• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Vanda

Vanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Hi....... I really could use all the help and info. I can get on where I can possibly buy coconut oil (either liquid in bottle or solid in jar).I've come across tips on Walmart stores on the mainland or the local pharmacy. Would truly appreciate any more definite tips on where I can find and buy the stuff.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

I would be very surprised if Dori Pharmacy on Salas between 15 and 20 in Centro doesn't carry what you're looking for. They have all sorts of oils sitting out on shelves in the center of the store. Kinda of fascinating, actually.

I've also seen a couple of other stores in that area that makes scents and sell herbs. Never went in so I can't remember where they were except to say between the 10 Avenida and the 25 Avenidas, on either Salas, Calle 1 or Juarez. So just park downtown, try Dori and then walk around and see if you find one of these other places.

Also you can ask them at Dori where you could go to get it. Or they'll order it for you. Aceite de Coco. Write it down and show it to them. Busco aceite de coco. (I am looking for coconut oil). If they don't have it and you can't find it elsewhere: Puedes pedirlo para mi? Can you order it for me?

If si, you typically pay 50% anticipo (in advance) and the rest when the product arrives. Dori isn't the cheapest place in town by a long shot but they have really good sources and orders tend to arrive quickly.

#3 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

I would be very surprised if Dori Pharmacy on Salas between 15 and 20 in Centro doesn't carry what you're looking for. They have all sorts of oils sitting out on shelves in the center of the store. Kinda of fascinating, actually.

I've also seen a couple of other stores in that area that makes scents and sell herbs. Never went in so I can't remember where they were except to say between the 10 Avenida and the 25 Avenidas, on either Salas, Calle 1 or Juarez. So just park downtown, try Dori and then walk around and see if you find one of these other places.

Also you can ask them at Dori where you could go to get it. Or they'll order it for you. Aceite de Coco. Write it down and show it to them. Busco aceite de coco. (I am looking for coconut oil). If they don't have it and you can't find it elsewhere: Puedes pedirlo para mi? Can you order it for me?

If si, you typically pay 50% anticipo (in advance) and the rest when the product arrives. Dori isn't the cheapest place in town by a long shot but they have really good sources and orders tend to arrive quickly.

Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#4 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

There is Coconut Oil (Organic) available at Chedraui or at Mega....its about $860 Pesos for a small jar...
This is oil for cooking that you are looking for...right? My daughter in law cooks with it all the time as she is on a special diet...It smells delicious!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

Oops, I was thinking she wanted it for making an emollient for something.

#6 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:13 AM

WOW! 860 pesos for a small jar? That is like 65$...better smell really good at that price :)

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

I'm sure that was a typo. $86 pesos or about $7.50/bottle.

#8 meganmalexan

meganmalexan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

Hi. I get my coconut oil at La Fiesta on 30th...it's 30 pesos for a large bottle.

#9 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

Hi. I get my coconut oil at La Fiesta on 30th...it's 30 pesos for a large bottle.

Yes typo...$86 pesos for an organix jar of coconut oil at Mega !!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#10 Vanda

Vanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the tip....... I'll check it out.

#11 Vanda

Vanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

Yes typo...$86 pesos for an organix jar of coconut oil at Mega !!

Thanks a lot to you too for confirming the right price at Mega. We sometimes drive to that store and we'll definitely check it out later.

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

There's more than one La Fiesta. The bigger one that carries almost exclusively baking supplies and ingredients is .... uh uh. dang. Help me out someone? It's at around 45 on a Calle. You'll save more than half the price getting your coconut oil here or at the one on 30.

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

I haven't checked in a while but Pacsadeli's have some interesting cooking oils.

Walnut, Grape-seed, and Sunflower oils. They came in a green, round can with a screw on cap.

I have used the coconut oil from Mega, and it was very good, and light.

I had no idea that La Fiesta was a food store, I though it was for party goods...

I would be really interested in the store Carey mentioned that has most of the baking goods.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

I'm going to guess that the Fiesta baking goods store is on Salas about 1 block east of the taxi office. So Salas between 40 and 45??? On the left side of the street. They have parchment paper and all sorts of other baking supplies. Interesting place. Linda Staton who does so much baking, told me about it.

I hope that's right. I'm thinking it is.

But it not, then its on Calle 4 Norte also between 40 and 45. Hope I'm not sending anyone on a wild goose chase.

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:37 PM

Thanks, I am not much of a baker (Linda is the best) but I do love to cook...which leads me to ask the following;

What about a cooking section of local and just really good dishes that all can enjoy.

Today I made (from scratch) Sopa de lima...I think it's right, but not real sure.

Steve makes some really good stuff that I would enjoy knowing what he bought, and how he cooked it.

I make the best onion soup on the planet, and it is only two ingredients, plus a crock pot, and time.

Just a value add spot on the site.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#16 Vanda

Vanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Have found the coconut oil ..... a 473 ml jar sells at 86 Mx Pesos on the int'l goods section at Chedraui, located beside the wine section which in turn is found infront of the cold cuts deli. A bigger jar sells for about 286 Mx Pesos (more or less) at the health foods store located in the basement level at Mega. Never checked Fiesta store as I find it more convenient for me to be able to buy it in the same place when we do our grocery shopping.

#17 J_CozDiver

J_CozDiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

Thanks, I am not much of a baker (Linda is the best) but I do love to cook...which leads me to ask the following;

What about a cooking section of local and just really good dishes that all can enjoy.

Today I made (from scratch) Sopa de lima...I think it's right, but not real sure.

Steve makes some really good stuff that I would enjoy knowing what he bought, and how he cooked it.

I make the best onion soup on the planet, and it is only two ingredients, plus a crock pot, and time.

Just a value add spot on the site.

RECIPE and COOKING SECTION ??
YES- YES- YES!!
Sorry for the shouting, but so excited about that prospect.
I experiment a lot here and have come up with Güera's version of many traditional recipes like a Tres Chiles Pollo Pazole.
I also have a crazy veggie and Chicken Chorizo lasagna that's pretty cool.(Mega carries a nice brand of Chicken Chorizo that's fun to cook with.
However, they regularly run out of it, so I keep some in hand in the freezer.) I have a similar recipe for Cannelloni.

I would love to see it. I am also experimenting with a lot of local veggie mixes to come up with lower fat and or lower cholesterol version of some favorites such as enchiladas, etc.

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

Let's do it! Good idea. Hang on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users