Photo

Since 2012 Restuarant rec. not posted, what are the current recs?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 VermontJ

VermontJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

It has been a while since we were in Coz. last. Our favorite retsaurant has always been El Moros. La Chosa OK and last dinner at Poncho's Back Yard used to be amust. Are those restaurants still there? Still good?
We are looking for suggestions for reasonalbly priced restuarants serving good food. Locally owned rather than gringo owned.
Any help appreciated.

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Who doesn't love El Moro? (Ok there is someone on here) I love that place, there and going strong. Ray is a sweetheart.

I like La Choza. It is a favorite of alot of people. Oh, and someone advised me to get the frozen avacado pie. Holy moly, that is good. Share a piece though. It is rich enough to kill the Prince of Wales. My more plebeian friends love the frozen chocolate pie.

Speaking of pie, my sister in law order a key lime I think from Zermatt bakery and picked it up the next day. She was in heaven....

I only ate at Ponchos once. Lemme give you a little advice: DO NOT order your margaritas con roco, con sal, made with Hornitos. The upcharge on the drink is murder. They were really good and I did like the food. And I think the dinner may have been cheaper than the drinks... :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

We like Especias, Casa Denis, Mezcalito's West, Sabores, La Cocay, Conchita Del Caribe and our favorite is Blue Angel. On the east side we like Chen Rio for seafood and burgers at Freedon In Paradise.
In the last 3 months there have been at least 10 posts on different restaurants. See below (and beyond) for recs.

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

You may also wish to check the Food and Drink section of this website. Those recommendations are kept up to date.

#5 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

My favorites, in no particular order - For lunch, Sabores, hands down. Small, locally owned, great food, very reasonable, & friendly people, and very pleasant sitting out in the back yard with a group of friends. For Dinner - Danube - pricier & a bit out of the way (way south, by Cruise Ship Pier), but Food & Service are outstanding, and atmosphere is very nice. Then, I really like Pancho's Backyard as well - I've had some very nice meals there, & love the Banana Flambe dessert. I also like Rolandi's - it has a very good Pasta Puttanesco (one of my favorites, I love the flavors melded together in that quick pasta sauce; Rolandi's is not as good as my home-made, but it's pretty good). I haven't been to La Cocay since it moved out of the Corpus Christi Neighborhood (how long ago was that?), but as I recall the food was outstanding & the wine selection was better; it was pricey for a Cozumel Restaurant then, but worth the price for a romantic dinner. I love La Mission - my preference is Casa Mission - the house back around Ave. 65 - the atmosphere of that old Spanish Casa, or eating out in the garden, is well worth the taxi ride. Do watch the Salsa there - just a bit more habanero than I'm used to, if I don't watch myself, I end up sweating from every pore before breaking into hiccoughs. And I have really enjoyed dinners at The Veranda. And a trip to Coz would not be complete for me without at least one big lunch of Fajitas and Cerveca sitting on the waerfront at Ernesto's (It also has a great cheap Breakfast - just wish that it opened earlier so I could go on days I was diving).

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

I have eaten at La Cocay in el centro. It was very nice. I have to agree on the Danube. I felt like poor white trash that place is so nice. :P

And, Pecos, who DOESN'T like to talk about eating in Coz. I gotta try the Blue Angel I guess. I never thought of it as a restaurant more as the place where the guests eat.

Oh and how about Kinta. That is like my food network special kinda place. Just the proper sized portions with incredible presentation. If I was cool and owned a restaurant, I would have a place like that. ( I mean assuming I was cool and a world class chef....)

Speaking of Kinta, did you see Kris is running the a marathon for Diabetes? Sign up and donate....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

Drove by La Veranda one night last week. I'm pretty sure they have closed down. I swear I saw a For Sale or For Rent sign on the outside.

Del Sur is another big favorite of ours. Argentinian empanadas, best steak on the island, excellent seafood parillada (not on the menu), and wonderful salads. I'm particularly fond of the dessert empanadas (chocolate & banana, dulce de leche, membrillo, yummmmmmmmmmm). It's located at the corner of Avenida 5 and Calle 3. The owner, Rene, is absolutely the best!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:39 PM

I STILL haven't made it to Del Sur. So much to eat, so little time....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#9 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

I haven't heard of Del Sur before -- How did I miss this one? Can I get a little more info? Price range, food types, etc. Will I have to check this out when I come in December?

#10 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:32 AM

You MUST check it on in December! I listed pretty much the general menu above. There are probably 10 or so other empanadas (shrimp - cheese, pepperoni, & jalapeno - cheese, bacon & plum - chorizo - chicken - beef - can't remember others). Each empanada is $17-$20 pesos. The steaks are $160 to about $300 depending on the cut. Rene ships sides of beef in from Argentina and cuts his own steaks. The parillada of beef has steak, chorizo, shortribs, and sweetbreads - about $360 pesos feed 2-4 people. The seafood parillada has 2 grouper filets, 6 shrimp, and a lobster tail - $500 pesos and feeds 2-4 people. How many the parillada feeds depends on how many empanadas you have as appetizers and whether or not you add a salad that is big enough to share.

