#21 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

Oh my gosh! I wish I could afford to buy the condo at Palmas Reales. We scored most of a week there in a 4 bedroom Taj Mahal after a problem at our 1 bedroom downstairs apartment.... I don't think it really is an argument about which is better. It is more a discussion in which you sort of have to pick the parts that most match you.

And just cuz I like sparring with Mark: No, Mark, it wasn't the AI that made you an alcoholic... :blink:

Seriously though there are people who take alot to get loaded and they don't go to bed till they are when on vacation. That aint judgmental, its just a fact. You see them getting on the plane with a 1 gallon insulated mug as their carry on. If you want to drink like that, AI are probably a good deal right? I mean I tried to drink early and often there as I figure I was improving my margins, but I am to much of a lightweight. I also ate that way. Ugg...

If the AIs are underbook, darn right you can get in cheap. We did during swine flu for about 1500 for two for 9 days. By the same token though you can shop deals on condos as well. I don't think the condos respond to low occupancy as quickly, but they do respond.

These guys aren't into scuba (Seriously?) so close to the reefs doesn't do a thing for them. I don't think the snorkeling was anything to write home about either, so except for eating and drinking, what do they get outta down south considering a $20 taxi ride to town? If you can accept a beach as a sandbox next to a ladder into the water, that would open up some other spots with better snorkeling.

If you want to look at some resorts, try Larry's photos He has photographed alot of them.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#22 Crenitynow

Crenitynow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

If you are looking for a romantic honeymoon the Sabor seems like a good place for you. From my understanding the Sabor has been getting a face lift for the last month or so. It should be in tip top shape during your honeymoon. Another perk is that the Sabor is an Adults Only resort which will also be nice for you and your wife to be.

I am going there the first week of December and will return just before Christmas...look for my post. Its been quite a few years since I have been at this resort...it was the Reef Club back then...we loved it.

#23 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:44 AM

LOL Chief – yes, the sparring is fun... Maybe one day we’ll end up on the island at the same time... I don’t drink a lot actually... But it seems too easy to abuse the opportunity at an AI. I am proud to say I’ve NEVER (seriously) chummed the waters from the dive boat! Haha

Also Chief – next time you hit CZ – go see the condos they built across the street from the Money Bar – the 2 BR is OMG SWEET... And can be yours for only $600K! Your mouth will drop open when you walk in the front door and see the carribean from the front door – seriously – I was speechless... The views, the balconies, and amenities are freaking amazing... And get this – the 1 BR which I did not think was livable for 2 people (floor plan sucked) was only $295K – go see it – they are amazing...

I love the idea of the private condo from a secluded / romantic blah blah blah perspective... And I think that’s what you pay for – the privacy and seclusion.. Air for 2 from DFW minimum has been $1010, so add a ‘cheap’ condo for say 70 bucks a night +14% tax, you’re talking ~$720 for 9 nights... You can go AI for that all day long. Still, I at one point want to do the private condo just for the experience.

@Crenitynow – the Sabor used to be the Wyndham, if I recall correctly...

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#24 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

Yea, I am sure they laughed at my pathetic attempts to get over on them by drinking enough alcohol.

At Landmark: Yea those condos at Money look sweet. We have been watching. I DID NOT tour them when the guy at money asked.... I did sneak a look at them online. Must be nice to have enough cashola for one. I did tour Residencia Reef when we started looking. Nice stuff there too. Still you are at around 200K to get an efficiency, no bedroom. We like to bring friends and family along, so we wanted something bigger.

Your airfare sucks. I just sent the missus through DFW on Saturday for like 390 starting from IAD. We are going through CUN in December. Thinking of trying the puddle jumper at least on the way home that trip.

Now if you have any friends... :P You can rent a nice condo with a couple bedrooms and make out. Say even 4 of you were in my place, that only like 32 pp/per day. At 6 people that's 21 a day at the rack rate. The other think about the condo is the room to stretch out. Tables and chairs and couches. Nice to come back from diving and crash on the balcony or the couch with a beer and rest your eyes; let the laptop up and running for email. We have the vonage thing, so family and friends (if you have them... :o) can call and say hey. Nice big fridge to stick the leftovers from Kinta or wherever in for that nice after dive gnosh.... (and the cold beer and limes.... did i mention that? )

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#25 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

Yep – Landmark was the condos – couldn’t remember the name – they are spectacular.

Yeah, I realize the cost of the condo goes down with added people. The challenge is finding people that have the time to go at the same time, and have the money to go...

$390 is a d*nm good rate and I think Paula said you’re up in PA or something... I just set up a TA airfare advisory for CZ. If the air falls below 500, I’ll get an email. I did talk to my GF about CZ for 2012 and we’re thinking about another 10d/9n trip like we did this year, and Memorial day or 4th of july week seem like viable options – leave the friday before the holiday, come back the following sunday... We’ll do the same thing for our Belize trip Labor day week 2012.

