31 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

One of the best restaurants on Cozumel is shutting its doors at the end of tonight. Their business was basically ruined by rivals who used the Report Abuse function on Trip Advisor to say that Danube's management was manipulating the system. They also posted some really horrible reviews which were allowed to stand.

Repeated attempts to discuss these issues with the Trip Advisor staff both by phone and email had no effect. They were dropped from first to last place in the listings and all the many good reviews they'd received in past months were removed. Only bad reviews stayed up. New reviews posted in their support were not allowed to be posted.

If you look up abuse by Trip Advisor in a google search, you will see that this is not the only restaurant this huge website, owned by mega online booking agency Expedia has ruined in this manner. Basically, you pay to be a premium business member or you don't get any protection from this kind of thing. They just don't give a tinker's damn.

I'm mad enough to spit over this. But as I said, this is a mega business and they can pretty well do what they like. If you are mad too, vote with your typing fingers and boycott this website. It's basically for the Sheep anyway, Me Too-ers who want to follow the herd because the herd must be right. GRRRRRR!!!!!

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

This is just terrible. I so enjoyed the restaurant, staff and of course Raymond and his family.

What an abuse of power. This is YELLOW JOURNALISM now on the Internet.

Shameful, just shameful.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

58% of the stock in expedia, owner of Trip Advisor, is held by Barry Diller, one of the worst rape and pillage businessmen in the world of media and online advertising.

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

Oh no. Oh no. :angry: :(

They tried so hard. What a cutthroat business.

I just checked TA, neither Carey's nor my positive reviews were posted. Others posted that they were confused as to why Danube was so low in the ratings despite all the rave reviews.

Was business down so much? Was the restaurant empty? Is there any way we can try to convince the owners that we will support them no matter what? Is closing a done deal?

I'm just sick about this.

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

Sad. Was hoping to go there again.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

Sad, but true. We exchanged emails with one of the Kwok family today. He wasn't sure of the last day, but if you got the information from Mr. Raymond, then that's the source.

They swear they did not pad or improperly post any reviews on TA, so what TA did to them was incredibly unfortunate.

I am using my thirty years of journalism experience and ten years in the restaurant business to begin an online magazine in Cozumel that will feature honest, positive restaurant reviews, feature stories about local characters and topics and photo essays. We will not accept advertising from restaurants.

We should launch the new magazine soon and look forward to partnering with the fine sites (including this one) that tell the truth about Cozumel.

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

Hey it was mlfoto's pics that got me to Danube in the first place. You start a magazine, I'll have to move up to five meals a day to keep up.... :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

The info I received came in this morning from Raymond's son, Richard. He said anyone who wanted to stop by and say goodbye, tonight would be the night.

#9 nanny

nanny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:reading, travel, decorating

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

It is really ashame that this can happen to such a great place.

Think the best way to show support is to head there tonight and
enjoy the food and the wonderful owners.

I'm going.....how about you?

#10 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

This REALLY upsets me!Posted Image Posted Image I love Danube and was thrilled to see one of my favorite waiters there when I went a couple of weeks ago - Eduardo. I wish I had read this thread sooner so I could go tonight. Maybe I will anyway! What's sad is that every time I went in there, ours was the only table occupied. They haven't been well supported so far, so I don't know why they'd agree to stay open if people said they would support them now. It's too late.

Maybe they could re-open under a different name but keep the same wonderful food!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

Greg, I, Nanny, Micheal, Jennifer are going tonight...table is open show up at 7 pm.

When I asked Laura to book a table for us, this is what she said

"Yes we will have a table ready for you. It is very unfortunate of what happened but we will do our best to serve the best of our food and service tonight. Thank you very much for your love for us"

But in TA reality how can you overcome the suspect behavior? Or statements like this comment made in a TA post about Danube they where "badgering for reviews on TA"

To my best friend SDF...kisses

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

Darn, we were so looking forward to enjoying Danube this winter. I have been anticipating eating there ever since mlphoto posted his pictures! I went on their website and drooled over their menue!This is such a shame!

