13 replies to this topic

#1 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

When you need a taxi leaving the airport, I was told you have to get and pay for a ticket prior to getting a taxi? Can somebody explain this if it is true.

Thanks

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

This is the way it works. There are no taxis from the airport. There is a transportation monopoly controlled by the airport vans. These are shared vans and they group you with other people depending on where you are going.

You come out through the glass doors of customs and immigration and make a right. The last booth on the left with it's back to the outside wall is where you purchase your ticket. Prices are marked by where you are going.

Once you have your ticket, retrace your steps and head out the front door where the vans will be waiting. Show your ticket to the coordinator and they will point you to the correct van.

Drivers really appreciate a tip is you have it in your heart to give one.

IGNORE the line the sales people standing in a line between you as you come out the glass doors and the Aviomar van ticket booth mentioned above. These are time share salesmen pretending to be tourist advisors who want to help you with transportation from the airport among other things. They can be very authoritative in manner. Ignore them and keep heading to your right to buy your van ticket (s).

#3 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

Or, what we do is just pull our luggage and leave the airport and start walking down the road. Within 3 minutes we have always had a taxi. We do this because we do not want to wait for them to fill up the shared vans and then go all over the place dropping people off when we can be at Isis in 5 minutes!

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

I used to mention to people that this was an option and, indeed, have done it once or twice myself in the past. Problem is there are no sidewalks the entire length of Airport Blvd and it's typically hot and muggy hauling your stuff down a bumpy street.

Also it is war between the taxistas and the Aviomar van drivers. And Aviomar has won that battle for the time being. Taxis now typically won't pick you up until you're at least 3 blocks down airport blvd. So you'll have to haul your bags 5 blocks down the street in the heat and then stand there and wait. Also a cab is not even going to stop for you there if he/she sees a van coming down the road behind him.

You can also haul your bags over to 65 but the problem there is not many cabs come that way.

All in all I think it's really just easier to take the van. It's what I do whenever I'm coming home.

If you're going to Isis, you'll be the first people let off in the van going through El Centro so no biggie.

Another option is to rent a car at the airport or at one of the places just across the traffic circle from the airport. THAT you can do.

#5 Tia

Tia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:58 PM

I have never, ever had a problem getting a taxi on 65th and Aeropuerto Blvd. They even slow down and hollar,"Taxi!".

~Tia

#6 2cozlovers

2cozlovers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Diving, living the good life!

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

This past Friday when we landed we walked out past the airport. one of the vans stopped and picked up the two of us as passengers. Tried to charge $10.00 for drop at Hotel Flamingo. Agreed to $6.00.

#7 Thebeancounter

Thebeancounter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

Just wondering what the current rates are per person from the airport to the South hotel zone?

Thanks

#8 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

Typically we haul the bags over to thrifty and rent a car. This time we went thru thrifties web site and it would only let us pick up a car downtown at the square. I called this morning and after getting some guy on the phone who said his name was Peggy I got a little peeved since I could not understand him anyway and told him to cancel the reservation.
Big mistake as my wife called right back to make a reservation and the price was now four hundred for 12 days instead of 120. Ironman.
After much pleading she got our reservation back to where it was. When we get there tomorrow it should be very interesting to see if we have a reservation or not.
I guess what I am trying to say is keep it simple, take the van or whatever get home, or to resort, and then hassle with everything.
Every time I try to be smart I end up stupid.

#9 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

Just wondering what the current rates are per person from the airport to the South hotel zone?

Thanks

Prices went up in September, current rate to the south, say Iberostar is $141 pesos per person. Hillbilly, if you are going to el centro, the rates went to $57 pesos. Hillbilly, it tends to be a given, no matter which you chose about everything, you should have chosen the other. Given the "incidents last month, it is even less suggested to not walk off grounds and take a taxi. Suit yourself, but taxistas taking the risk have adjusted their rates accordingly, so close to the same price for two people.

#10 Thebeancounter

Thebeancounter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

What would the rate be to the Coaumel Palace? Thanks for your help.

#11 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

For us the point is that we do not want to wait while they load a bunch of people in the van who dick around and want a smoke or to run back in and pee or have lost 2 of their party who have wondered off.....

To avoid that I iwll happily schlep my bags out of the airport and down the street while sweating my arse off on a May afternoon :)

#12 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

No hurries no worries. I stop at the shuttle booth and purchase tickets, Don stops at the Air Margaritaville to purchase our cold drinks and then we get in the van. A hot day in a van on Cozumel is so much better than a great day at work with a classroom full of 8th graders!
Cindy

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

No hurries no worries. I stop at the shuttle booth and purchase tickets, Don stops at the Air Margaritaville to purchase our cold drinks and then we get in the van. A hot day in a van on Cozumel is so much better than a great day at work with a classroom full of 8th graders!

Now There's a good attitude! I like it!

#14 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

Amen to that sister!! (This after a day in the artroom with 200 restless 8th graders)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users