10 replies to this topic

#1 pelagic_by_nature

pelagic_by_nature

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Cozumel, Fish, All things aquatic

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

Mrs Pelagic and I will be returning to Coz in a couple of weeks and are thinking about taking a day trip, or maybe an overnight trip to Isla Mujeres. We are wondering if you know of any air service from Coz? Maybe a website with flight times, prices. We would like to avoid the 3 hour taxi/ferry/bus/taxi/ferry route if it isn't too horribly expensive.

#2 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

http://www.maya-air.com/cozumel.html

This is the 'puddle jumper' airline that services Cancun/Cozumel. Flew with them once from Coz to Cancun - took about 15 minutes and cost around $75.00US one way about 3 years ago. Nice SMALL plane, didn't feel afraid at all. Once you got to Cancun, you could arrange transportation to Isla from there. This would be the quickest way I know of.

#3 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

Define horribly expensive : Aerosaab is the only company I know of that offers private charters: http://www.aerosaab....harter-cozumel/ bargained priced for only $582.75 they will fly direct Cozumel to Isla Mujeres, price is the same for one to five people, BUT does not include additional Cozumel airport departure tax of $20 per person.

Mayair is a good option to get to the Cancun airport and their prices have been around $50 each way. There are a couple of companies that you could book transfers from airport to ferry terminal. For about triple the regular cost, if the times work, you could cut the travel time in half. Easiest and cheapest is to take ferry to Playa, take ADO bus to downtown Cancun and then catch a taxi to ferry. It wouldn't be bad if you're spending the night, but a day trip to Isla would be work.

Ferry and then bus to Cancun isn't bad, I just got to hate it myself after about 30-40 trips. The Mayair flight is a scenic flight, I have only flown with them once, but have dozens of trips on the previous puddle jumpers. Maybe go using Mayair for the experience and then return by regular means of bus and ferry.

#4 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

For another option, in Cancun, the # 1 bus goes down Tuluum Av. straight to the Isla Mujeres ferry all day long and you can get it across the street from the bus terminal in town.
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#5 pelagic_by_nature

pelagic_by_nature

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

Looks like Maya Air to CUN and take the ferry from there is the most practical solution. Now I have another question. With the airfare only $50 from CUN to CZM, why does anybody EVER do the bag drag on the ADO and ferry? They're practically the same price. :blink:

#6 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

If Mayair doesn't meet your arrival times well, it was a real toss up one time. Back before the direct from airport bus to Playa and one had to take the shuttle or taxi to downtown Cancun and then take the second/third class bus that stopped every 200 yards, I was so tired after a 30 hour trip, I felt I needed to keep moving. A taxi offered me cheaper than half price fare to downtown Cancun, the third class bus left every 15 minutes and once in Playa, the ferry ran every hour back then in the 1990s.

In answer to your question, why? There are two posters on other forums that claim to love the bag drag trip. One person had a Cozumel to Cancun flight cancelled about 15-20 years ago, he doesn't remember the reason why, but he regards the ferry and bus option to be more of a sure thing. He has never experienced a delay on the highway as I have (going to Cancun, not the airport)where a major accident or a huge military security operation can cause a several hour delay. (How about that world summit conference at the Moon Palace last year, visiting heads of State and International dignitaries backed up traffic for miles.)

The actual cost to the average person is about double to fly vs ferry and bus. If you have local discount ferry plan locale and a Mexico over age 60 half price bus fare, the difference in price is larger. Some people are cheap, some are very frugal with their money.

To me the rational more logical reason to not fly Mayair is a general fear of flying and especially being uncomfortable flying small planes. I had a recreational pilot father who flew as a hobby. I have flown "bush planes" in both South and Central America as well as numerous flights in small planes in Alaska. Mayair uses I believe 20 passenger planes. I worked for a local puddle jumper airline in Alaska, we flew very small three and five passenger planes. I learned that many people had never flown on small planes before and some could be apprehensive, especially in bad weather.

