• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:28 AM

After doing this Cozumel thing for 15 years and sometimes twice a year I've got a couple of questions. This year the wife is taking one of her girl friends with us. She's been with us a couple of times before but this year were looking at a different place to stay. We have stayed at Casa Del Mar for over 10 years but this year they seem a little high priced and this is going to be a little bit of a budget deal. Looking at a place called Villas Caribe. (The old Days Inn) The price is great and the photos look like it is very nice. Looks like they have a pool etc, place to park the rental. Being in town the girls can go shopping and I won't have to drag along with them. Anybody ever stay there? We won't book for a couple of weeks yet but will probably get our air now as the price seems to be holding steady. CVChief if your reading this I see your from Pa and are headed down in Dec. What kind of air did you find? Got a couple more questions but I'm out of time right now. Maybe tonight. Thanks

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

Air for us often a toss up. The missus is doing AA, Dulles to Dallas to Coz in 1st week of November. That cost us 393.53 Total
I don't much like flying to Texas to fly back to Cozumel. Its like west then east.... Doesnt make sense in an airline seat! :angry:

Now in December we had an Airtran credit from a missed dengue trip, so we booked the Airtran non-stop from BWI to Cancun. 426.87 total That is with the pick a seat fee. We bought on the higher end of economy. That is no bag fee. I gotta say I like the direct flight even if it is CUN. I think we may try the mayair on the way back or maybe both ways. I do like a nice ferry ride on Ultramar listing to Latin-Ga. :lol:

Now we tried Delta in July. That is nice. Shoot down to Atlanta and then straight to Coz. The Coz leg coming back was the smaller plane so limited overheads, but we didn't have a problem. The list our December run at around 404 today, but I think the days are little off. Sometimes too the Delta flight are only available outta Reagan and who want to fly outta Reagan. :blink:

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

We stayed at the Days INN a while back...the photos don;t show you the real story...its pretty run down now and they have had a lot of monthly rentals available for very cheap, so the place doesn;t get much cleanup...
The beds are old, the rooms need repainting and the a/c's are old, leak and are very noisy...The pool needs mucho work and the restaurant in the back is also old in decor but the food was pretty good. They get a lot of take out business from locals. I think you could find a better deal.

Check out Casa Mexicana, which is right on Melgar...Hotel Flamingo is on 6th ....Casa Hacienda on 8th or 10th? all close to town, shopping and restaurants....Hotel Cozumel is also a good place, close to town as well as Blue Angel...which is more south from town but very nice and reasonable.
Good Luck and enjoy your visit.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#4 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

We're looking at 550 on Delta from Pittsburgh thru Atlanta for The week of Dec 3. Thats a four hour drive but we are in the boonies in norther pa. A couple of years we have gotten a good deal out of Buffalo which is only 2 hours away but this year they are about 125 higher so for 3 people its a pretty good savings to go to Pitt. I've never done customs and immigration in Atlanta. How is it. We used to do Continental through Houston but after missing our connecting flight on the way home a couple of times we switched to US air through Charlotte. Piece of cake compared to Texas but for some reason US Air is way high this year unless they come down in the next couple of days. See you on the Isla?

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

Villas Caribe is OK, one of the better values for budget priced. It is better priced and better quality than the Aguilar downtown which I can no longer suggest. That stretch of calle 11 is some of the worst areas to walk after dark due to the poor quality sidewalks, lighting, both low and high hanging obstructions. The glare of car headlights makes it even harder to see the tree limbs and boulders which will block part of the sidewalk. It is close to a busy intersection, but is fairly quiet at night. Don't expect a servi-bar in your room even if promised and the pool water will be cold. During "high season", Carnaval, they might have had seven rooms rented last year. Internet service not great, but functional.

Other budget accommodations that you might consider would be Suites Vima, 10th avenue and calle 6, and the Casona Real (old Hotel del Centro) on Juarez and corner of avenue 25.

Atlanta customs that I experienced last year for the first time was excellent. They actually had greeters saying welcome to the United States at customs entrance and at baggage recheck, a welcome to Atlanta person. Fast, professional, but more courteous than I have experienced in a long time. Old fashioned Southern Hospitality, almost a lost art.

