• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Danielleboo

Danielleboo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

I am supposed to get to the island on Friday at noon, and then stay at Cozumel Palace for the week. I have fallen in love with Cozumel so it is either come or cancel? When we find out that tomorrow everything there is safe and Rina passes with no damage but alot of rain, should we still come? Will any of the beaches be open and all the tourist stuff like dolphins, manatees, etc? I am trying to be positive for you guys who live there and myself. I want to come visit so bad! but I don't want to miss out on anything when I do.

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

They will fix whatever they need to pretty quick to be ready for you business, I think. I'd go.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

Our BVI honeymoon included a brush with a small hurricane. Fortunately, we were already down there when it came in and we never considered leaving. (Actually, we were bareboat sailing and didn't know what was going on until rough seas forced us seek out a very safe harbor with sturdy docks for tying up). We docked at a resort and were graciously invited to use their facilities even though they expected us to stay on the boat. We had the time of our lives -- warm people with interesting stories, delicious food, tall drinks, and even a steel band. Cozumel Palace offers those kinds of amenities, too. So I hope you get in here in the next few days and have a memorable honeymoon as well -- your company would be much appreciated. Congratulations on your marriage!

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

I would definitely come. The planes should be flying in again on Friday and I doubt electricity will even go out as the storm has been hugely down sized. Cat 1 is nothing down here, frankly. It's not going to blow down power lines. And if I'm wrong and its down for a day, I cannot believe Cozumel Palace doesn't have a generator and all kinds of other comforts to make life without ac for a night or two fun.

There aren't any manatees here, by the way.

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

It it just me? I wanna hug a manatee....:P Manatees I just can't bring myself to go to cage-ville.....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

Danielle- I hope you get there O.K. and make the best memories ever! Congrats!
May I suggest that you some research regarding the capture of the dolphins? It is so inhumane. The poor things are currently in the Hotel Cozumel chlorinated swimming pool! They are taken there in the back of a truck on mattresses every time a storm is imminent. Dolphins are very sensitive and easily stressed. Please don't swim w/ the prisoners.

#7 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

There are manatees here now. At Chankanaab. See http://www.cozumelparks.com/

#8 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

Here is some info on where they live http://www.savethema...org/manfcts.htm

Not to get into a big fight over the way these animals are taken from the wild and mistreated, which I don't think is right, the end result is, it has been done and they must have interaction of some kind maybe it will get people to think about what is happening at these places.

I did the swim with the dolphins when the swine flu hit the island (or didn't)and yes it is sad but even the money hunger people at the dolphin prison knew they had to have interaction.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#9 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:48 AM

They also have Sea Lions at Chankanaab Park. I have done swimming with sea lions in the wild in the Galapagos Islands. It is a potentially high risk activity as they are a near top of the food chain predator. I have also done swimming with Manatee at Crystal River Florida. They congregate there close to the nuclear power plant where the water is warmer.

I have been to the Hotel Cozumel and seen the treatment and care provided to the dolphins during a hurricane threat. Chankanaab has an established and proven track record. Now if you want to ask questions, where are and how are the ones doing from Dolphinaris? The previous downtown "Dolphin Swim Park", the one the Gods washed into the sea during Wilma, that one, you don't want to know.

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

Rina is a tropical storm, so pack your bags and come on down.

Some of the things you mentioned you might want to do may not be available to you.

Bring your bug stray.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

It it just me? I wanna hug a manatee....:P Manatees I just can't bring myself to go to cage-ville.....

Good choice not going to cage-ville... I was lucky enough to encounter manatees in the wild in Punta Cana DR in June after 22 years and I would guess over 1000 dives.

Encountering them after this long as a diver in the wild by chance made the encounter so much sweeter...

MC

PS - I also encountered dolphins int he wild in CZM
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

So, the topic was that somebody who wanted to COME to Cozumel.

It's 2.:29 here and the winds are starting to pick up some.

I thought this thing (Cat 1/TS) would have been out of here this morning.

Guess we just have to wait.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#13 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

All the live web cameras are off line (as far as I can tell). Is everyone doing okay?

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

All the live web cameras are off line (as far as I can tell). Is everyone doing okay?

Everyone is totally fine. They're just sitting around fuming because they had to do all that prep work and if they'd known they were only going to get gusts to 70 mph if that, they wouldn't have even bothered to board up.

I would be somewhat surprised if they even turn the electric off. Although the dry laws will stay in effect until after the storm is completely passed. (The dry laws don't effect hotel bars and restaurants, however, so not to worry on that count.)

#15 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

OK, so I dont understand - why are there dry laws? wouldn't a big storm be a great time to get drunk, bend over and and kiss your arse goodbye? Its not like they're going to have an election or anything, so why?
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#16 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Actually, when we were on the island and the dry laws were in effect a couple years ago, we couldn't get any booze. We were offered fresh juice at all the bars, and the hotel we stayed at couldn't serve us at the bar. We had to order room service, from our room, and then could only get a bottle of wine.

We did meet a guy while walking through the cemetary after the storm who said he could get us some tequila.

#17 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

Dawn, I don't want to even think about where he go the tequila...

But, just found out from FB that Kelly's is open

Anonymous

#18 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

Open is one thing. But are they just serving fresh juice? :unsure:

#19 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

The one at Scuba Club Cozumel seemed to stay up the whole time. It looked pretty wet last night!

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:11 AM

Other then some clean up with the chain saw on some branches, we had no problems.

The power never went out, TV worked, Internet never went down, so other then some high gusts of winds, and a little rain...fortunately, no problem.

Now I get to clean my patio which is devoid of all the furniture, and plants!!!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users