10 replies to this topic

#1 chunter

chunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

Hi to all.
We love staying in town at the Vista and going out to the beach clubs during the day. Is there bus service that we could use or is a car a must have. Open to suggestions. We use ISIS and they are very nice and dependable.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

They keep talking about bus service to the beaches and to the wild side of the island but, to my knowledge, it has never come to pass. The taxi union is extremely powerful here and it would not be in their interest to allow that kind of service to be provided. (Please someone tell me this info is out of date???!!!)

If you are staying in town, you can get to beach clubs in the northern hotel zone and as far south as the Money Bar and Channkanabb for around $25 RT in a taxi. Less than you'll pay for a rental and no worries about insurance, etc.

When I used to vacation here back in the days before we moved here a long time ago, we always stayed in town. We would take taxis as described, rent bikes and toodle around town and then typically rent a car for two days to explore the far out beaches and cruise the wild side.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

Sorry, no beach buses...would be nice.

I verified yesterday the taxi charge for ONE WAY from the following locations:

Paradise Beach, Mr. Sancho's, and Allegra Hotel: 180p's each way (2 persons)

My friends did get it for $150p's after a little negotiation.

Aura is at the high end with the beach areas.

BTW, at Mr. Sancho's there was a very large board with the taxi fares published, so no guessing to the cost.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Isn't the the Taxi union powerful because of the 80k resident about 40k have a taxi? Swear it was about 40k I saw lined up waiting at the cruise ship pier.... :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

until it rains, then NADA...NOTHING, GONE, VANISHED!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

Maybe oneday the taxi union will put a bus into service. then again if they did the fare would probably cost too much.

#7 drjoe

drjoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:natural wellness/health ,the sea ,food , meeting interesting people

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:14 AM

To a frequent visitor on Cozumel the taxi & ferry situation is likely to be the single largest detractor from an otherwise great vacation. These 2 groups run their business like mafia & clearly have enough political clout to get away with it in Cozumel. If the Island was more transportation friendly, I believe that both day trips from the main land and hotel occupancy would improve.Consistantly the most annoying part of most of my Cozumel trips is dealing with those guys (trying not to get ripped off ) Fairly priced public transportation would be a wonderful addition to Cozumel

#8 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

I am certainly with you on your views regarding public transportation in Cozumel, drjoe. An increased and improved public transportation system in Cozumel would certainly contribute to a rise in visits and all the related benefits for Cozumel. I recall when efforts were made to implement a bus system just prior to Hurricane Wilma, but it never got off the ground post-Wilma. If you can figure out the routes, you can take the busses in town, which I finally did for the first time in September. All busses at some point stop at Chedraui. Many of us have been wanting more accessible and reasonable transportation, but regrettably, for reasons that have been stated, it is unlikely to happen any time soon. I have used the public bus system in both Puerto Vallarta and Ixtapa/Zihautenejo and it was excellent and you can go almost anywhere for a few pesos. In Zihautanejo the public busses stop operation in the early evening and the taxis take over, but everyone seems content with that arrangement and the busses and taxis co-exist in harmony.

Valli

#9 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:00 AM

What year did Cozumel first get taxis and how did the union thing come about? I mean who decided that it would be thus?

#10 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

I cant answer your question Pecos, but they had taxis in 1990, my 1st trip there.

As far as transport, rent a car for $40 and forget about public transport, unless you’re concerned about having an accident or getting a DUI.

True story, In Sept 2011, I saw some other tourists WALKING north on the highway at dusk in mosquito hell from Paradise bar n grill and their destination was right near the Money Bar... On my way back up north, I stopped and picked them up as I knew they were in trouble. I took them all the way back to their condo, refused to take any gas money, and just asked that when they re-tell the story, some awesome and friendly Texans rescued them from a long walk and a mosquito death... They even saw us at the airport and thanked us again... LOL

Moral of the story: Don’t get stranded on the south or east sides...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

The taxista union is a very strong supporter of the PRI party. Huge supporters. The PRI is almost always in power here. We had one grand mayor, Gustavo, who ran on the PAN ticket and won but now it's back to the PRI again with their deep ties to the taxistas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users