• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PaddiD

PaddiD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

I know there are several tattoo places on the island. Can anyone give a hearty recommendation for one in particular. Looking for: clean, sterile environment... quality work...reasonable price.

#2 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

offir. and tell him you live here and i recommended him to you. incredible artist and has trained many of the guys here.
his studio is the small 2 story place caddy corner from the old la choza, or almost across the street from kelley's bar.
ask for him to do the tattoo. he did mine 11 years ago with a retouch about 6 years ago. does incredible work.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#3 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

I got a tattoo there years ago and it was the most painful experience both during and afterward I have ever experience with a tatoo. EVERYONE told me "don't get a tattoo in Mexico" and they were right. One more day and I was headed to the emergency room. Now...after years gone by and a couple of touch ups....I love it! BTW.....it was a long haired Samoan looking fellow. Nice shop. Bad tattoo. I think he had his needle set WAY TOO deep. The tattoo wanted to come out as a "plug". I still have scar tissue and nerve damage in that spot. Yes, really!

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#4 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

dono, not sure who you had, but offir is a pro and has won awards for his work. mine was done by him before he had an official shop in his apt 11 years ago.
tattoos hurt. i had one done in the states and one here. the level of pain will largely depend on WHERE on your body you are getting the tattoo. ankles, tops of feet, upper and lower back are all painful areas. touchups hurt worse.
my mom, my step mom, and my dad all have tattoos by him. dad's is a picture of a golden retriever on his calf and it is one of the most amazing tattoos of an animal i have ever seen.
the pain is up there, but nothing compared to childbirth.... :)
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#5 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

I have multiple tattoos in varous places. I know what pain to expect. I would not advise a tourist, who may not have the ability to care properly for a tattoo while on vacation, to get one while on vacation in Mexico or anywhere else for hat matter. A tattoo is an open wound.

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

I have multiple tattoos in varous places. I know what pain to expect. I would not advise a tourist, who may not have the ability to care properly for a tattoo while on vacation, to get one while on vacation in Mexico or anywhere else for hat matter. A tattoo is an open wound.

Dono

I am a little chicken. Any advice on a henna tat? Can I get a GIANT Union Jack in color in henna?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

What they call "henna" is actually a God awful black hair dye chemical. Most people don't have bad reactions, but some people have hideous, dangerous skin reactions. These "tattoos" have been outlawed in most tourist paces in the States years back. Henna comes in different shades of brown and wears off rapidly. If people saw medical pictures of what some experience, it is the concentrated chemical used in cheaper brands of black hair dye. Trust me, I tried 12 years ago to get any acceptable alternative and real henna was not accepted, not dark enough and lasted only a few days.

You can get your giant union jack and actually get different colors in henna, but I doubt any shops carry it. The fellow working illegally at Puerta Maya and then downtown ten years ago with an airbrush and paint had a good thing. He did art quality skin painting in full color that lasted a few days. I found it odd that no Mexican copied and took over the technique. If you choose a "temporary black tattoo that is said to be henna" I hope you aren't one of the ones with thousands of dollars in medical bills and left with bad scarring.

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

Great. Now I have to cancel the bicorn hat I ordered. Eh, I didn't want to shave my back anyway.... :unsure:

Charles, can you tell a fun story? Please? With a happy ending? :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#9 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

most folks i know who choose to get a tattoo here do so on their last day. you need to stay out of the ocean for a few days and need to care for it (which is very easy). and don't go there with booze in your system. will just make you bleed more.
problems with getting a tattoo on vacation (no need to say "mexico", i have seen HIDEOUS tattos from the states) is:
1. walking around a lot especially if a tattoo on the legs
2. being in the sun
3. not being cautious and going for a dip
4. drinking

this is what many people do here on their last days. so just plan accordingly. mine got infected from ME walking around in the midday sun all day showing it off and working on my feet in the bar that night. ankle tattoo... one of the most painful areas. little antibiotic and was fine right away.

maybe dono you just had a bad day with whoever you saw. sorry. please though, no need to say don't get one in mexico. it was your experience with a tattoo. same thing could have happened elsewhere. it is too generalized. like me saying don't ever eat ribs in mexico cause i got sick eating them at tony romes. just my humble opinion.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#10 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

I have always wanted a tattoo, but have been too afraid thanks to my needle phobia. About 3 or 4 years ago, as I did every trip to Cozumel, I got a "Black Henna" tattoo on my ankle while I was downtown one night. It didn't take very well, so I had it touched up either the next day or 2 days later. Well, that was my last "tattoo" on the island. I had a nasty reaction that was similar to a burn. Itching, redness, swelling, uncomfortable. A few weeks later when it was completely healed, I guess you could say I got what I always wanted. I have a permanent scar in the shape of the "Black Henna" tattoo that was once there. It's raised and darker than the rest of the skin.

