the next breeding cycle, the whole thing could theoretically start up again.

Let's see what happens after this norte. If the weather turns cooler and stays cooler as it does after the usual first norte of November or December, then prolly low mosquitos and no sizeable tormentos coming our way.

I'm off the island at the mo' so hope to hear weather reports that things are staying cooled off and not returning to the typical steamy October I have come to loath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users