You can't go wrong at Del Sur. Rene is wonderful and is more than happy to help you with your selection. I've tried almost everything now except for a couple of the empanadas.

OH! I forgot to tell you they have homemade dulce de leche ice cream and another one (something like sabeyon - sp?). ENJOY!

Kandy

#11 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

Sabayon is a french concoction made with egg yolks & sugar, whipped together until pale yellow, then heated very gently over a double boiler until it thickens, usually flavored with a liqueur. The classic italian version (it has a different name, similar to Sabayon) is flavored with Sweet Marsala wine. I've made it, and it is VERY versatile - you can flavor it with Lemon juice & zest, served over fresh berries, or with any of several liqueurs, like Grand Marnier, Amaretto, Frangelica, or just your favorite spice (vanilla & cinnamon both work well). It's easy to make, & great to make a quick but elegant dessert. I love it.

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

You MUST check it on in December! I listed pretty much the general menu above. There are probably 10 or so other empanadas (shrimp - cheese, pepperoni, & jalapeno - cheese, bacon & plum - chorizo - chicken - beef - can't remember others). Each empanada is $17-$20 pesos. The steaks are $160 to about $300 depending on the cut. Rene ships sides of beef in from Argentina and cuts his own steaks. The parillada of beef has steak, chorizo, shortribs, and sweetbreads - about $360 pesos feed 2-4 people. The seafood parillada has 2 grouper filets, 6 shrimp, and a lobster tail - $500 pesos and feeds 2-4 people. How many the parillada feeds depends on how many empanadas you have as appetizers and whether or not you add a salad that is big enough to share.

You can't go wrong at Del Sur. Rene is wonderful and is more than happy to help you with your selection. I've tried almost everything now except for a couple of the empanadas.

OH! I forgot to tell you they have homemade dulce de leche ice cream and another one (something like sabeyon - sp?). ENJOY!

I hope you are happy... I just drooled on myself.... :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#13 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

LMAO cvchief! If you just drooled on yourself, I did a good job! And, if you think what you read made you drool, wait till you go to Del Sur yourself! WOW! ;)

Kandy

#14 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

Del Sur is my favorite. I wish he was open for lunch. And although the new place is great I loved getting a fresh plate from the old place while I waited on Margarita to finish the paperwork on the rental. Rene is probably the nicest person I have ever met on the island. Has a great memory too. He remembered us from a year ago.

Casa Denis is a new favorite. Its just so convienent to the square and the waiters are awesome. We ate there 3x this year.

El Foco is also a new favorite. wish they were open for lunch too.

Had Casa Mission last year. Didnt make it there this year but wish I would have.

Guidos was very good. There is a coupon online for a free 1/2 pitcher of sangria. I dont care for wine but this stuff was great. The waiter kindly asked if he could have the coupon. I expected that anyway. He told me it was only the second one they have ever seen.

#15 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

Some of our favorites are:

~Camilos on 5th Ave. great spot for lunch.
~San Carlos Pescadaria the food always fresh and good. And who can argue with free grouper ceviche?
~Camarones Dorado on the trans-island road. Great place to grab take out before heading to the beaches on the eastside.
~Los Careycitos on 65th. Last time we were on the island Tres Gatitos our favorite place for panuchos and salbutes was closed so we went here and were very happy we did. Only open at night.
~Taqueria Molina in the Mercado. Everything is good here. Breakfasts, tacos, gorditos, club sandwiches. We love eating here. 4 people can stuff themselves for under $15us.

We also like Casa Denis. The chile rellanos with shrimp is always my first dinner on the island.
The burritos at Wet Wendy's are some of the best I've had.
Our 16 year old has had a crush on Adrian for years, so we always go to Especias. For that reason AND because the food is so good.

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

I agree with all BeachBum's rec.'s. And, yes, every girl has a little bit of a crush on Adrian. He is so handsome but also has such a sweet nature.

#17 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

Del Sur is my favorite. I wish he was open for lunch. And although the new place is great I loved getting a fresh plate from the old place while I waited on Margarita to finish the paperwork on the rental. Rene is probably the nicest person I have ever met on the island. Has a great memory too. He remembered us from a year ago.

C

I wish he was still open for lunch too, a few empanadas were a perfect sized lunch. The new place is great, I have had the 1/2 Pollo a few times and it is grilled and spiced to perfection. I am a chicken lover and this is probably the best piece of chicken I have ever had. We have been going to Del Sur since the week Rene opened and we always stop there a few times every trip.

Other favorites El Moro, Especias, Casa del Mojito, Kinta, Sabores, the rotisserie chicken place on 30, Le Chef/Olive, Camaron Dorrado (sp), Otates, El Pique just to name a few. I am with you CV anytime I start thinking of food on Coz I want to start drooling.

#18 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

I was there in Sept 2011 and had awesome meals at:

Pepe's Bar n Grill

Palmeras

Rolandi's

and the surprise and favorite was the shrimp, fish sandwiches and margaritas at Coconuts on the east side - hands down my favorite...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#19 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

Each to his own of course but I think Coconut's food is not good. That's just my 2 cents.

#20 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

Each to his own of course but I think Coconut's food is not good. That's just my 2 cents.

I had a decent fish sandwich there. Of course the location probably made it better. :D

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users