#6 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the info on Days Inn. I wondered how current the pics were and found different info for it on different sites. Hotel Coz was our first stay when it was Fiesta Inn. I'm not crazy about how it has changed over the years (the pool parties and loud music etc). We stayed at Caribe Blue after Wilma because CDM wasn't open yet and we liked it there. I'll have to get a quote from them. Casa Mex is very nice but a little to in town. Thanks again. Ron

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

Yike, you must be up there? Like Clearfield or Tioga maybe?

Like Charles said, Atlanta was nice. We got the Customs Global Entry thing. In ATL we walked by the lines to 3 kiosks with NO ONE around them and then out the crew gate in seconds. If you go alot they are worth it!! Heck if you go a little it was worth it.

That transfer in a Houston can be a bear. We only made it one time because my Father in law was along and he couldn't walk so well. I had arranged for a wheelchair and Helga the Wheelchair Valykre took us through Houston like you know what through a goose. She was throwing body blocks like a full back. Scared me.... She took us all. I started to limp a little so I didn't feel so bad at the stares I got in her wake.... She would turn around an yell at us to keep up. "Mach Schnell, Mach Schnell...." She pushed into the Customs line and scared them too.... :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#8 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

Maybe a stupid question here, but why not fly directly to DFW from PA and book your trip as if your origin was in DFW? AA flies direct and for about the same price as anyone else.

I'm just confused by all the connectors you guys are trying to figure out - makes no sense.

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

Maybe a stupid question here, but why not fly directly to DFW from PA and book your trip as if your origin was in DFW? AA flies direct and for about the same price as anyone else.

I'm just confused by all the connectors you guys are trying to figure out - makes no sense.

MC

Now you confused me? (Which isnt hard...) We, or at least I, can book a flight outta Washington somewhere on AA through to DFW to CZM. Continental/United through Houston is also good. US Air does it, but the price just hasn't put them first yet. I think that would be cheaper than 2 separate flights to do those legs. AA isnt always the cheapest. I will give a few dollars more if given the choice to go Delta through Atlanta to shorten the time in the air. Also it doesn't take much savings to convince me to flight direct, non-stop to Cancun and do the bag drag, but then we are now in carry on only mode, so that helps. I do like one on the plane and once off and none of that customs in the middle stuff.

And I got a guy I can email for a direct van transfer for a decent price.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

Dec is "high season"...all prices go up.

check the route on US Air through Charlotte direct into Cozumel.

If your budget is really tight, then Blue Angle/Scuba Club/Cozumel Hotel might be good options.

I would book air, and hotel together.

Landing in Cancun is an option but by the time you get done with the cost of bus, ferry, and taxi to your hotel, plus an additional 4/5 hours it may not be worth it.

BTW, I a Sharpsville girl.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

Dec is "high season"...all prices go up.

check the route on US Air through Charlotte direct into Cozumel.

If your budget is really tight, then Blue Angle/Scuba Club/Cozumel Hotel might be good options.

I would book air, and hotel together.

Landing in Cancun is an option but by the time you get done with the cost of bus, ferry, and taxi to your hotel, plus an additional 4/5 hours it may not be worth it.

BTW, I a Sharpsville girl.

Sharpsville? You know anything north of Rt 80 is hicksville, PA right? :P

And the bag drag doesnt have to be 4 hours. I look at this way:

IAD-DFW 3.5
and then DFW to CZM is 2.5

With the layover, you go 7 in right?

BWI-CUN, non-stop, less than 4

CUN to Playa by my shuttle guy 50 minutes and maybe 40US total for all.

Now OF COURSE the ferry will leave while I am walking to buy a ticket, thats a given, so add another hour.

So now we are at 6 hours, still shorter and LESS airline seat.

And like infomercials, WAIT there's more::lol:

The hour in Playa is spent in Senior Frogs, drinking Sol, having a gnash and looking at the beautiful water, so we have to subtract that back off.B)

Now we are back to 5 hours.

Then a ferry ride of 50 minutes, but hopefully it is UltraMar and I get to listen to the band on the way over while I drink ANOTHER sol, so I am only going to add on 20 minutes.:o

So total time to the ferry dock in Coz is like the same 7 hours, less 1.5 because some of it is enjoyable, so net billable travel is 5.5.

That is what we call Jefe Math. Thanks, tip your waitress, I'll be here all week.... :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

Seriously though, isnt there a direct, non-stop flight to CZM from Chicago? Have you tried a connector to there from Buffalo?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

Jefe math is right.