I dealt with flying in to Cancun dozens and dozens of times. Out of all the trips I have made over the years, I have only flown into Cozumel Internationally a half dozen times. My trips did not involve one week vacations, but stays on the island for months or years between trips. I can deal with the bag drag coming to Cozumel, but before living here, I could always arrange my Cancun departures to allow flying to the Cancun airport from Cozumel. I did the bag drag to Cancun for the first time five years ago.

I'm frugal, you could say I am cheap as I watch my budget on annual cost of living, to me, I'd gladly pay double, I'd pay triple to avoid the ferry bus hassle which is easy enough. Over the years, about 95% of my International flights, besides the airfare price being $300-500 dollars more to fly to and from Cozumel directly, the trips often involved multiple layovers. I did pay $350 extra one time for a direct flight to/from Cozumel that the travel time was the same to Cancun.

Mayair has not been charging extra for baggage above their limit of 50lbs, but they will. If you have extra baggage and over weight, that too can add to the cost of flying.

#7 pelagic_by_nature

pelagic_by_nature

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

Thank you Charles

#8 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

A problem with Maya Air -- especially for diver-tourists and residents who've been shopping -- is its 20 kg. luggage-weight allowance. If the plane has capacity, extra weight is accepted for an extra charge but that's a risk and/or expense that many are unwilling to accept.

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:05 PM

Looks like Maya Air to CUN and take the ferry from there is the most practical solution. Now I have another question. With the airfare only $50 from CUN to CZM, why does anybody EVER do the bag drag on the ADO and ferry? They're practically the same price. :blink:

Or you like a nice boat ride with music and beer?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#10 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

Pelagic, I think you are confusing one way prices with round trip. Maybe prices have come down (???) but I understood from other posts on this subject that Maya Air was $75+ one way. The RT bag drag is around $45.

I don't have a problem with the bag drag because as soon as I land and feel the tropical air, I'm on vacation....I'm not in a hurry. Yes, I would prefer to fly direct into and especially out of Cozumel, but the $avings and availability of flights into Cancun have trumped it. Also I often take advantage of it by doing different things, like spending time in Playa or Isla Mujeres when landing in Cancun.

With the airfare only $50 from CUN to CZM, why does anybody EVER do the bag drag on the ADO and ferry? They're practically the same price. :blink:

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#11 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

I paid $48 per person and they were running local promotions for even less, $400 pesos if booked through Lomas Travel with plan locale. When they started service, they said if they had the demand, they would increase the size of the planes, the frequency of departures and they did lower prices. It sure worked out great for us with perfect timing in September. We landed in Cozumel 50 minutes after walking out of customs in Cancun.

There's lots of exceptions and depending on your situation, but Mayair is a now a major option for many while some preach a doom and gloom and try to scare people away from their service. I have heard of people paying between $75 and $90 for round trip is their travel involved some code sharing partners. My $48 dollar price was the full, regular price reserved and paid online two days prior to travel. For most people (tourists) they haven't charged extra for weight, but they made a strong point of telling me that they most likely would the next time.

If you are just going to Cancun for shopping and not an International connection, then the ferry and bus will most likely be a better choice. I just tire of hearing people that try to talk people out of it. It is like they have such an emotional hangup, they take personal offense.

I can deal with dragging the bags from Cancun, been there, done that dozens of times, but every single chance I could I flew to the airport for my return. We used to have half price discount cards for AeroCaribe, for business people only, not the general public. That was sure a blessing and cost saver when we had a bunch of business meetings at the Cancun airport. The wife and I happened to be flying on the day before service ended in 2002 (?). If we had to catch an early morning flight out of Cancun, I never will accept a departure before noon and 2:00PM is better, we'd fly to Cancun and stay the night. When you are dealing with multiple layovers, airline changes and 20 hour plus trip times, every little bit that eases the start the better. When I have to ferry and bus to the airport and still arrive two hours plus before departure, I find it a blessing to depart from Cozumel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users