• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:32 PM

Air is about a done deal. Lindas friend just dropped off a check for her ticket and Linda gets home tomorrow night from Colo. If I read Delta's website right they also don't charge a baggage fee for the first bag to Mexico. That saves 50 bucks on a round trip so Delta it is. CV, we used Airtran frequently when my daughter was in Atlanta and loved that airline. Now if we can get them to fly into Coz it would be great. Think they got bought up by Southwest and it wont be long there will only be 3 or 4 airlines flying. We'll touch base before we leave as I always pay my commisions. Have you ever tried the dark XX on draught at the French Quarter.

#22 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

Air is about a done deal. Lindas friend just dropped off a check for her ticket and Linda gets home tomorrow night from Colo. If I read Delta's website right they also don't charge a baggage fee for the first bag to Mexico. That saves 50 bucks on a round trip so Delta it is. CV, we used Airtran frequently when my daughter was in Atlanta and loved that airline. Now if we can get them to fly into Coz it would be great. Think they got bought up by Southwest and it wont be long there will only be 3 or 4 airlines flying. We'll touch base before we leave as I always pay my commisions. Have you ever tried the dark XX on draught at the French Quarter.

No but I have brought a 6 or two home from Mega. I like wondering through the beers....

And yes, its a hunting camp in Arnot.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#23 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

Seriously though, isnt there a direct, non-stop flight to CZM from Chicago?

During high season there usually is one non stop a week from Chicago to Czm on American only on Saturdays. United has done one in the past but I haven't seen it this year or last yet. Most of the time I have seen the non stop the price is almost double the flight that stops at DFW first, with a few exceptions.

#24 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

Just for kicks I checked Chicago. AA and Delta both running about 460 and there is no way we could get to chicago and back for 90 bucks. Anyway this is giving me a headache so as soon as Linda gets home tonight we will book with Delta out of Pitt for 550. Might try the Orbitz thing and if the price goes down they refund you. At least that is what the ad says.

#25 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:04 AM

My info is probable well out of date, but I've stayed at the Days Inn a couple of times - last time was December 1999 (a trip that did Not end well for me - a Moped Accident on January 1, 2000 that required an Air Ambulance trip home a 10 days in a hospital, but that's another story). I liked the location, and the pool was great. At that time, they served Breakfast in the Cabana by the Pool, and the food was satisfactory (nothing to write home about, but something to eat before diving). The rooms at that time were marginal; plenty of space, but run down, old furniture, lousy beds, and the bathrooms had a moldy smell. AC was cold enough, but damp. I'd stay there, but only if the price was well below other options. Someone else mentioned Casa Mexicana on Melgar - I stayed there in July this year. Rooms were excellent, location outstanding, breakfast buffet (included with room) is OK, not great. The "pool" is just a kiddie pool on steroids - smaller than my living room, and only about 3 feet deep. You can get wet, but swimming laps is out. If a pool is important, I'd keep looking. I'm staying at Casa Del Mar in about a month (Dec. 1-8), and I like it, though I'd prefer a hotel closer to downtown.

#26 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

Global Entry turns any international arrival back to the states into a very fast experience. I generally come in through Houston and they have 8 kiosks and never anyone there. Also if you are by chance travelling with carry on only, they shunt you down a different escalator and you come out past customs. Saves a good 45 minutes.

Not all airports have this as yet but DFW does, Newark, Atlanta. I'm thinking Charlotte but I don't know.

Bottom line is for $100 and a little bit of trouble to get set up, you will have a much nicer connection experience in any airport that offers this.

#27 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info and Carey we will probably look into Global Entry this winter. This trip looks like we have a 4 hour layover in Atlanta so it wont be a problem except the standing in line. We plan on being there Dec 3 thru 10 so CV if your on the island we need to find a place where the beer is cold and the margarittas large. DJ, it is starting to look like we will be going back to Casa Del Mar for another year so we may see you there. We'll be driving one of John's slightly used Trackers with the top down. Have you ever gone to that little cigar bar a couple of doors down, up a set of very narrow stairs. I think its called Guantanamero. Neat little place to have a drink. Enjoy!

#28 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

(The real churros not the slang churros! :angry:)

Can you please start a thread on the proper pronunciation of "Churros?"

