• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

We plan to buy a 10-12 cup coffee maker and then donate it to our hotel when we leave. I am thinking I will find what I want at the Mega?
Cindy

#2 Guest_Jean McAdam_*

Guest_Jean McAdam_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

You should be able to find one there. We found one a couple of years ago at Chedraui when my son broke the one in the unit.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

why in the world would you donate it to the hotel????

The first person who will find the coffee pot is the maid...if you want the maid to have it, then GIVE it to the maid. Make sure the hotel knows that you are giving her the coffee pot so they don't think she stole it.

What friends of mine have done is to donate it to those who run garage sales that benefit the locals.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

why in the world would you donate it to the hotel????

The first person who will find the coffee pot is the maid...if you want the maid to have it, then GIVE it to the maid. Make sure the hotel knows that you are giving her the coffee pot so they don't think she stole it.

What friends of mine have done is to donate it to those who run garage sales that benefit the locals.

Why not??? I don't want to pack it and take it back on the plane and hopefully other guests will use it while staying at the hotel.

I don't plan on giving it to the maid or leaving it in the room, I will leave it with the front desk.
Cindy

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:08 PM

The few hotels that do not offer coffee pots, folks will go out and spend $20 bucks, then donate it to one of these organizations.

Sorry, I thought you where familiar with the two organizations here that hold garage sales to help children, and recovering adults.

Yes, you can get them for about $20 bucks at Mega or Ched's.

I am sure the desk clerk will be happy to accept your coffee pot.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

The coffe pots sold here are rather terrible. We just bought one a couple of months ago and it leaked all over the counter and was a mess. We finally had some friends bring us a Black and Decker (sp?) down last week. Good luck. I need my java too.

Cozumel Diving

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:26 PM

I also got sick of the junk here, and brought back with me the BEST DARN Coffee Maker in the world.

It is a Cuisinart, and I would die without it.

I found it to be very inexpensive (compared to buying two or three a year here), and the coffee tastes great. You can dial in a mild to strong brew, and also temperature. It has other features, that make the whole coffee brewing experience better.

http://www.amazon.co...65750502&sr=1-1

Anonymous

#8 TiaTia

TiaTia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

Cindy, there are a few places that would love to have your coffeemaker as a donation, rather than "donating" to the hotel.

One is Chrysallis : Cozumel Chrysalis Group

Another is called Esperanza. I'm sure someone with more knowledge can direct you to info and how to contact.

Both serve those in need on Cozumel.

~Tia
Returning to Cozumel soon...

#9 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for the information about the organizations.
Cindy

#10 MexFan2

MexFan2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

I have been looking for a new coffee maker recently and, while I shop at Mega, the coffee maker stock there is very limited. I usually see more variety at Chedraui.

#11 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

Removed by CZMDM.

Cozumel Diving

#12 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

Well, since the coffee makers on the island aren't so good....here's what my sister the-coffee-snob does when she travels. she has a small electric pitcher that boils/heats water. Then she grinds her coffee beans fresh...of course we-who-are-NOT-coffee-snobs won't be packing the grinder! The she uses a little plastic "one cupper" and matching size filter that fits over a cup and pors the heated water into it...works GOOD! and doesn't take up much room in the luggage. We just don't want coffee....we want great coffee.

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

What you are describing is a version of French Press Coffee.

It is quite wonderful, and very, very fresh. (but your description, is not quite to the coffee snob standard)

But, if you would LIKE to be the Coffee Snob, then you can forward the info, or better yet, the French Press makes a wonder birthday present.

You can buy fresh ground coffee beans on the island, as well as whole bean.

All you need is the press, and hot water.

http://www.ehow.com/...ench-press.html

Anonymous

#14 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:45 AM

I bought one at Mega on our last trip for $190 pesos or $19ish USD and it was a perfect little coffee pot. We made 2 pots a day for ten days and had absolutley zero problems with it. It came with a scoop and a reusable filter. We brought our own favorite coffee. The Barracuda dosen't have coffee and Jeanie's gets $2.00 for a small carry out cup. We figured 20 or so pots for $20.00 + coffee was a pretty darn good deal. Plus a friend made sure it was donated to a good cause. Thanks again "friend"! Miss you!!!

Dono & Jerri
It's those changes in latitudes!

#15 diveguy1

diveguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:28 AM

Used a french press for years and put up with the grounds that always remained. Found this device a few years ago and now have one at home and the office.

[url="http://www.aerobie.com/"[/url]

Makes the best cup of coffee and nearly an espresso without requiring a $2000 super-automatic machine.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users