16 replies to this topic

#1 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

Can anybody tell me which is better to shop at or have a favorite? Is there better prices sometimes elsewhere?

Thank You

#2 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

Can anybody tell me which is better to shop at or have a favorite? Is there better prices sometimes elsewhere?

Thank You

Sorry for the spell O I meant Which is better to shop at Mega or Chedrui, or do you have another favorite grocery store.
Thanks

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

I don't know that I'd say one is better than the other. The reality, at least for me, is that you go AT LEAST to those two, and sometimes San Francisco, Sedena, Soriana, Pacsadelli, and/or Sam's to find what you want. Here are my preferences:

Mega: deli meat and cheese, Canadian Bagels bread, meat, fish, Johnsonville products, bakery
Chedraui: specialty cheese (e.g., Cracker Barrel), vodka etc.
Pacsadelli: things from the US not found elsewhere (horseradish, spices, some lunchmeats)
Sam's: bulk tortillas, some specialty cheeses, mini muffins (mmmm)
The Mercado!!!!! : fruits and vegetables

You pretty much just have to shop around a few times and figure out where it's best to buy the specific items you like.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#4 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

As Kandy implies. it's hard to get your shopping done at one store as they all carry similar and different items. It all depends on what you are shopping for. It's an adventure trying to put together a dinner. You have to do a lot of substituting. of ingredients as many are not available on the island. Once you get used to shopping you will have a general idea of what each store has. If you find an item you like at one store, that doesn't mean they always carry it. It just means that they have it now.

Has anyone shopped at Marajaha (sp) store? I was talking to Adrian last time down and he gets much of his produce there? I have been meaning to stop but never have.

You also have to look at some of the smaller stores like Fiesta or Guidos, and the places that carry fish and lobster.

It can take a good three hours of shopping to find what you want but it is always fun.

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

Mega: Canadian Bagels bread,

I was gonna call bs till I googled it. Serioiusly, Canadian Bagels in Mexico?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

A couple of years ago, I stopped at the Maharaj store on 65th. Was a bit disappointed at that time of the quality of the produce. I also like Soriana on 30th for certain items - there is never a line up at the deli, and they have the same ham and turkey as Mega or Chedraui, but I prefer the selection of cheese at Chedraui. I like the italian salami at Mega. As the other posters point out, it is pretty difficult to limit yourself to just one store, unless you just want something very basic. I don't care for the baking at the large stores, prefer to purchase buns at Zermatt's or San Martin Bakery. The Mercado also has some good spices. As Steve states, it's always fun. There are a lot more choices and options now in Cozumel compared to a few years ago. But it can be a challenge to go from store to store looking for one particular item. That is when substitutions, improvisation and creativity take over.

Valli

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

cvchief.... Canadian Bagels is the brand name. I'm sure they make bagels, too, but I don't know if it's really from Canada.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:27 AM

cvchief.... Canadian Bagels is the brand name. I'm sure they make bagels, too, but I don't know if it's really from Canada.

No seriously, I learned something. Apparently it is a style of bagel that is lighter and sweeter. There are apparently stores in NY that overnight them from Montreal. There is even a franchise chain store. What is the world coming to? First Canadian Bagels in NY and now Mexico, what will it be next? Swiss Pretzels in Philly? Anarchy I tell ya..... :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

Ever since Mega has come into town, I have found that Chedrui's gets better and better.

From Chedrui's I purchase the following items:

Fillet Mignon-have the butcher cut from a large piece. I purchase enough to make about 6 servings, 2 inchs thick.
Smoked Pork Chops-cut to order (the package ones are okay too)
Pork short ribs-in the meat case, not out of the self select
Pork roasts are excellent at both Ched's and Mega
Chicken Breasts/whole chickens
San Rafael brand lunch meats sliced from the deli.
Salmon is excellent, as well as fish fillets

Dry goods, the selection is much better.

"Foreign" (US brands) are readily available Chedrui's. (real butter)

Fruits and Veggies is a hit and miss at all the stores. (Just scored on artichokes at Ched's).

I have found the medication (not generic) is less expensive then anywhere else.

Maharajah(sp)- on 65, and a new store on 15th are good for veggies. Carrots are sweet and yummy.
Guidos-tried it, did not think the quality of beef was any better then the grocery stores
Pacsadeli-natural honey in large bottles.
SAM's -Sirloin burgers are excellent, but other then that do not purchase much from there.

Mega

Sheets, blankets, kitchen stuff
Steaks (T-bone) still have to marinate
Pork roasts are nicely cut
Pork Chops (cut to size) are trimmed better
Chicken breast, individually wrapped
Smoked round ham (it is in the butchers area, and is usually about 6 inch long, and 2.5 to 3 inch round)
Shrimp are much better, and larger
Tuna is okay for Sushi

Any thing in the frozen food cases, purchase from Mega
Ice Cream
Frozen Veggies
Pizza, etc.

Also, I alway take my reusable shopping bags.
Invest in an insulated shopping bag, and ice packs helps in your travels from store to store.
Make sure you pick up your store card from all the stores-I just found out, and used the Mega card as cash. You accumulate points, and cash back, and I used it the other day to purchase my goods(not a peso out of my pocket).

