• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Weightless

Weightless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

I will be living in Cozumel from mid January through end of April. Looking for a bicycle to get around. Need small frame woman's bike. Please let me know if you know of any for sale thanks

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

Sam's had some nice ones hanging up out in front of the store last week when I was there. Prices actually seemed pretty reasonable.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

they are cheap, but also not of very good construction. for short term, they could work, but will likely rust quickly. we just started carrying fuji bikes and there are some very nice ladies' bikes. the inventory is kind of limited but if you come by the store, you can see what is available right away. delivery within 2 weeks or so of order. these will be of great construction, aluminum, some are cruiser with pedal-back brake, others regular breaks, low step etc.
since we often have people in the store looking for bikes, resell of it can be an option in the store too. just a thought. catalog is in the store.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

I am also in the market for a new bicycle, as mine has rusted terribly and I have had to do some minor repairs the last few visits. I would be more than happy to donate my current bike to someone in need. I would prefer an aluminum one, but simple - no requirement for the bells and whistles, just would require a front basket and comfortable seat and I guess a light if the new law is enforced effective Dec.1st. I was thinking I would have to go to Playa, but if you stock them, that would save a trip. Can you give me a ball park re: prices for a lady's bike? It would mostly be used for getting about in town, errands, etc. I will be down in a few weeks and will stop in the store as well. Thanks.

Valli

#5 Weightless

Weightless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

they are cheap, but also not of very good construction. for short term, they could work, but will likely rust quickly. we just started carrying fuji bikes and there are some very nice ladies' bikes. the inventory is kind of limited but if you come by the store, you can see what is available right away. delivery within 2 weeks or so of order. these will be of great construction, aluminum, some are cruiser with pedal-back brake, others regular breaks, low step etc.
since we often have people in the store looking for bikes, resell of it can be an option in the store too. just a thought. catalog is in the store.

#6 Weightless

Weightless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

I am also in the market for a new bicycle, as mine has rusted terribly and I have had to do some minor repairs the last few visits. I would be more than happy to donate my current bike to someone in need. I would prefer an aluminum one, but simple - no requirement for the bells and whistles, just would require a front basket and comfortable seat and I guess a light if the new law is enforced effective Dec.1st. I was thinking I would have to go to Playa, but if you stock them, that would save a trip. Can you give me a ball park re: prices for a lady's bike? It would mostly be used for getting about in town, errands, etc. I will be down in a few weeks and will stop in the store as well. Thanks.

#7 Weightless

Weightless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

Sam's had some nice ones hanging up out in front of the store last week when I was there. Prices actually seemed pretty reasonable.

Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated

#8 Saz

Saz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Nauticab,

Are you stocking bike lights? We bought some in Playa but they never worked, and now I read that you should have bike lights from Dec 1st.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace! Jimmi Hendrix

#9 Saz

Saz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

Also, Nauticab, do you stock bicycle pedometers by any chance?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace! Jimmi Hendrix

#10 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

we carry bike computers and we will be getting bike lights.
www.fujibikes.com
the MSRP on the website is pretty close to what we have here.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#11 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:39 AM

I am also in the market for 2 bikes (Jan to Apr). I noticed a price was asked for an aluminum type bike and none was given. Also is a cheap bike ok for 3 months, I understand rust is an issue but for a short period? Then I could just sell the bikes when leaving Coz?

Thanks

#12 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

The prices on the cheap bikes at Sam's were $200 USD or less.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#13 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

Nauticab,

Not that I need any right now as I have brought supplies down with me, but it would be nice to know I can get things locally. How about "naked" shifter and brake cables, 26" x 1.75" MTB tubes and chain lube?

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#14 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

we can get them. just swing by the store and order... i can have them within a week or so.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:22 AM

I may be in the market for a women's cruiser bike with back pedal brakes and high handlebars, Nauticab. I'll be in touch after the Holiday Madness that is fixin' to erupt gets over.

By the way, the poster who mentioned rust? If it's not solid aluminum or top level marine grade stainless steel (now that would make a heavy bike) your bike will rust so fast that unpainted tire guards will look like someone covered them in chocolate icing after 3 months. And handlebars and the like will be pock-marked with rust. This is EVEN if you store it inside so don't bother -- just out of the sun so that seat doesn't get cracked. (I put a pillow case over my seat which I pin behind with a clothespin. Adds to the ghetto effect and makes it less attractive as an object of a thief's desire. The rust helps too.)

That is very good advice from Laura also about not mounting any fancy accessories on any bike you're planning to leave locked up on the street for longer than about 3 minutes unless you're prepared to take them with you when you go in shops, etc. If it's easy to take off, you're going to lose it the first time you turn your head for long enough.

#16 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

Recently heard from a couple of friends of mine who went to Sam's (in Cozumel) to check out some bicycles. They now have some aluminum ones ranging in price from approximately 1600 pesos to 3000 pesos. Don't know about the styles or selection, but if all you want is something fairly basic, this could be a good option.

Valli

#17 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

The Fuji's that nauticab will have available look like nice bikes. She said her pricing should be close to waht the Fuji catalog states, which for a single speed cruiser looks in the $370-$400 range.

When we were looking for bikes, never could find anything on the island or Playa that was in stock that we could pick up while there. Ended up buying a couple of aluminum single speed cruisers for just under $100/ea. & brought them down on Continental. Was able to fit both bikes in their bike box & still be under the weight limit. Had anticipated getting charge $200 baggage fee, but they only charged me $100, so I was able to get both bikes down their for $300 total. The saddle is very comfortable & they seem fairly well built for that inexpensive of a bike.

Mike
Picture of them in link.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users