#21 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

Gringo wearing Speedo and half T-shirt in equites line.... Now I know where to sit so I can see you with no problem. So, shall I expect a 6-pack between the T & the Speedo? Posted Image

Of course I have a six pack there! But we have to drink the Sol fast as it gets warm tucked into my speedo...... :P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#22 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

This is gonna be fun!Posted Image

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#23 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

OMG, I just went through this entire thread and about spewed my coffee on the screen... Please include a disclaimer in the future: “Warning, Gringo’s are about to argue on various proper Spanish pronunciations...”

I will say, Español es mi primer idioma and Carey came closest on on Quintana Roo, but even down to the OP, noone's gotten Cozumel right, but it’s hard to tell on a written forum and not actually hearing it... Go ask a Mexican to say it, there’ll prob be a difference.

:P
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#24 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

I agree Mark. However I would not want to be to critical since I myself personally have my own difficulties with my pronunciation in english. I would never want to offend anyone. Just pointing out the more obvious misspronunciation of "quin". Regarding Cozumel I actually like the more native name Cuzamil but that is another topic. I appreciate it when someone is trying to learn and speak spanish when they are living here. They deserve all the help we can give them.

#25 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

Oh I know, i was just trying to be funny...

We have so many different dialects, it's hard to say someone is right or wrong, but it's sure fun to argue and poke fun of each other trying to make our point...

All in fun... :)

PS - Oprime el el numero uno para Ingles, dos para Español Mexicano, tres para Español Cubano...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#26 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:32 AM

Jajajaja. Excellent joke! Y si es verdad. Espanol Cubano es lo mismo "ma o meo". Would you prefer an occassionaly used pronunciation " Cantina Row"?

#27 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:38 AM

Jajajaja. Excellent joke! Y si es verdad. Espanol Cubano es lo mismo "ma o meo". Would you prefer an occassionaly used pronunciation " Cantina Row"?

LOVE THAT IDEA! LOL

#28 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

I would not want to be to critical since I myself personally have my own difficulties with my pronunciation in english. I would never want to offend anyone. Just pointing out the more obvious misspronunciation of "quin". Regarding Cozumel I actually like the more native name Cuzamil but that is another topic. I appreciate it when someone is trying to learn and speak spanish when they are living here. They deserve all the help we can give them.

Your tips are much appreciated Morenita! And if anyone is offended by your offers of help, that's their problem, not yours. I for one am always struggling learn Mexican Spanish so that I can communicate better not just with service people but also my Mexican and Mayan friends and neighbors. It's also a respect thing, I believe. And, finally, Spanish, like Italian, is a beautiful sounding language. Very musical. I love the rolled r's!

Please keep the tips coming. In fact, I think I should start a learning and pronouncing Spanish forum on here! Will put on my list.

#29 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

Lo hare con mucho gusto, estoy a su disposicion. With much pleasure I am at your service. We ourselves have so many different dialects within Mexico as Mark mentioned before. Love the press 3 for Cuban Spanish. LOL

#30 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

we dont speak spanish, we speak cuban... LMAO

MC

#31 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

we dont speak spanish, we speak cuban... LMAO

MC

Not so unusual. Further north, we don't speak English, we speak 'Merican. ;)

#32 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

Not so unusual. Further north, we don't speak English, we speak 'Merican. ;)

So its "prais 1 fer mericun..." :D

#33 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

So its "prais 1 fer mericun..." :D

... and "prais 2 fer Texmerican y'all." :P

#34 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:06 AM

Good post I am guilty and I will correct. You state there is a new english radio station? I will be there for 3 months starting in January and feel that should be a good venue for information. Can you tell me the frquency it is on thanks.

#35 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

Good post I am guilty and I will correct. You state there is a new english radio station? I will be there for 3 months starting in January and feel that should be a good venue for information. Can you tell me the frquency it is on thanks.

Cozumel Radio

But if you beat me out for a pair of breakfasts in one of the radio contests, you need to share. I'm just saying.....:P

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#36 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

Sounds fair to me I am a sharing kind of guy, and you did give me the info. This might sound like a stupid question, but can you tune them in on a radio or do you have to listen on-line?

Thanks

#37 Nelda H

Nelda H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

online only: www.cozumelradio.net

#38 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

O.K. here's one that I find many conflicting answers.
What's the proper pronunciation for guacamole?

#39 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Could you please start this as a new topic and then I'll delete this post. It's getting lost in the shuffle here, your pregunta/question.

#40 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

I unconsciously jerk my body for 15 seconds when folks say Cozumel improperly...then I'm left with an eye tic for 30 minutes. My toes curl up too. I'm not a very attractive person anyways. I never correct them any more...it does no good. Smiles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users