• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

IDK, as ugly as moles are, how can it's sauce be any better?

This is too funny
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#22 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

Heyyyyy PAULA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question for you - how many little moles did u save from perishing in the storm?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#23 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

you are killing me here. Everybody knows, the only way to save moles is to freeze dry the little buggers. Then they last about 3 months.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#24 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

You know if you get enough of those moles, they could be used to pull those horse drawn carriages... And they eat alot less than the horses.

:P

#25 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

Yesterday, we were told by the couple who own Kaokao and make the artisan chocolate, that Las Palmas (Av 25) makes very good mole, but only on Friday.

I made it once from scratch and it is a very time consuming process, but worth the effort.

A local who is a great cook, recommended a concentrate in the bins at Chadraui by La Benedicion (sp?) called Las Almendras. I have used it several times and it is incredibly good. You poach a whole chicken with onions, carrots and garlic. Then use the stock to thin the paste into a nice sauce. Don't cook the chicken entirely. You shred it and finish cooking it by simmering it in the sauce. Muy rico and no moles were harmed in the making of this sauce!

But, I'm trying Las Palmas very soon.

#26 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the tip Michael. The best mole I've had was the one a group of us made about a year ago. You're right, it's alot of work and time-consuming. Even though we had great success, I've been intimidated to try it by myself. Maybe one of these days when a norte rolls in!

#27 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

Isn't poaching chickens illegal?

lol

#28 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

Only the King's chickens....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#29 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

All this b/c Paula brought up poor little moles...

#30 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

Mole....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#31 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

LMAO - Austin Powers classic - guacaMOLE-LEH!

#32 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

what in a mole hill has been unleashed here!

Mole this, mole that, protect the mole...can't anybody get a little mole now and again????

Holy-Moly an event at El Moro (aka El Mole)...sounds like FUN!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#33 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

wait - there are mole hills in cozumel? I guess they have to live and store their sauce somewhere

#34 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

We just missed Mole day the last week of October. Wow I just had a bad flashback to high school chemistry class.

#35 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

We should stop telling mole jokes I think – It’s mole-itically incorrect and moleicious

#36 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Best mole we have had on the island was at Pancho's Backyard. So good we got a "to-go" cup full for later. The mole at El Morro was found to be way too salty for our tastes.

#37 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

My favorite is from Oaxaca. It has more than 30 ingredients. I have not found anywhere here that really does a good job making it. If done correct it takes more than a day to make because of the time it takes to roast. But I admit I am very picky about my Mole. And it is best when you add a cold glass of tejate with the meal. Oaxaca is also home to the best hot chocolate and pan de yema. If you are ever travelling there you have to try it. Or if you are there during christmas check out the radish sculptures.

#38 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

paula i am shocked to hear you had never tried mole before after all this time. i love it, and actually quite enjoy the premade stuff you buy in the glass jar (dona maria). keep in mind, that some tummies have a hard time digesting everything that goes into mole. my belly loves it, but then gets rid of it very quickly, if you get my drift, if i accept a 2nd serving.
sometimes though, it is worth it.
i have the same reaccion to relleno negro and sac be. TMI, but just don't go overboard with seconds and thirds. i warned ya!

casa denis mole is pretty good.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#39 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

The only "local" food I have ever eaten is Chile Relleno, Polla Fajitas, and something I had the other day...

The "something" looked like chicken salad, served with cut up lettuces, cream on top and a hard, small round disk it was piled on (think I might have had it once before...sorry didn't like it then either).

I tried it, and gave it away.

I am sure I am missing out on some GREAT stuff, but you do need to give those of us who are "local" food challenged the following help;

1. What is it?
2. What's in it?
3. Why so much hot sauce... what is it that I am killing the favor of.

I have NOTHING against local food, I am just not educated it the appreciation of it.

Sorry Nauticab, but I am trying....

Anonymous

#40 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

no need for apologies at all...just find it interesting since i hear you talking about wonderful dishes you cook up and so few local dishes you have tried. sounds like the something you had was a sope.
oh you are missing out on so much. usually the salsa or picante is separate from the dish. when there is habanero sauce on the table, i get a couple of drops of the juice as i like the flavor when used sparingly. i don't like to cover it knowing that later i will have a new hole somewhere! LOL

sopes, panuchos, salbutes, pozole (rojo, blanco), frijoles charros, chilaquiles, mole, frijol con puerco, sac be, relleno negro, gosh there is so much more.

i recommend for anyone who lives here who wants to "get" the food part of the local culture to go to one of these little local hangouts and try something new. if you don't like brains, don't order cesnos. if you don't like cheeks, don't order cachetes, if you don't like stomach, don't order mondongo (some people love it, i can't stand it but that is me). just try something and you may be surprized!
las flamitas
palmeras
careyitos
tres gatitos
mister taco
and so so so many more
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users