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

Ever since Mega has come into town, I have found that Chedrui's gets better and better.

From Chedrui's I purchase the following items:

Fillet Mignon-have the butcher cut from a large piece. I purchase enough to make about 6 servings, 2 inchs thick.
Smoked Pork Chops-cut to order (the package ones are okay too)
Pork short ribs-in the meat case, not out of the self select
Pork roasts are excellent at both Ched's and Mega
Chicken Breasts/whole chickens
San Rafael brand lunch meats sliced from the deli.
Salmon is excellent, as well as fish fillets

Dry goods, the selection is much better.

"Foreign" (US brands) are readily available Chedrui's. (real butter)

Fruits and Veggies is a hit and miss at all the stores. (Just scored on artichokes at Ched's).

I have found the medication (not generic) is less expensive then anywhere else.

Maharajah(sp)- on 65, and a new store on 15th are good for veggies. Carrots are sweet and yummy.
Guidos-tried it, did not think the quality of beef was any better then the grocery stores
Pacsadeli-natural honey in large bottles.
SAM's -Sirloin burgers are excellent, but other then that do not purchase much from there.

Mega

Sheets, blankets, kitchen stuff
Steaks (T-bone) still have to marinate
Pork roasts are nicely cut
Pork Chops (cut to size) are trimmed better
Chicken breast, individually wrapped
Smoked round ham (it is in the butchers area, and is usually about 6 inch long, and 2.5 to 3 inch round)
Shrimp are much better, and larger
Tuna is okay for Sushi

Any thing in the frozen food cases, purchase from Mega
Ice Cream
Frozen Veggies
Pizza, etc.

Also, I alway take my reusable shopping bags.
Invest in an insulated shopping bag, and ice packs helps in your travels from store to store.
Make sure you pick up your store card from all the stores-I just found out, and used the Mega card as cash. You accumulate points, and cash back, and I used it the other day to purchase my goods(not a peso out of my pocket).

Thanks for the info, just a question regarding the store cards. Do yo get a store card just for Mega or do you need one for Chedrui's as well? Can you tell me where I pick up this card there Customer Service, what information do they want? and do they speak a little english. Again thanks for the info.

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

Each store has their own card, they are available at the registers.

No personal information is required.

sorry can't help on the translation.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

Really? So you can just ask for a card at checkout at Mega? We were always putting off going to customer service.....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#13 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:25 AM

Yes, just ask for it at the desk right as you get off the escalator going up. They also have monthly promotions using the points to offset costs of high priced but usually good quality items. This month is bake ware. Just a heads up...July is 3 for 2 month! Buy two items get one free...a great time to stock up on stuff if you live here.

I shop at Mega for my big once weekly trip. I like the big rows, cleanliness and good customer service. I do go to Chedrauii often to ck on specialty items. I buy canned grean beans, chili beans (we're from Texas!) taco seasoning, salad dressing, some spices, butter, pop tarts, bisquick just to name a few and keep hoping for more.

At Sam's we buy breakfast sausage links from Johnsonville. I squeeze out the sausage and make gray and sausage balls too. Their frozen corn is the best I have ever gotten anywhere, spices, salad dressing (my kids love the ranch) cleaning stuff, trash bags, storage bags, toilet paper. Really things are much cheaper at Sams when bought in bulk. There are a few items that are not...so it pays to know the prices at other stores as well.

Pacsadellis has the cheapest frozen skinless chkn breast!

#14 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

you guys are making me want to cook. can't wait til ironman is over so i can have time to cook again... and clean, and fold clothes, and sleep....
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#15 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

Paula, I didn't know you could use the Mega card for cash! We've had ours since the store opened, but have never gained anything from it. So, you just give it to the cashier and say you want to pay with it?

How is the Ched card used?

Sandy

#16 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

If you are talking about the monadero naranja...it accumulates pesos according to special products you buy. Their are signs usually next to the products that accumulate these pesos for the week. The small shelves at the front of the stoor as you enter have a sampling of which items are included. Then when you pay out and use your card on the screen there is a small "card" and it will show how much you earned on that trip. Your receipt will show you how much you have accumulated for the month. However, they do not roll over pesos...so you have to use them before a new promotion starts. I have had trouble using the chedrauii one..but sorianna has a card as well...and theres you get a certain amt. on ALL purchases. You can accumulate quite a bit that way. Back to Mega...they also have a charge card they offer at the small desk before you go down the escalators...not sure how it works though.

#17 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:46 AM

The MEGA card works by gaining timbre (points) each time you buy groceries...1 timbre per $100 pesos spent.
There is a promotion on a stand by the Pharmacy area, right now its bake ware...they had really good knives, good pots and pans, some bathroom towels (not that good) good wine glasses. The promotion goes for about 2-3 months at a time. The timbres are cancelled after each promotion so you can;t roll them over for the next promotion of items...

When you have 15 or 30 Timbres you can purchase one of the items on the promotion for a reduced price, usually 50% or more off. Just go to customer service desk at the top of the escalator ramp and ask for a MEGA card. Give them some ID for your name and maybe a local phone number and you get the card. It can add up quickly and if the promo is great, you can gain some nice stuff.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users