Photo

La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces ;O)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: La Terraza *New Place To Eat* With A Lot Of Old Faces ;O) (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you be going to La Terraza on your next visit?

1. Yes (15 votes [78.95%])

Percentage of vote: 78.95%

2. No (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

3. Maybe (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

La Terraza

New restaurant is going to be opening next week in the old downtown Prima location called The Terrace. I ran in to Julian's brother at Kellys and he said that his brother and the whole family is renting that location and was there cleaning up and getting ready for the grand opening. So Michelle and I walked over and sure enough alot of prep work was going on. Julian and Erica were the managers of the old Pizza Prima after Juan Carlos left to run his parents school here on the island. As many of you know Erica left Albert after working for a while at the now defunct Winstons (Prima II) on top of Cantil. One of the head chefs , Javier, also went with her and they created La Herradura! Well, Julian has now gone his own way and has taken a few of the old Prima waitstaff with him as well as two of the old Prima chefs. He told me that the menu will be about the same as Prima's with a few twists. Of course we all know that what made the downtown Prima location so nice was the open air atmosphere and relatively cheep prices (compared to what they are now at Prima II). I wish Julian all the best and cannot wait for the grand opening. From what I could see the restrooms are brand new and clean, the paint has been touched up, and both the kitchen and dining areas are immaculate...which must have taken alot of hard work as nothing has been in that location since 2005 or 2006.

I am so happy that there will be another option to dine in the downtown area, and even more happy for those who chose to go it on their own after spending so long working at Prima (18 years there for Julian). Surely if Erica and Javier are any indication of the level of service and attention to quality food and detail....I just know Julian will follow their lead and succeed in turning La Terazza into what Prima used to be, a place where you knew everyone by name and where they knew you no matter how long it was since your last visit!

Be sure to stop by after they are open I know we will be regular fixtures.

Mikes

#2 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

This is a great news! Can`t wait. So when next week are they opening?

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

AB FAB...

Julian and Erica are the BEST! Great location (always was)!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 henribos

henribos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:snorkeling, golf, reading, cooking

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

Opening today, Tuesday, November 22.

#5 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

This is very good news. I really liked Pasta Prima, and yes, a big draw was the atmosphere, sitting up on the Terrace, watching the people pass by. Do you happen to know if they'll be offering the Amazing Blue Cheese Salad? That was a real favorite of mine at Pasta Prima. A YES will get me to confirm that I'll definitely stop by between December 1 and 8 when I'm down.

#6 DiverDown

DiverDown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

Sounds great, but I've only been a Cozaholic for a couple years, and not familiar with the Old Prima location, where is it located? I'll be back soon, and would love to try it.

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:49 PM

Can't wait to try it! Love Julian and couldn't believe it when he left Prima's.

The location is Calle 1 at the corner of Avenida 5. It's on the second floor. The entrance is on Calle 1.

We wish Julian and everyone else all the best! We'll probably be giving it a try next week. Give us a report on the food someone!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#8 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

We went last night. The food was fabulous and prices were reasonable. Service was a little slow, but much better than I expected given that it was opening night. I suspect that it will get better quickly.

#9 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Please share with us what you ate and the cost of dinner.

Valli

#10 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

A gentle correction to Kandy's post, it is AR Salas and 5th avenue for those not familiar with long time Cozumel locations. Salas is the main east bound street along the south side of the pedestrian plaza. Back in the old daze, when there was a vibrate economy downtown, there often would be a line waiting for tables downstairs. Albert might send down bread, snacks and drinks for those waiting. The one thing about the downturn in the economy, it is rare to need reservations and virtually never waiting for a table in restaurants. I wonder how many will make it to and then through "high season" and how long some quality places can continue to hold on.

#11 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

Sorry for that slight error. Thanks for the correction Charles.

Kandy

#12 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Went for dinner with friends last night and it was great! As you can see from the pictures below the layout is much more open...and the food/ menu is still a winner.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Any idea what their hours are?

#14 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

Just got back from an evening at La Terraza. For my friends on the island and those planning to visit... LA TERRAZA IS A MUST FOR LOCAL RESTAURANTS! They just opened on Tuesday. Great service, nice ambiance (outdoor rooftop with wonderful breeze), and the food is excellent! We will definitely go back. Julian, we wish you all the success possible. You have put together a great staff and have created what I think will be a new tradition for people. Bravo!

I had a Spinach Salad, the Lobster Fettucini Alfredo with vegetables (I swear there had to be 6-8 oz. of lobster in the dish), and shared a slice of blueberry cheesecake. My husband had the Spinach Salad, Crab Stuffed Shrimp, and shared my cheesecake. We each had a cocktail before dinner. The portions are huge - half of mine came home with me. The total bill was $747 pesos which I think was very reasonable for what we had. At today's exchange rate, that is about $53 USD.

I highly recommend you give them a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Kandy

#15 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

We finally made it to Terraza, on Wednesday. Us, two locals and our friends, almost locals as they come every winter for 2 months.
What a delight our evening was. Our dinner was superb, we had lasagna and it was just what we remember it to be way back when, so delicious. We also had a filet mignon au poivre, cooked to perfection, tender and delicious. Going back there brought back a lot a good memory, of friendly service and genuine smiles.
Cant wait to go back :)

#16 VermontJ

VermontJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

My wife and I just returned from 2 weeks in CZM. We had dinner twice at La Terraza. Every dish that was ordered was excellent and the food was similar to what it used to be like at Primas. This restuarant is one of three that we liked on this trip. The other two are Albinos and El Moros.

#17 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

NOW we're on the same page, VermontJ!!!! La Terraza, El Moro, and Albino's.... ALL excellent choices. My mouth is watering now. Dangit!

Kandy

#18 pedro the gringo

pedro the gringo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

I'll be in town in a few weeks and look forward to trying La Terraza. Can anyone confirm that La Veranda has closed? Also, are there any other notable seafood eateries off the beaten path besides San Carlos Pescaderia?

#19 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

La Veranda has indeed closed, although it is available for functions - weddings, large parties etc. I had heard that they were thinking of re-opening for high season, but I don't think that that has happened.

The other seafood place that is often mentioned is La Perlita which is somewhere around Ave 70 and Calle 6. See the posting "lionfish is delish"

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Went with friends the other night for dinner...EXCELLENT FOOD, AND SERVICE.

Of course, will be back.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users