• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

HOLY cr*p... I am so sorry Rina is coming... I hope that each of you are safe, that the storm passes quickly and without alot of damage.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Mark
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#22 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:13 AM

A big Thanks to those showing concern, lite the candles please....! !

Lite rains this AM.

Schools are closed today, until ???

Law Seca/Dry Law(no sales of booze) is or will be imposed today......

#23 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:49 AM

The Mexican Red Cross in Cozumel is gearing up to give aid and comfort in the aftermath of whatever happens, so while we wait, wonder and worry, there is something you can do to help:Cruz Roja Sling some dinero at our Red Cross Friends down there and help them out, then you can say you DID something to help. Its PayPal, so its easy peasey.... There is a wire transfer info there too. Whatever happens, they will be out helping the people of Cozumel. :wub:

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#24 Kyle Richards

Kyle Richards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

Excellent idea!

The Mexican Red Cross in Cozumel is gearing up to give aid and comfort in the aftermath of whatever happens, so while we wait, wonder and worry, there is something you can do to help:Cruz Roja Sling some dinero at our Red Cross Friends down there and help them out, then you can say you DID something to help. Its PayPal, so its easy peasey.... There is a wire transfer info there too. Whatever happens, they will be out helping the people of Cozumel. :wub:

#25 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:43 AM

The Cruz Roja is also ready to assist DURING the storm. If you need emergency help of any kind -- due to an accident, flooding or wind damage to your home that requires you to evacuate, if you have a medical problem, etc. -- please try to contact the CR. Dial 065 from any telephone (or via marine radio VHF channel 16 or via "taxistas radio" CB channel 9). Paramedics, who are trained rescuers will be answering the calls. During the worst weather when the van-style ambulances should not be on the road, the military will respond using its heavy vehicles. As soon as the storm passes, teams will begin assessing damages, if any.
Buena suerte a todos.

#26 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

I am sure it must exist now, they sure get enough donations, but the Cruz Roja used to do zero of disaster relief. In fact when the island could have been close to devastated, much of the town under 2-3 feet of water after Storm Opal and then soon after from Roxanne. Both times we went downtown, picking our way through the debris and rubble with the idea of finding something resembling community support. Surely, the Cruz Roja will be passing out warm cups of coke, bottled water and day old tortillas, WRONG.

Back when we had nothing, needed mucho, the pueblo of Cozumel was experienced and practiced at taking care of themselves, not up on the roof tops waiting for relief to arrive. Collectively we all took care of ourselves until off island aid arrived in Telmex and CFE workers (but they needed the vehicle ferry). We went to work, cleared our street, neighbors help hook up each others electric from live fallen wires. We had a block party although no party just lots of cooking on our gas grill, what turned out to be the only gas grill on the block. People brought out whatever we had left and we shared.

The Mexican government judged largely incompetent in most functions does an outstanding job at disaster relief. Some blogs have compared this storm to Katrina and wondered if New Orleans could be repeated. It doesn't happen here like that, but if 500,000 Mexican workers had been brought in and FEMA sent on vacation, Mexico could have rebuilt and revitalized New Orleans in about four months.

RE: The Cruz Roja has long had their mission at operating clinics and providing health care to the general population. They have long done a lot in rural areas when no other services existed. In the U.S. and other countries, The Red Cross is more identified with only disaster relief, not providing basic dental care and everyday basic services.

As I answered my first inquiry last night of whether things should be functional next week by Wednesday? I said no reason to suspect conflicts or problems with their plans. When the airport is open and airlines are flying, Cozumel will be back in business and ready to receive guest and present their finest hospitality as always. During Emily, I got bashed by correctly predicting that (as the eye wall was touching the southern tip of the island) that north of the Presidente would be fine the following week. Whatever happens, happens and everything that matters will be back to near normal as soon as Aviomar starts bringing in the car ferry.

Just all be grateful we aren't waiting this out in the U.S. now. I'd be scared to death in Florida, trying to find a way to the nearest safe zone, like Ohio!

