• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:53 AM

With the new buildings going up across from the International Pier, and the upgrades they are doing to the old car ferry pier, that location will be a central business location, and my guess it will keep quite a few visitors south of town.

As mlfoto said, they will try a breakfast menu, and early lunch. Saw the new menu, and it looks wonderful. Some of our favorite items will be on the new menu, yippie!

Support local business that have earned our support, and recommendations!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#22 Crenitynow

Crenitynow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

The good and bad with TA is that everyone has different opinions of what is conisdered good food. I can hardly stomache sushi yet most of my friends prefer it over a good steak house. Just because a so called expert gives a restaurant a great review...that review should not be given any more credibility in that forum than your average Joe. I feel that is where you are flawed in not trusting the masses.

TA and Cozumel My Cozumel fall in the same catagory, its a place where people go to get the real skinny for their future vacations. So, are you saying that because no one on this board is paid to review Cozumel and it attractions that their opinions should not be gven much credibility bcause they are not experts?

Cozumel is not and will never be New York City...perhaps your pallet is just too refinded for Cozumel. NYC my be where you want to live.

Enough Said.

#23 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:04 AM

I agree with the above post. Forums have their benefits while also having their pitfalls. You can garner a lot of useful info, nut there is a lot of biased things that must be looked past. Blaming a internet site for the downfall of a restaurant is too easy. While the food may have been great, the location and type of food would not cater to the tourists very well. With the rent I am sure they were paying they would have to have tourist business to stay afloat. Hopefully they are successful with their new concept.

#24 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:06 AM

Just because a so called expert gives a restaurant a great review...that review should not be given any more credibility in that forum than your average Joe. I feel that is where you are flawed in not trusting the masses.

Well, if we use that reasoning then I guess no one should believe any reviewing media -- Consumer Reports comes to mind. Zd-net reviews of computer hardware and software come to mind. Certainly respected movie reviewers come to mind.

In fact, that's a very good example for this case. Because which people like which movies is quite varied. And the professional reviewers don't always agree with the masses opinions -- although, in my years of reading movie reviews on rottentomatoes.com, I haven't found that to be the case very often.

What I havefound to be the case is that over time, I've realized that there are certain reviewers that I always agree with. And there are others that if they say a flick is good or not good, I may disagree. So I stick that in my brain pan and when I want to check on a particular movie, I look to those reviewers for their opinions because I've learned to trust them.

TA doesn't have any experts. It can't possibly. They're a mega giant owned by one of the most cut-throat businessmen in the world of media, Barry Diller. (If you don't believe me, look up Barry Diller and Liberty Media on google).

Their model is to get average Joes to put up reviews because that gives them FREE content that they didn't have to write themselves. The more content, the higher the webpage shows up in search engines. That's their model. They use your reviews to promote their own popularity which they can then use to charge more for advertising.

They hire staff moderators for their incredible number of destination forums. And I doubt any of these worker bees have ever been to the places they are in charge of moderating. Because if they had been, some of the restaurants on Cozumel that the sheep are pushing high in the listings would be relegated to a much lower status, I guarantee you. In short, these moderators don't have a clue. How can they? So they're just going by the scripts and rules of the business model that's come down from Corporate On High.

But it gets worse. It's not just cluelessness and indifference to content -- as long as there IS content flowing in. There is a serious conflict of interest going on here. TA solicits businesses -- restaurants as well as hotels -- asking them to pay for 'premium' memberships which typically run at least $30/month. A business pays up, the moderators are told, I'm sure, to keep a special watch for them on the forums.

So Look To The Money and you will understand the business model here. And it's not about offering you, the reader, a balanced and fair assessment of this or that restaurant. It's about content and advertising dollar.

This is not to say that there aren't some great reviews on TA. There are indeed some detailed, well-written ones. But the problem is, there's no way for them to check the veracity. And any Joe and his Mommy can click the link that says Report Abuse and complain about someone's review.

End of rant. For now.

#25 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

Crenity - Sorry, but I don't agree with you and I'll tell you why.

After cooking professionally for eight years, I don't trust the masses, because the masses have made McDonalds the number #1 restaurant in America, yet I would rather eat at Jorge's Casa de Hamburguesa on Av 5.

Carey has very succinctly pointed out why this forum and TA are vastly different.

Yes, I do believe an "expert" brings some credentials to reviewing, maybe because of time spent in the industry. It is on the consumer to understand which reviewer they feel most accurately represents their tastes. For example, I have never disliked a movie that Roger Ebert recommends. So, I follow him.

"Cozumel is not and will never be New York City...perhaps your pallet is just too refinded for Cozumel. NYC my be where you want to live."

