12 replies to this topic

#1 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

Will be residing on the North Side of Island 4 miles from San Migual for 3 months (no car) are there any decent beaches on the North side of the Island? I understand that one is Playa Azul Beach, is it Public since there is a hotel located there as well. And is there any other close by.

Thanks

#2 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

One of the nicest beaches runs from the El Coz to way north of the Melia, past Country Club Estates. Good beach walking even though the water may be murky at times.

#3 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

How do you access this beach? Through one of the hotels?

#4 callediez

callediez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

Sandy, the north end of Cozumel island around Playa Azul the beaches were man made.

The shore line is very rocky and nearly impossible to enter the ocean.

Playa Azul lost most of its sand from hurricane Wilma.

There is area of public access near the road on the way to Azul and I see people enjoying it.

However I am on vacation for a couple of week and enjoy the good food and cold drinks at beach clubs Azul and buccaneers. There's shade friendly waiters that I can practice speaking Spanish too.

Enjoy your three months.

#5 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

Playa Azul Beach Club is public, but they require you to buy drinks &/or food in exchange for using their facilities. They have a clean restroom, outside shower and a big palapa covered restaurant as well as loungers and umbrellas. It is a sandy entry into the water from there, but also very nice snorkeling along the iron shore in the immediate vicinity.... a nice combination. You can walk north from there for quite a long ways along the shore but take your sandals as there are some rough patches interspersed with sandy stretches.

PA is my go-to beach. Always a little sad though, as it is next to the ruins of Sol Cabanas, a hotel I was very fond of in years past.

Steve has shown in his summer trip reports that if you buy refreshments at the next door Playa Azul Hotel beach bar you can use their facilities as well... they have a pool.

The beach going toward CC Estates is a big hang out for the kite boarders - breathtaking to watch them. Not sure if there are any facilities for the public there, i.e. loungers and umbrellas. But it is a "free" beach. Anywhere you use the facilities will require at least a purchase of food and/or drink.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#6 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

Playa Azul is always a favourite with our family when they visit. Food and service are excellent and they have a nice shower and bathroom area to rinse off...They don;t charge people to enter but expect you to buy a drink or a snack to use the facilities, good loungers and umbrellas. Less crowded than some of the beach clubs in the south of the island. Great salsa dancing on Sunday afternoons!

Bucannos just south of Playa Azul have insisted on charging you at the gate $100 pesos per person to use the facilities...You get a slip to present for a credit at the restaurant or bar. I hope they have posted this so clients are not confused? Nice bathrooms and food is pretty good. They have a nice pool and the beach is great for snorkeling...Watch the currents at both spots!!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#7 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

I just read that Playa Azul is now charging a 50 peso cover charge per person at the entrance that is applied to the food, beverages, etc. As well, I had an excellent breakfast just last week at Buccano's, and they just waved us in, there was no charge at the gate. There doesn't seem to be any consistency on these entrance fees or cover charges, seems to change from week to week.

Valli

#8 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

Ccanon707 is referring to Mike's Beach Bar regarding the kite boarders. I've been told they also ask for an admission fee that is credited to your tab. I think it might be $100 pesos. We can never figure out when Mike is open.

Azul is charging the $50 peso fee on Sunday's during the salsa band (lots of fun).

Buccanos is nice and also charges $100 pesos.

All charges are credited to your tab.

Click on this link for a pdf copy of our beach bar reviews.

http://www.cozumelco...iews-110720.pdf

If you are there for three months, you might find the fees will get waived if you ask nicely.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#9 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

I'm very familiar with the beach clubs north, the best being Buccanos, I think. I just wondered about getting to the beach without going through a club or a hotel, maybe taking a small cooler with one's own refreshments for if you don't want the whole shebang of a club area.

#10 minneSNOWta

minneSNOWta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

Sandy - I have accessed San Juan beach thru Country Club Estates. You can bring your own cooler, chair, etc.
http://i160.photobuc...mcbeachpath.jpg

#11 Saz

Saz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

Sandy

We live up in the North and yes, you can get onto the beach through the Country Club Estates and it is a "free" beach, although you have to bring your own gear - no sun loungers or shades. The beach is beautiful soft white sand but since we have been here (3 months now) the sea has always been murky. It is caused by the mangroves and the concrete pier at El Cozumeleno that blocks the natural current. Since we have been here Mike's Beach Club has NOT been open. And as mentioned watching the kite boarders is awesome, especially when the wind really picks up!

We often just walk down to El Coz to hang out on their beach and snorkel. We have our own Tommy Bahama beach chairs & shade and we take these and camp out on El Coz's beach and the staff have never said anything to us yet. We are aware, of course, that all beach in Mexico is "Federal" for a distance of 20 metres which means that the hotels do NOT own the beach, only the beach chairs, so technically they cannot prevent you from accessing the beach. Now obviously as El Coz is All-Inclusive it means we cannot just purchase drinks & snacks there, so more often now we go as far down as Hotel B or Coral Princess - both of which welcome you (with no cover charge) to use their facilities. Coral Princess has a super Happy Hour 5-6, and the newly refurbished Hotel B is a very tranquil and contemporary place to chill in the sun - lovely double bed loungers, a jacuzzi right out on the rocks, nice little bistro bar. Both Coral Princess & Hotel B have no sandy beach but a sandy lounging area, and provide access into the sea for excellent snorkeling.

We have tried Playa Azul but IMO it is not the best beach spot in the North - often very crowded, beach chairs packed together in military lines, expensive beer ($48 pesos!!!) Just slightly further north of Playa Azul (past the derelict palapa you can see) is a quaint little sandy bay which is great for getting in and out of the sea - it is a fav spot for locals at the weekends. We love it though as we like kicking back our heels and soaking up the Mexican vibe surrounded by local families enjoying themselves.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace! Jimmi Hendrix

#12 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the info. I just didn't want to get tossed out of some hotel on my keester! Plaza Azul used to be our favorite before Wilma really wreched havoc with their beach. It's nice to know CP and Hotel B are so accommodating and also about the access via CC estates. We'll definitely have to check out the north end once again.

#13 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

I'm hoping CP changed their policy recently. They would not allow us to use their facilities the last time we tried, even though we had been there many times before and always bought drinks and tipped well. This was when Hotel B was still the Fontan. We did use Fontan's facilities, and happily spent our money there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users