Thank you

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#29 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

I was explaining to a local friend how we screwed around too long in the Plaza and it started to rain and the churro guys were leaving and the wife WANTED a churro. I explained how I was running around asking if anyone had a churro. He started laughing loudly and explained churro is also slang for something you should not get caught wandering around the plaza asking for.... Between fits of laughter he would squeek out, "Jefe wants a churro...."

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#30 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

check hotel barracuda for a slightly lower priced, walk to town, nice pool, beach and waterfront, fridge, and clean rooms. the villas is more for long term rentals and often used for school teams/athletes coming over for competitions.
also caribe blu, between hotel coz and villa blanca. villa blanca could be a good option as well. just gotta check around.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#31 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

churros is slang for a joint. Please start a new thread if you want to discuss this more. I suggest in the new Spanish language learning forum.

#32 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

Not really....

Capt, we will be there too. Will you have email access while you are there? I can PM you an email and we can hook up. (And not talking about churros...)

Our place is in El Centro near the Plaza, so about anywhere around there is good. You know you *might* have time to apply for Global Entry, get preliminary approval and then schedule your interview in Atlanta during your layover? Just a thought. There are only certain airports you can go to to do the enrollment interview, which take maybe a 1/2 an hour tops. Also they are pilot testing a hook up to TSA I believe that may offer the opportunity to speed through the grope and go process.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#33 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

I found the best margarita to be from Coconuts... But I am sure others will chime in.

Enjoy your trip - I am trying to get back down there in June

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#34 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

Captain Ronald - look for me at early Breakfast at Casa Del Mar eating with a group - don't know how many yet, but 6-8 probably. I'll be the old fat guy with silver hair. If it's like last year, we'll all bug out early - Dive With Martin wants to leave from its pier by 8:00am. No, I never went to the little Cigar Bar you mentioned - I'm not a cigar afficionado - but if it's the place I'm thinking of, a couple doors south from the Casa Del Mar, upstairs above that little convenience store, and immediately across from Ernesto's, I noticed last July that it was now advertised as a topless joint. I don't have anything against that, but I stopped going into those types of places long ago; I was just kind of amused about the idea of such a small, out of the way place becoming a Topless Bar.

#35 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

I’m pretty sure that’s the place he refers to... I kinda remember that convenience store being a 7-11 back 20 years ago, but has a different name now... I may be wrong tho...

Enjoy your dives with martin - thats who I dive with now...

#36 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM

DJ, I'll be the old skinny guy with silver hair. We've decided on Casa Del Mar again so I'm sure we will meet up. Actually my wife is down there early having her morning coffee. One thing we like about the place is that even before the restaurant was open they would get the coffee going for her. CV I'll drop you a note on here before we leave. You can pm me a email address and I can use the net in CDM lobby. We will be down on Monday 12-5. Slight change of departure date as it saved us enough to make it worth while. The place I was talking about is probably the one that is topless now. I found a old business card and it was Guantanamera and was run by Danny Aguilar. The couple of times we went up for a drink we were the only ones there and it was just nice to set at the front window and watch the street below. We didn't make it down last year so it must have gone topless then. I'll save the topless experience for Mezcalitto's and Coconuts. Enjoy

#37 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

As this is quickly becoming the December thread for CMC, is anyone interested in a get together at El Moro on December 5th? It is being hosted by the December thread on Scubaboard, but we could make it a joint CMC-SB event. Perhaps call it the First Annual Cozumel My Cozumel meets the 4th 2011 Quarterly ScubaBoard El Moro Gathering Sure to be Enjoyed By All, or the FACMCMT411SBQEMGSTBEBA for short. There may be T Shirts and Commemorative Challenge Coins. :P

This will also serve to incorporate the Mole Thread as well....

Anyone interested?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#38 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

Why can't you leave those poor creatures alone, chief???!! LOL

#39 kentmorrdave

kentmorrdave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

Villas ana is $70 a night, highly thought of, behind hotel coz a couple blocks in corpus christy. I got a good AA fare from bwi-cun the czm-bwi

#40 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

Captain, you where close. "Guantanamera" is now a "gentleman's club"...

Chief is on the case with the Mole. No Mole will go unturned (or underdone, or overdone)

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users