I like good, honest food, well-prepared. I just returned from a breakfast of a papas y chorizo taco and a chicharron gordita at Taqueria Molina at the Mercado Municipal. I'm sure it is as equally satisfying as Per Se, not better, just different. So, you don't know squat about my pallet. I was using the NYC restaurant rankings on TA as an example of why that system is seriously flawed. I could see putting the NYTs #1 restaurant at #3 or even #10 - but #52. Sorry, but that pig won't fly.

NYC is a nice place to visit, but I want to live here - and I do, full-time.

I'm not going to defend my sadness of this restaurant's closing any further. Nor debate the value of TA. Read what you want. Believe what you want.

#26 Crenitynow

Crenitynow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

mloto-

You have placed yourself in an elevated position with your comments...now in your own mind you can justly look down upon anyone. What you have actually done is discredited yourself by implying a better than tho attitude and that the average traveler is ignorant and insignificant when it comes to leaving a post. For crying out loud the posts we leave are based off of real life experience...good or bad. Most people rely on the various media reviews for vacation preparation.

TA is a wonderful tool which I will continue to use. It sounds like it may be flawed but its better than nothing...frankly for a business to pay less than a $1 per day for a membership to reach the millions of people coming for a visit to Cozumel...seems like a steal to me.

#27 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Mr. mlfoto, and Mrs. mlfoto it was great seeing you last night at Danube. Wasn't it just fabulous!!!!!

As soon as they finish that huge mall (almost finished) across from the Internationale Pier, I am sure it will be a short time until we will see another GREAT restaurant there, and i95 will be in the HEART of all the action.

Of course, as we know this one restaurant is only a small part of their other restaurants, grocery store(s) and Internet cafe(s) that these wonderful folks own...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#28 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

I don't ever go to Trip Advisor but had to in order to see what all the talk is about. I don't see any logic in their ratings. Especia's is number one. I know Adrian has good food but no way I would rank him as number one. Bob's is ranked at number 4 with only 23 reviews. The Danube is ranked at 101 with 13 reviews. Plaza Liza is number 82 with only 7 reviews and the reviews aren't as good as Danube's. I don't believe anything on their web site. I guess that is why I don't go there. There is no creditability to their site.

I think Cernitynow works for Trip Adivisor or has a vested interest.

#29 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

I missed going to eat there in September, and was looking forward to going next season, but I guess it was not meant to be.

I looked Danube up on TA and it says this:

“Message from TripAdvisor: TripAdvisor has reasonable cause to believe that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have interfered with traveler reviews and/or the popularity index for this property. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.”

I also see only positive reviews... I even see a review by “InCozumel” referencing Carey... I realize everyone is sad the place is shutting down, but can you really single handedly blame TA for their demise?

When I saw the place, I remember thinking to myself the location sucked and the storefront did not stand out enough to make me want to know what "Danube" was. In fact, I only knew about Danube because of this website.

Remember that dinner would be its main revenue and there are no cruise ships there for the dinner hour, since they leave around 5 or 6. One traveler said in his review: “Located between a gas station and a brothel...” and that Danube specifically requested of him twice to write a review on TA. Danube responded that it was a fake review by a competitor... Really? Who do we believe here? :confused:

Still, there are 13 reviews, every one of them is good, minus the one Danube claims is “fake...” so I doubt TA contributed to their downfall – I think it was crappy location and not enough traffic.

I mean seriously, we were ONE of TWO tables taken @ Pepe's Bar & Grill the night we ate there and the 1st night we walked by the place, they looked like they wanted us to come eat there in flip flops and board shorts. Times are tough....

If there's anyone to blame, blame the cruise lines, who no longer dock over night - thats where the revenue always came from and why the island was always hopping back in the early 90s.

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#30 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

You would have to see daily what the infrastructure that is being built south of town is, and the logic in the business model for making such an investment there.

The build here is south, and will continue to grow south of central. Therefore, the business model and build is spot on.

You certainly missed some great food.

But, the space will not go to waste. The owners have been in business on the island quite a while, and will continue to be successful.

Frankly, I think the restaurant was really geared to those who vacation on the island, and those of us who live here. Not sure that a cruiser would pay for something they can get for free on the ship (of course they already paid for the food).

As for TA...it has now been well documented the value add of the site.

For me, there isn't anymore to say on the subject.

Anonymous

#31 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

According to TA, my best three meals in CZ this year came from restaurants ranked 52, 53 and 54 – Ernestos, Coconuts and Palmeras...

Another thing, I saw the cruisers spending money freely on the island like it was going out of style – At the Money Bar, shopping downtown, excursions, etc... People that were land based and / or all inclusive did not seem as willing... Again, my opinion / observation, no fact on it.

At the end of the day, the island is DEAD at night and the common denominator is a lack of cruise ships docked over night. I remember it being this WILD crazy party back in the 90s and that has changed.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#32 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

I agree with Sailsgirl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users