Cozumel will be back in business in the normal record time. What me worried? I think NOT. We'll be fine, clean up the debris and go on with our lives.

Viva Mexico! Viva Cozumel! Thanks Deb for confirming emergency aid.

#27 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

This just on NOAA.gov !!!

WTNT63 KNHC 261644
TCUAT3

HURRICANE RINA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182011
1145 AM CDT WED OCT 26 2011

...NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT FINDS THAT RINA HAS SIGNIFICANTLY
WEAKENED...

RECENT REPORTS FROM A NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT
RINA HAS WEAKENED TO A CATEGORY 1 HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR SIMPSON
HURRICANE WIND SCALE. A SPECIAL ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED AT 1230 PM
CDT...1730 UTC...IN PLACE OF THE SCHEDULED INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY.

SUMMARY OF 1145 AM CDT...1645 UTC...INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...18.0N 85.7W
ABOUT 190 MI...305 KM SSE OF COZUMEL MEXICO
ABOUT 175 MI...280 KM ESE OF CHETUMAL MEXICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...135 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 290 DEGREES AT 5 MPH...7 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...982 MB...29.00 INCHES

$$
FORECASTER BEVEN

#28 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

Post deleted by Traveler....: We post the same thing at the same time...

#29 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

I don't know what the Cozumel CR was like in 1995. Though I was only peripherally involved during the 2005 hurricane season, I know that it distributed water, food, blankets, personal hygiene products as well as provided rescue services (scaling walls & poles to reach people & pets in inaccessible places), medical services, free Rx medicines and more.

During meetings over the past few days, I've learned that the Cozumel delegation has prepared to help people during and after this storm -- whatever it may be. Today, tractor trailers full of CR relief supplies are staged a safe distance away waiting for news from affected areas. Initial assessments must be filed by the delegations within 8 hours after the storm passes and the wheels will begin to roll. Final assessments must be completed within 24 hours. Paramedics, EMT's and rescue personnel (both land & aquatic) have moved into the Cozumel facility and are ready to go. As stated above, the military has agreed to assist us. Many other volunteers will report as soon as the storm is over and help with whatever needs doing. (If any of you would like to help, please come to the delegation on 65 Sur at Calle 25 after the storm.)

While everyone here is understandably proud of what we can accomplish on our own, it's nice to know that outside assistance is available and offered without reciprocation or reprisal to anyone who asks.

#30 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

I don't know what the Cozumel CR was like in 1995. Though I was only peripherally involved during the 2005 hurricane season, I know that it distributed water, food, blankets, personal hygiene products as well as provided rescue services (scaling walls & poles to reach people & pets in inaccessible places), medical services, free Rx medicines and more.

The CR/RC have always been the "good guys" of the island, wearing their "white hats". I salute them..... :)

T.

#31 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

BULLETIN
HURRICANE RINA SPECIAL ADVISORY NUMBER 14
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182011
1230 PM CDT WED OCT 26 2011

...NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT FINDS THAT RINA IS A CATEGORY 1 HURRICANE...

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...* THE NORTHEAST COAST OF THE YUCATAN PENINSULA FROM NORTH OF PUNTA GRUESA TO SAN FELIPE

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...* THE EAST COAST OF THE YUCATAN PENINSULA FROM CHETUMAL TO PUNTA GRUESA * THE NORTH COAST OF THE YUCATAN PENINSULA WEST OF SAN FELIPE TO PROGRESO

REPORTS FROM A NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 85 MPH...140 KM/H...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. RINA IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE WIND SCALE. ADDITIONAL WEAKENING IS
FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS. HOWEVER...RINA IS EXPECTED TO BE AT HURRICANE STRENGTH WHEN THE CENTER PASSES NEAR OR OVER THE YUCATAN PENINSULA.

#32 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

Praying for you guys. In hindsight...one of our funnest trips to Coz ( or is it "Cuz" now?) involved a hurricane.

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#33 Hooked on Coz

Hooked on Coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Sky Diving, Riding my Fatboy

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Everyone stay safe. Thinking of all of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users