Of course, this is all dependent upon job stability remaining as it is right now – IT work is so unstable. LOL

MC

PS - you had to mention cold beer huh...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#26 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

Mark,

That is outta Dulles by DC. We are going together in December. Best price I could get was about 425 total a piece, direct, non-stop from BWI at Baltimore to CUN. Thinking I will use the Mayair to come back over to CUN, might even try it from CUN to CZM.

You should pop into CUN and take the puddle jumper. Look like you can do the both for less than 450? Do you use: ita matrix?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#27 4aGoodCoz

4aGoodCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Travel, food, family and friends.

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

Have stayed at Aura (Aug, 2009) and Ibero (Oct, 2011). Ibero is a wonderful resort, but the food is horrible. Other than that, no complaints. Aura is a small, boutique hotel. It was very nice when we stayed there. No buffets (all ala-carte) and top-shelf liqour if that matters to you. For a honeymoon, I would definately choose the Aura. You can arrange snorkeling, parasailing and activities on site. Both have really great "real" beaches whereas the AI's closer to town have more of a man-made sea wall type beach. I have heard amazing things about the Palace, but have never stayed there and it IS definately closer to town than either of these two resorts. My preference is always a condo (although I made an exception last month when traveling with a friend), but it sounds as though you really want an AI. Hope this helps and Happy Honeymoon!
Christie
"I have to go, I feel I’m sinkin'. I just don’t know, but I can’t stop thinkin'...Mexico." - Firefall

#28 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

Man, Dallas sucks now as far as airfares when we (and Houston) used to be the gateway of all gateways to Mexico... Best I saw on matrix dfw to czm is no different than anything I’ve already seen – 505 to 550... I did get a TA email with a 480 fare and it was gone by the time I saw it, replaced with 515... I looked up dfw to cun and cun to czm and that was about 1100 in June.

and that my friend is why private condos for 2 will come out more expensive most of the time – airfare is gouged...

have a great trip and link us to some pics... I should show u the pic I took of my GF getting an iguana drunk on a strawberry daiquiri at the allegro... LOL

MC

#29 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hey Mark, How is customs at Dallas. We ended up using AA and flying through Dallas. We have a pretty good layover there on the way home but its always nice to have a heads up on what and where to go. I love going through Charlotte but cost was way out of line this year. Do you ever use Kayak for checking air? They are showing about 500 on United and Continental in June. Its nice because you get all the airlines in one click. And yes, the air to Coz sucks.

#30 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

Man, Dallas sucks now as far as airfares when we (and Houston) used to be the gateway of all gateways to Mexico... Best I saw on matrix dfw to czm is no different than anything I've already seen – 505 to 550... I did get a TA email with a 480 fare and it was gone by the time I saw it, replaced with 515... I looked up dfw to cun and cun to czm and that was about 1100 in June.

and that my friend is why private condos for 2 will come out more expensive most of the time – airfare is gouged...

have a great trip and link us to some pics... I should show u the pic I took of my GF getting an iguana drunk on a strawberry daiquiri at the allegro... LOL

MC

Wouldn't you love to know the logic that lets us fly through DFW to CZM from DC cheaper than you can from DFW? Weird....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#31 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

You cant beat the system!

#32 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hey Mark, How is customs at Dallas. We ended up using AA and flying through Dallas. We have a pretty good layover there on the way home but its always nice to have a heads up on what and where to go. I love going through Charlotte but cost was way out of line this year. Do you ever use Kayak for checking air? They are showing about 500 on United and Continental in June. Its nice because you get all the airlines in one click. And yes, the air to Coz sucks.

Customs in Dallas is a mixed bag. When we arrived home from Punta Cana in June, no big deal - went through in minutes... When we arrived from Cozumel in September, 3-4 other international flights had also just landed and the bag claim / customs line was a NIGHTMARE... I couldn't tell where the line ended it wrapped so many times. However, to the immigrations credit, they got us through there FAST considering how many people there were - Prob 45 minutes.

I havent used Kayak in a long time, but I will now, thanks for the reminder.

Wouldn't you love to know the logic that lets us fly through DFW to CZM from DC cheaper than you can from DFW? Weird....

YES I WOULD!

MC

#33 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:24 AM

You think thats bad compare Toronto to your rates. A flight I am looking at from Raleigh,NC to CZM is $627. Toronto to CZM. $506. Last year I flew from RDU-CLT-CZM over $100pp cheaper than the direct CLT-CZM route. Both airports are and easy drive a little over an hour for RDU and about 2hrs for CLT.

#34 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

Obviously it depends on what kind of deal you can get. If I added flight and condo and it was the same or close to the price of an AI. I would still choose the condo. I enjoy eating out and feeling like I have the pool/beach to myself. I do miss meeting alot of people at resorts. But, making trips to town and hanging out at bars or restaurants will get my fix on that. If I found the deal of a lifetime on a flight/hotel I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

#35 Parker

Parker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

Coral Princess Hotel & Resort is an oceanfront resort. It is the best choice for families, divers and honeymooners. It is the perfect place for couples who seek intimacy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users