43 replies to this topic

#1 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

Robbery at DI tonight..... 8 or more, armed with automatic weapons and heavy hammers attempted to rob the DI at 2 and Melgar tonight around 8:00....., shots fires, 2 or more injured....., ferry to Playa tonight @ 9:00 was canceled, search continues on the island. Check local news tomorrow morning for more details.

T.

#2 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

We live about 2 blocks from there...heard the police activity...it was crazy!

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

Great. This is just what the island needs when it's struggling to survive. Petty theft is one thing, but if this is starting we're in for a rough ride.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

They have their own security guy don't they? No gun?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:51 PM

what i read and what i saw on the news...
the security guard was hit on the head with their gun and was taken to the hospital for that injury. others were taken in for crisis shock. the tv news said nothing about anyone getting shot, although yes, shots were fired.
they got a few of them (i saw 3 being taken on the news), and they got the minivan. they say it was the same MO as a jewelry store robbery in merida not too long ago.
http://www.yucatan.c...-en-cozumel.htm
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

Poor guy. No gun and they still crack him in the head. Saw him walking around on the news with the big bandage, so he must be ok, generally.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

They have their own security guy don't they? No gun?

Do you really want to see a gunfight in a jewelry store? There were 8 guys. It could have been a blood bath. 7 have been apprehended.

Cozumel Diving

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

What on earth were they thinking? They were never going to get off the island. Now it's only a matter of time before one of the 7 caught cuts a deal and turns in the other one who must be cowering somewhere. They should have come across in a jet boat and torn in and out. Like that ferry robbery about 6 years ago. That would have been their only chance.

#9 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

That's why I tell all my friends and relatives how safe Cozumel is to visit ... what are the bad guys going to do? Wait for the next ferry to escape?

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

it seems to be much safer then say Cupertino, Ca yesterday.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

What on earth were they thinking? They were never going to get off the island. Now it's only a matter of time before one of the 7 caught cuts a deal and turns in the other one who must be cowering somewhere. They should have come across in a jet boat and torn in and out. Like that ferry robbery about 6 years ago. That would have been their only chance.

I heard that the police think that one of the guys from yesterdays robbery was in on the ferry robbery. If you remember they threw a couple of security guys overboard.

Cozumel Diving

#12 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

I just came from the pier, lots of excitement. Tons of cops checking everyone, I was sitting talking to a friend when 2 girls and a guy came walking up and all of a sudden there were 10 or so cops all over them. They put each one of them into a different truck and the one girl was yelling "I am a Minor" in spanish of course. Then I spoke with the manager at Caroloha's right near the DI and she was there when it happened, she said the cop on the corner with a machine gun ran and hid behind a cart, because he had the gun, but no clip in it...go figure. Also the cop at the pier said they got 3 last night, 3 this afternoon and there are 4 more...of course it is street talk, so have no idea if the cop was right.

#13 cozlulu

cozlulu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

Robbery at DI tonight..... 8 or more, armed with automatic weapons and heavy hammers attempted to rob the DI at 2 and Melgar tonight around 8:00....., shots fires, 2 or more injured....., ferry to Playa tonight @ 9:00 was canceled, search continues on the island. Check local news tomorrow morning for more details.

T.

Oh, so nice to see these postings that potential tourists read too. Just one more posting to scare people away from the island. Chizme - shots were fired when they weren't. Wonder how many people that'll scare away from our already strugging economy. Though this is "local talk", potential visitors to the Island read it too.

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

Oh, so nice to see these postings that potential tourists read too. Just one more posting to scare people away from the island. Chizme - shots were fired when they weren't. Wonder how many people that'll scare away from our already strugging economy. Though this is "local talk", potential visitors to the Island read it too.

I have a different take on it. Look what a huge deal is being made over this. The whole town is mobilizing for what is obviously a VERY RARE occurrence. The fact that everyone is so excited and talking about it is because things like this happen very seldom here. It's sort of like a robbery in Andy Griffin's Mayberry if you're familiar with that popular US television show from the 60's by chance.

In short, I find it quite reassuring and I think tourists will too. But then I've lived in a lot of places in the states where this type of thing happened on a bi weekly basis and people just shrug their shoulders in resignation because that's Just the Way It Is.

#15 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

I have to agree with Cary on this one. When the police caught the 3 at the ferry pier everyone at the pier and on the streets broke out into applause, locals and many cruise ship tourists alike.

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

Do you really want to see a gunfight in a jewelry store? There were 8 guys. It could have been a blood bath. 7 have been apprehended.

Sure I would rather armed gunmen be encouraged by the fact the guard is unarmed. I think if they took his uniform off, maybe they would not even have tried to split his skull. Maybe too I want the unarmed cops to cover up their uniforms so they won't get hurt. It would be much better to just let the armed cops meet them on a public street and have blood bath there.

No, on second thought I would still rather have the preventative measure of an armed, trained guard. You only have to look more difficult to rob than the other guy. Just cuz they had guns, doesn't mean they are brave enough to enter a store with armed guards. Or take the poor sob outta there so they don't try to cave his head in next time. I am fine that way too. And order the unarmed cops off the street so the scumbags don't nervous and pop on of them. Or did I read one of them got cracked in the head too? Do it or don't do it, but don't do it halfway. It gets people hurt.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

You can always go with the cover up.B) It works for a while as long as Por Esto doesn't hire Wooward and Bernstein. I think Coz is handling it well from what I have read so why bother? And who want CMC to be "All the News that's Fit to Print. Except the bad stuff that scares tourists..." I would rather have an occasional armed robbery instead of those dengue mosquitoes....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#18 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

Wow excitement in Cozumel. One thing Ilike about most criminals being a cop for the last thirty years is that most of them are not the sharpest tools in the closet and it's obvious these were not the sharpest. "Hey Paco lets take the ferry to cozumel and rob Diamonds international" hey great idea we'll just catch the ferry back right.

Hey I agree with carey it's such an a rare thing on Cozumel Hell I work in Golden Colorado with a population of 20,000 and we've had 6 armed robberies in 6 weeks go figure :blink:
Breath in Breath out move on

#19 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

[

Cozumel Diving

#20 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

As one who has intervened in a robbery in front of my house a long time ago....proper choice of firearms is impt. (small pistol, big pistol, rifle?)

Glad they caught the guys.

Our perp went to prison with a colostomy bag. "No officer, I never fired a shot. Why do you ask?"

(The long version is a least a beer long.)

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users