testing to see if photos display in the text

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

Posted Image

Charles, a facebook photo is recorded by facebook into a special file format. The URL of the link to the photo reads something like: http://www.facebook....3&id=1213929129

When I try to include such a link to a photo, the CMC website software tells me that this extension is not allowed. One thing we could check to have you or Carey authorize a .PHP extension in the images allowed settings. This may work, or is might not. I'm not sure what the whole "?pid-31173503&id-1213929129" thing that follows the .PHP file extension is all about. It may be that the file type is a .PHP file and that just listing that as an acceptable image file type in the board software will be enough. It is worth trying. However, it may be that facebook is recording their images within a image library or database and cannot be directly pointed to by other websites. Perhaps the tech support people at the IP.board support line would know this. One way to check is to authorize the .PHP extension and then tell me about it and I'll test it. Or you can put a photo on facebook yourself and try to point to it from a posting.

The photo above is an image from a website that I put together. The image being displayed is stored on that website as a .JPG file (a file extension type that is already authorized by the CMC website software). The files I uploaded to facebook were .JPG files HOWEVER, it looks like when I uploaded them that facebook changed the upload to a .PHP filetype. This is probably what is causing the problem.

One way to check this is to find a photo display/sharing website that allows you to store true .JPG files on your photo album (and does not change their format to something else as does facebook). I will try to find a photo sharing site (like google photo, or picassa, etc) and see if that works. I'll let you know.

So, to repeat - please you or Carey, authorize image types .PHP and that may allow people to link to facebook photos within the text of their trip reports on the CMC board. Once you authorize it, I'll test it out and see if that solves the problem. While you are doing that, I'll find a non-facebook photo sharing site that stores photos in their original .JPG format and try that.

OK, this note is added at a later date. I'm inserting a photo from Picassa (a google photo sharing site). It seems to work fine.

" the URL link is to: http://lh3.ggpht.com...irio/casa1.jpg"
Posted Image

#2 MusicMan

MusicMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

PHP is not really a simple file type, like JPG. PHP is closer to a programing language like javascript. Many forums do not allow PHP to run due to potential risk to the site by "bad guys".
Cruisin' toward retirement!!

#3 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:15 AM

Thanks, MusicMan. I suspected it might be something like that. I'll look for a photo site that allows you to store straight up .JPG files and try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users