Buffalo is not a good connection...(kid lives there, and going through Charlotte is best)

Yes, I know that I lived in "hicksville"...but as kids we didn't know that.

It's okay, we had a few thousand acres that the government wanted to build a damn.

Hicks always survive.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#14 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

OMG I need a margarita - anyone wanna meet me at coconuts? :P
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

We have to get the Captain and crew here first before we are going anywhere.

Anonymous

#16 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:39 PM

Galeton, Pa. The sign coming into town says Gods Country, but I'm not so sure about that. We love the US Air flight from Buffalo through Charlotte but right now it is showing $1060. Figure that out. Looks like it is Delta this time. Booking the hotel and flight together only seems to work if you are staying at one of the AI places or the larger hotels. We were down the same time a few years ago and enjoyed it. I think we've been down in just about every month except maybe may. Gonna do a little more research but may just end up back at CDM. I can run the girls up town to shop or they can take a taxi. Were trying to do a budget trip but not going to do something we regret just to save a 100 bucks. We'll check out some of these other places and make a decision in a couple of weeks.

#17 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

Had to look up where you’re at – you’re about 250 miles any good airport – JFK, Newark, Philly... Sorry, but that sucks... Buffalo is your closest at 120 miles, but I doubt theres any good airfare from there to anywhere...

I think you should look at the cost difference between a flight to Buffalo to a gateway city: DFW, HOU, MIA or ATL... Plan the departure to CZ from that gate way city... Then compare it to the cost of driving 250 miles to a real airport and flying to the above gateways... Depending on the time / money savings, make your choice.

Regarding booking together/separate – not true... DFW to CZ right now was fluctuating between 505 and 550... packages including the less expensive hotels were running about 600 to 650... You can’t get cheaper lodging than that booking separate..

#18 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

Galeton, Pa. The sign coming into town says Gods Country, but I'm not so sure about that.

Well heck we are almost neighbors. I belong to a club up in Arnot, just below Blossburg.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#19 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

CV, you must be a hunter. There is no way anyone would belong to anything around here unless they hunted or fished. Am I right? I've looked into trying to do it with two different flights. When my daughter lived in Atlanta we thought about driving down for a visit and on the way home stop in charlotte and fly usair to coz. Guess what, it is more to fly from charlotte to coz than it is from Buffalo to coz. The airlines know they have you. My wife is in Colorado now visiting the grandkids and that tickets was about 350. You know the old saying, if you want to dance you have to pay the fiddler. Looks like the fiddler is just going to get a little more this trip. But thinking back on our first trip in 96, if my memory is right we paid aroung 750 for air and a week at the Fiesta Inn. So if I pay 550 for the air and a couple hundred lodging we are at what we paid 15 years ago. I tell all our friend what a deal Coz is but they would rather dump a couple grand at Virginia Beach or someplace in the US.

#20 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

Wait forget CZM, I got you covered. Airtran runs outta Buffalo. How about $451 into CUN on
Buffalo (BUF) to Cancun (CUN) - Fri, Dec 2

AirTran Buffalo (BUF) to Atlanta (ATL) - Fri, Dec 2

AirTran 557 Dep: 5:50AM Arr: 7:53AM 2h 3m Boeing 717 Coach ®

Layover in ATL 4h 42m

AirTran Atlanta (ATL) to Cancun (CUN) - Fri, Dec 2

AirTran 46 Dep: 12:35PM Arr: 2:49PM 3h 14m Boeing 737 Coach ®

Cancun (CUN) to Buffalo (BUF) - Fri, Dec 9

AirTran Cancun (CUN) to Atlanta (ATL) - Fri, Dec 9

AirTran 45 Dep: 12:13PM Arr: 4:05PM 2h 52m Boeing 737 Coach ®

Layover in ATL 5h 5m

AirTran Atlanta (ATL) to Buffalo (BUF) - Fri, Dec 9

AirTran 556 Dep: 9:10PM Arr: 11:11PM 2h 1m Boeing 717 Coach ®

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $451.40

Total cost for 1 passenger $451.40

You can even take Mayair across if you want to avoid the ferry for what like $50 a person now?

Get on this site and play around: Ita Matrix

My travel agent commission is payable in Beer, margaritas or churros. :P (The real churros not the slang churros! :angry:)

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users