Paula, have a citrus tart for me, and give our best to Judy, Mike, and Jennifer! Wish we could join you!

#13 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

I have never liked TA. I don't like there reviews most of the time it seems to be a bunch of complaining Americans (which I am one, American not complaining) that have never been anywhere other than there part of what the believe to be the only civilized place on the planet. :P

I have gone to restaurants stayed in Hotel that have been blasted on TA, and I enjoyed them.
Now I am sure that TA was not the complete cause of the failure of the restaurant but it did contribute to the closing and that is sad. :(

I have never trusted and will not every use TA. Always ask the locals where to eat and sleep. Take a poll of a few locals and make up your own mind skip the haters on TA. :angry:
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#14 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

I will echo everyone else's sentiments, and repeat - what a shame. I was planning to eat at Danube upon my return to the island in a few weeks, and that was based on the truthful reviews on this forum. On that other forum, people defend themseleves by stating they are entitled to an opinion and that there is no way that the person who started this could possibly have enough clout to close down a restaurant. I guess each person can be the judge of that, as most of us are aware of the wide reaching powers of technology today. There are other restaurants that have been mentioned here that most agree are substandard, yet they remain open. That is so not right. I like Kandy's idea of reopening under a different name, but regrettably, it may be that the "die has been cast" and those that may have been vindictive in the past will remain so. I do look forward to the on-line magazine for Cozumel that will reflect accurate and truthful reviews, and will be current and up to date. Paula, have a lovely dinner with your company tonight. Please post your review so I can at least try to imagine...

Valli

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

What a wonderful, lovely dinner.

The staff was wonderful, Raymond and his wife where delightful.

It is truly a shame, BUT the family have a number of successful business on the island, and until the island gets some upscale visitors, there will be hiccups.

So, we won't go to Danube, we will go to another one of their restaurants...

Anonymous

#16 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

I am sure that not only the reviews on TA were the cause of this restaurant closing so soon...it has been a very low/slow season here on the island and being in the location out of town? How many other restaurants or stores have or will close due to the low tourist economy of this island. It happens every year.
We need to promote all places to anyone here who are visiting. Many places try to entice guests with various attractions, specials etc..? Maybe like Especias close for the month of October due to low season....maybe they can reopen when the busy season starts again.??..
Good Luck for the future.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#17 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

Sailsgirl, I agree with you. It is sad to see any local place close, but It can not be blamed on TA. The economy sux right now, I have friends who have lost thier jobs or are barely working. I babysit as a favor to a friend who works stright commission...she can't afford to pay anyone because she is making very little money. No tourists, no money. I hope that they will reopen in high season also as I was planning on taking my family when they visit.

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

Trip A-hole wasn't the only contributor to the closing of this restaurant, of course. But it tipped the place over the edge.

#19 Crenitynow

Crenitynow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:31 PM

Most of the reviews on TA were way over the top...I can see why TA smelled something fishy.

#20 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:29 AM

For the most part, the reviews were over the top, because the food was over the top. Creative drinks, excellent preparations, creative presentation, menu items not found at any other restaurant on the island, nice atmosphere, jazz playing at dinner and good service are just a few of the things that made many people say it was the best food on the island.

With respect to some of the cooks and chefs at the other top places, for my money, it was the best food. I know another trained chef who lives here, who called it the best food on the island.

So, the reviews were justified, as are the lamentations about the closing down of the Danube menu.

They are going to still use the space for breakfast or lunch, with a different menu and without a Culinary Institute trained chef. We can only hope that some of incredible items such as the pear & walnut salad, sweet potato fries, grilled polenta, citrus tart, or any of the entrees will be on the new menu.

TA has the same flaws as Zagat. I don't care what the masses say about restaurants. I want to here from a trained, experienced reviewer, or a trusted friend. The NYT restaurant reviewer just named Per Se as the best restaurant in NYC and wrote a lengthy review explaining his choice. A couple of trusted friends get a euphoric, dreamy look in their eyes when they mention their experience at Per Se. On TA they are rated #52. Enough said.

I agree with Carey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users