• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kwbound

kwbound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

Would we find better shore snorkeling (coral and sea life) in the water in front of the Park Royal resort, or at Chankanaab Park. We will be in Cozumel in Dec on cruise. We want to snorkel the first part of the day, maybe have some lunch and a drink before we head into town.

Thanks for your help.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

Neither. Try Corona Beach Club or The Money Bar.

#3 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

Yep Carey is right! :D
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

I scuba, so I have not snorkeled in front of money bar, but there were tons of excursions snorkeling there.

You can catch a cab over there from the pier for alot cheaper than an organized snorkeling tour, provided you own your own snorkeling gear.

Either that or the area across the street from Park Royal is walking distance from the cruise ship pier and would cost you nothing at all.

The prices @ the money bar are not too good - they dont call it the money bar for nothing lol
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

It is dangerous to snorkel in the area of the Park Royal. Lot of boat traffic so you will have to stay very close to shore and there's not much to see there. Corona Beach Club has better snorkeling than the Money Bar, actually. It's one of the last of the old-time funky little beach clubs and is just a short hop further down the road than the Money Bar.

Another possibility is to use the facility at Fiesta Americana. They don't seem to mind that as long as you order some drinks/and or food.

What several of my local friends do is park themselves at a table at either the Money Bar or Fiesta Americana depending on which way the current is running -- north or south. They drift snorkel between one place and the other and then either fin their way back if they want exercise and aren't tired or get out and walk back as it's pretty close and a pleasant walk.

It is fair to have to pay for the use of a table and umbrella. These businesses have to make money like anyone else and they provide a good service.

Money Bar rents snorkel gear. Not sure about Corona. I'm guessing not. If you decide to try snorkeling/walking as mentioned above, wear surf booties under strap on adjustable fins as the dead coral shorelines in the good snorkeling spots is owie on barefeet. Big Time.

Sadly, close to shore snorkeling still hasn't recovered from Hurricane Wilma which took out most of the coral heads in 15 feet or less of water. There are fish and some coral but nothing like before. It's coming back thanks to the strong currents that clean the coral and keep it nourished but it's not there yet.

If you really want a definitive snorkeling experience, consider booking a 3 hour boat trip -- morning or afternoon -- that visits the far south reefs and is quite stupendous for snorkeling. I always rec. my pal, Rosi Flury, because she is so enthusiastic, organized and conscientious. (Very good for new snorkelers, for example.) To read more about that trip go to http://www.cozumelmy...rkelingTour.htm

#6 kwbound

kwbound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for all of the input. We have been to the Money Bar before, so I think we will try Corona this time. Carey - I know your recommendations are good. We did Josephina's cooking class the last time we were in Cozumel on a land trip. We are hoping to be back for a few days in a few months, and we will try to book Rosi then.

Thanks again!

#7 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

Corona rents snorkel gear if you don't have your own stuff. Not sure of the prices though. Have a fun trip!

#8 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

Good call carey...

One thing I did notice this past trip was the increase in boat traffic near Park Royal / La Cieba... Luckily, I was scuba diving, but still several of the Fury cats cruised directly over us... Over at Money Bar, I saw only 1 boat come into that pier and was nowhere near the snorkelers.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users