A week after getting that tattoo, while I was still healing from it, I had my regular appointment for a hair cut and color. I had been coloring my hair for years, same stylist, same product. I had a hideous reaction to the dye and ended up in the ER with my face the size of a beach ball and my eyes swollen shut. I don't know if it was related to the henna incident or not, but now I'm afraid to ever have my hair dyed again.

I'm not saying don't get a henna tattoo, just go into it knowing that these things do happen.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

Uggg. Debbie Downer Hotline. Can't even get a henna tatoo even.... :(

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

There is no henna in temporary tattoos. They say henna, but it is not Henna should be safe, not toxic and I have never heard of a skin problem. What is used is one particular chemical hair dye. I don't have my extensive research on this subject handy, but I could locate and identify the chemical most likely involved. Kandy, my guess is your hair coloring used the "bad stuff", it is not just in black. One brand of hair color at San Fransisco de Asis had this chemical in all their products. You'd probably be safe to color your hair, just not with any brand that contained this chemical. And you would want to do a very small test patch to check for a reaction first.

Chief, Just so you know, it is not just my opinion, but I have received comments from others too, your attempts at humor or to add levity to tragic circumstances, (whether it be robbery, scuba deaths or toxic skin reactions from chemicals that should not be allowed) the humor is not always well received. Yes, I know you apologized about it once Maybe people don't share your cent of humor just as some take offense at issues that I choose to address, my comments can fog rose colored glasses. That's is a just so you know, more than one has mentioned it to me privately.

I could tell lots of happy ending stories, besides deleting spam here, that is not the role I choose and I have chosen to say little in months. Many of our new members that have joined recently. Maybe from Scuba Board or TA since the recognition of this site being one of the few with accurate information by and for locals, but of benefit to tourists as well. Some regular contributors to this board have been conspicuously absent due to some changes here. Carey has been busy and is always too much of a lady to not always be polite. We may have gone three steps forward in numbers, but two steps back in participation by long time, well informed individuals. It sure helps to speak and read Spanish.

Happy stories can involve buying villas and condos, holding them under fideicomisos, renting them out over the Internet, even declaring income to the IRS and then making their personal trips as tax deductible and not getting caught by the Mexican SAT. I know one person with a cruise ship deal, the ships handled all the money in International waters, they paid by check for the bogus under reporting of tour income and kicked back all the extra in cash. For years he lost money on his booming business in Mexico, then used that business loss to reduce his IRS taxes on profit making businesses in the States. So besides filling accounts in the Caymans with cash when you still could, he paid no taxes to the IRS nor to SAT and he never got caught!

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

Charles,

You do have great information. Often depressingly negative, but useful. I mean scar tissues from henna tattoos? Who knew? Seriously that is scary.

I would note that had I NOT mentioned the henna tattoo, you wouldn't of had the opening to come in with that depressing info which lead to a productive discussion. Maybe we should team up for public service announcements? I can amuse people by acting happy and dumb about enjoying La Isla and all the great stuff then you can slip in and warn them off of lots of dangerous stuff. Maybe like a Lewis and Martin kind of thing, except I don't sing well.... Think on it... I think you could use me if tax cheats is the best you got for a happy story. Especially if you have people privately telling you they take offense at your opinions. Maybe we can ease into them?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have no interest in tat's, but do appreciate your efforts Charles to inform those who might want a "Henna" tattoo.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#15 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

I appreciate Charles' knowledge and experience and Chief's sense of humor. And who knew about the "henna" tattoos?

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

I appreciate Charles' knowledge and experience and Chief's sense of humor. And who knew about the "henna" tattoos?

Could you edit that? You forgot my good looks! :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

Chief, should I bring down a few sharpies next month? Actually Linda got a tatoo a few years ago and from the location it sounds like the same place. She got it a day or so before we were leaving, kept it covered and had no problems. She got a geco over and under the toes. Said it was painful but not that bad. Think she needs to get it touched up this year.

#18 Neilan

Neilan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

Dont know about the tattoo shops there but a friend of mine is coming to coz with me in the end of April and he is a USA licensed tattoo artist if anyone wants one let me know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users