• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:26 AM

There is a posting on Scuba Board in the "accident/incidence " forum.
I do not know how to post links but just passing the info on.
My condolences to the family.

#2 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

http://www.scubaboar...-cozumel-4.html
http://www.scubaboar...dent-today.html

Theses are links to both threads. Lots of speculation over there to weed through.

#3 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

I'm still overdosed from all the speculation from the September "incident". I read what was reported in the newspapers. The more sensationalized "news article" linked, that paper has the least credibility of most all regional papers. I wish people would stop google trans-mangulating reports, especially from a paper that always has scantily clad women all over their covers. Google can make for comical to read in Spanish and then see how it comes out in "English".

I don't dive, but to read Scuba Board, it seems all they do is dive and spend the rest of their life in obsessive speculation. I feel for the family that suffered a tragedy and wish peace for all. Scuba is a sport with given risks, but there isn't a grassy knoll and a pristine bullet behind every casualty. And no, people don't, can't and won't know every detail.

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

especially from a paper that always has scantily clad women all over their covers.

Well, that is all I need to recommend a newspaper! There will all most likely be wrong to some degree or another, so pick the one with scantily clad women I say! B)

I don't dive, but to read Scuba Board, it seems all they do is dive and spend the rest of their life in obsessive speculation.

I have to disagree Charles. On the Coz sub-board of Scubaboard, you will see we spend most of our time talking about eating followed by diving and sleeping in that order I think, inter-spaced with sophomoric humor. :P

Now on the accident board they do NOTHING but talk about why accidents might happen, but hey if that kind of discussion didn't happen, we might all be still driving Pintos.....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

So does anyone know what happened yet?

I have to agree with Charles - the over speculation is the reason I won't make time to read scuba board...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#6 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

This is the most sensible response posted on Scubaboard and ignored by many:
According to a well respected member of the Cozumel Medical community, the person who died was an ex pat living in the Corpus Christi area. From the same source, the victim had a known heart condition and had been warned not to dive. The cause of death was a heart attack.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

That seems to about cover it.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#8 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

So yet another preventable death due to taking unnecessary risk... That sucks...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#9 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

I'd rather go doing something I enjoy, rather than sitting at home staring at four walls waiting for my time. Life's too short to live scared.

Mike

#10 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

Maybe so, but he was warned not to do it.

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

I'd rather go doing something I enjoy, rather than sitting at home staring at four walls waiting for my time. Life's too short to live scared.

Mike

We were discussing whether we would want to go diving or kick off by dying in a nearly finished plate of mole at El Moro and knocking over a empty margarita. You're right Budman, make Death come looking for you....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

I would hope someone would nudge my head on the way down so a perfectly good plate of mole & the margarita would be spared so some one else could enjoy it, while waiting for the meat wagon!! Seems like such a waste :o

Mike

#13 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

Now they are reporting another one.

http://www.scubaboar...ng-cozumel.html

This starting to look like a pattern. Hopefully they get this resolved quickly if they are related.

#14 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

Maybe so, but he was warned not to do it.

I understand perfectly - but, like it or not, we all have just a limited time on earth, and if I have to die in any event, I'd rather go knowing that I at least took my opportunities to live. A doctor can warn you that diving is dangerous, but he cannot order you to stop; the choice is always yours. Nothing a Doctor can do or recommend will make you live forever, the Doctor is basically in the business of stalling for time. If the alternative is sitting at home, living in fear of my next heart attack, and giving up those things that make life worthwhile for the short time that it lasts, well then to hell with my Doctor's recommendation, I'll go diving & take my chances. And, if I do it right, I'll be wearing enough lead weight so that, if I go quickly, I'll save my survivors the cost of a cremation, & bequeath my useless body to feed the fishes.

#15 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

Now they are reporting another one.

http://www.scubaboar...ng-cozumel.html

This starting to look like a pattern. Hopefully they get this resolved quickly if they are related.

Glad my DM now has a CO tester on board....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#16 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

I'd rather go knowing that I at least took my opportunities to live. A doctor can warn you that diving is dangerous, but he cannot order you to stop; the choice is always yours.

Exactly, so if I want to play russian roulette, its only my fault that I lost.

#17 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:22 PM

I'm going with Charles on this one when the accident happened with Opal and the others I trolled sucubaboard just to see if I could gather some details and then it became a monster where it seemed like everyone that posted made them selves sound like the worlds most trained expert diver and some of these post were coming from people who according to the bio only had between 25 and 200 dives they were the worst, I've been diving for 30plus years and don't even think I'm an expert maybe well advanced but I'k still learning. Scubaboard hashed that one to death to the point we talking well if they had this type of BC or this type of fin it might have made a difference I'm sorry don't care what kind of fin you're wearing when you run out of air you're out of air and the most expensive fins in the world aren't going to make a bit of difference.
Breath in Breath out move on

#18 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

Scubaboard hashed that one to death to the point we talking well if they had this type of BC or this type of fin it might have made a difference I'm sorry don't care what kind of fin you're wearing when you run out of air you're out of air and the most expensive fins in the world aren't going to make a bit of difference.

Exactly why i do not read scuba board - too much speculation and so called resident expersts... And another reason why I'm an inactive divemaster - i got sick of the know it alls and the one upsmanshipping...

I just want to have fun diving and respecting the NDC limits

#19 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

Markc I'm with you totally with you I'm also an inactive Divemaster and just love to dive. I went inactive when the shop I was working for started certifying people that could barely complete the skills and some that couldn't even clear their mask and they still certified them it all come sdown to the all mighty dollar. Padt is the worst it's all about the money and not the quality of students coming through. diving is my way to decompress. :P
Breath in Breath out move on

#20 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

was he diving with Aldora?
I'm a fish!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users