5 replies to this topic

#1 Hengemaster

Hengemaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hi all
I'm coming to Cozumel next week and will be looking to go fishing. I'll be booking a guide to bonefish for at least 1 day but wanted to know whether I needed a license to fish on my own from the shore on Cozumel. If so where do I get this?

I think I'm going to be staying in the Melia which is in the north, not too far from the flats areas and lagoons where the bonefish are, but would reaaly welcome any advice people had about good places to fish. Particularly areas I can wade out from the shore. Whats the fishing on the west coast like, big surf by the looks of it. Any good tarpon spots anywhere on Cozumel? I do this kind of thing all over the world and kind of know what I'm doing and looking for. I just want to be sure that I'm not going to get told by a policeman that I'm not allowed to fish. Are the beaches all public?

Thanks

John

#2 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

Technically, from shore, a fishing permit is not required.

You won't find any tarpon or bones that are accessible from shore.

Carey lists a guy likes on the "tours that we trust" link at the top of the page. One of my guests swears by Alex Evan. His email address is alexe17@prodigy.net.mx

If you go out by boat, then the boat will have the license for you. I buy an annual license from CONAPESCA at:

http://www.conapesca...FTOKEN=97614412

It takes about a week for the license to arrive via US Mail as they are very responsive.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#3 Hengemaster

Hengemaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:49 AM

Thanks for that. Good to know that technically I don't need a license to just fish from the shore. I might try and find a the regulations that say that and carry it with me.

I think that's Carlos Vega in the tours we trust, I've emailed him about fishing. Plus someone called Nacho I found online. I'll also email Alex.

Cheers,

John

#4 Leo - spearfishing

Leo - spearfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

Technically..... you do need an individual fishing permit when you fish from shore.
When you fish from a boat then the boat needs to have a permit, not the individual (unless you spearfish).
I see Tarpon around Melia/El Cozumeleņo when the water gets stirred up....... too bad for you though you canīt fish from the Cozumeleņo pier.... ;)
Leo
spearfishingtoday.com
"spear to live and live to spear"

#5 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

My comments related to fishing licenses from shore were from a fishing website from the west coast of MX. I defer to Leo regarding shore fishing licenses in Cozumel.

While the locals fish with a hand string and a spark plug for weight, a decent surf rod will get you out to at least the first drop off.

Better yet, go spearfishing with Leo and you can see, chase and shoot your dinner!

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:39 AM

we can set up fishing trips with some of the most respected and well known flats fishermen, spinners and fly. can set you up with half day or full day, bonefish, tarpon, snook, palmettos, permit.
carey's guy is great, but he is more focused on deep sea fishing. you need someone dedicated to flats fishing if you want a really good flats day and the 2 guys we work with grew up there cause their dads and grandparents did the same. you can PM me if you like so get all details. the trip could be with tortuga or with ministro.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users