2 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

Of course, it's no longer under warranty. And, yes, I've tried unplugging it and leaving open for 24 hours. Next step, get in some one who knows what they're doing.

Anyone know such a person? Suggestions would be most welcome. Fridge works fine and so does freezer but the freezer ices up.

#2 ScubaJim

ScubaJim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Without looking at it, I would say it was the defrost timer.
So here's what you do.
1.Pull the frig away from the wall.
2.At the back of the frig toward the bottom there is a small plastic shaft sticking out by it self or a small hole about 3/8 - 1/2 of an inch wide with a slot at the end of the shaft that a screw driver will turn.
3. Turn that control a full turn or so.
4. If it starts working again. Great!
5. If it does the same thing again the next day or so.
6. Replace the defrost timer. Almost any brand will do and they are cheap.
Warning: If you do need to replace the defrost timer, make sure you unplug the frig first.

This is a very common problem, especially in high humidity areas. Basically it is just a 24 hour timer/clock and the small motor in it sticks.

ScubaJim

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for the tip, Scuba J, AJ is on Kauai right now but I think I can push that motha out a bit by myself and see if I can find that little screw hole. If not, I'll tell my electrician about it in case he doesn't already know those tricks.

Appreciate the input and will report if it works on a Korean ?? manufactured Daewood brand distributed and sold in Mexico.

Reassuring to know it's probably an easy problem to fix and a common one in the tropics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users