20 replies to this topic

#1 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

I had this posted on another site and was advised Moviestar is a good place to purchase a cell phone. I will be in Coz for 3 months (Jan to Apr) and would like to purchase a pay as you go cell phone (cheap) obviously for local calls but if reasonable enough a call or two back to Canada. As stated above apparantly Moviestar sells resonably priced phones and time, any suggestions, and prices.

Thank You

#2 QueenAngel

QueenAngel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

You will need a CURP number to buy a cell phone.

#3 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

I think you are mistaken you do not need a CURP number to buy or register a cell phone. Passport will do, just had some friends do it and my phone was done the same way before I had the number.

My pick would be telcel not a fan of movistar you should be able to get a phone for 350 pesos with about that much credit on it so all in all the phone is free.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:03 AM

Passport registration system does work now, it didn't most of the first six months of the new law which still has not achieved desired results. CURP is easier.

Be careful which you chose as movistar is gimmick, works for some people, but since they closed about 85% of their locations, obviously not many. It has cheaper prices for longer calls to the States or Canada, but higher minimum charges for short calls or some one's mailbox. Not the best plan for most people, but could work for some. My guess would be about 98% plus choose Telcel for local and get other means of calling International.

#5 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:55 AM

Charles is corrert with his reply......

Movistar has an outlet on ARS in front of the market...., most of my friends use TELCEL, cheap($300mx) to High $ phones, several different plans, + pay as you go....., I use less than $100 mx per month, my wife with her job uses a BB for state/nation wide phone, internet(e-mail), limited texting and spends +/- $450 mx a month. On a recent trip to the states, we used our TELCEL phones with no trouble for texting each other within the states and some short call back to Mexico.

T.

#6 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

Agree with Charles and Traveler89 - I had to replace my cell in September, went to the TelCel, purchased the cheapest one - it is an LG, does everything I need it to do - it was 300 pesos, and came with a 100 peso credit.If you want to make international calls and have a computer, SKYPE and MagicJack are good options. Have used them both in Mexico with no problems. The Internet places also have reasonable rates for calls to the US and Canada.

Valli

#7 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:08 AM

Agree with Charles and Traveler89 - I had to replace my cell in September, went to the TelCel, purchased the cheapest one - it is an LG, does everything I need it to do - it was 300 pesos, and came with a 100 peso credit.If you want to make international calls and have a computer, SKYPE and MagicJack are good options. Have used them both in Mexico with no problems. The Internet places also have reasonable rates for calls to the US and Canada.

Thanks for the information. The individual I am renting from can set me up with a local cell phone for $35 US a month with 100 minutes pre loaded minutes and I have to pay if additional minutes are required. I thought this was pricey for 3 months. If I can pick up a local cell phone for the price (300 Pesos) you mentioned I would be better off? Do you have an address or location for TelCel?

Thanks

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:21 AM

I bought mine in the downstairs of Mega. There is a shop there.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#9 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

I bought mine at the main store on Calle 2 between Avenida 5 and 10. It's on the North side of the street. Minimal English spoken if any.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#10 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

Buying a cell for 300 pesos is already less than the 35 US a month the owner of the rental is charging. No need to put out that kind of money. You can purchase extra phone cards at the TelCel, or just go into any OXXO, Chedraui, or Mega and they can add the time for you if required. I think they will take increments of 30, 50, 100, 200 or 500 pesos. I also went to the main store to purchase my new cell and was pleased with the service. An inexpensive phone will likely fully suit your requirements. There are also at least a couple of TelCel outlets on 30th.

Valli

#11 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

I bought mine at the main store on Calle 2 between Avenida 5 and 10. It's on the North side of the street. Minimal English spoken if any.

This is the store we went to with our old phone when the curp #'s came about. I did my best in spanglish and they did their best english and somehow our phone still works after they did something and I filled out the paperwork lol. Even gave my little girl a cookie while we were waiting ;o) Gotta love the friendly people in San Miguel!

Getting a cell phone should be as easy as 1 2 3 for ya ISS96

#12 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

This is the store we went to with our old phone when the curp #'s came about. I did my best in spanglish and they did their best english and somehow our phone still works after they did something and I filled out the paperwork lol. Even gave my little girl a cookie while we were waiting ;o) Gotta love the friendly people in San Miguel!

Getting a cell phone should be as easy as 1 2 3 for ya ISS96

Thanks for your and all responses I certainly will take your advise and purchase a phone.

#13 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:54 AM

telcel also has a special u can register for calling the states and Canada. It is like 7 pesos for 15 min at a time. Also u can register 10 local cell # that u can call free, or like 1 peso.

#14 Sheila

Sheila

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Charles is corrert with his reply......

Movistar has an outlet on ARS in front of the market...., most of my friends use TELCEL, cheap($300mx) to High $ phones, several different plans, + pay as you go....., I use less than $100 mx per month, my wife with her job uses a BB for state/nation wide phone, internet(e-mail), limited texting and spends +/- $450 mx a month. On a recent trip to the states, we used our TELCEL phones with no trouble for texting each other within the states and some short call back to Mexico.

T.

I don't understand what is a BB you spoke of your wife has? Also is what she has with a contract? we will be in Coz for a month next year and we were thinking pay as you go since internet seems to be where you can go to internet cafes as well as our apartment is suppose to have some sort of internet service(I know not to rely on that) So we know we need multiple options for getting in touch with home while we are there. Please if there is any website or more info you can give on these prepaid phones. You say you use 100mx a month, so 100 pesos? for how many minutes a month is that?

Anyones help in some pricing on minutes versus pesos would be great for calling back to the states.

#15 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

For only a month, you can use a VOiP system, such as Skype, which is very inexpensive but computer based -- you need a computer with microphone & speakers or a headset.

If you prefer a portable phone, a Telcel Amigo prepaid phone would be the way to go but you would have to abandon your investment when you leave Mexico. Amigo packages start at approx. 400 pesos, which includes a phone & charger, SIM card/telehpone number, and a little bit of credit to get you started.

If you can arrange for your foreign contacts to initiate calls, receiving calls in Mexico is free -- you wouldn't need to worry about putting much credit into your phone. Within MX, most people text, which is cheaper than voice calls. But local calls are pretty inexpensive (a little over 1 peso/minute) to make. Unless you have long conversations, 100 pesos will last quite a while.

Telcel has recently lowered Amigo rates. There is a plan called "Amigo Plus", which costs 4 pesos/minute for calls to the USA & Canada. 4 pesos is approximately 32 cents at average exchange rate of 12.5mxn/1usd -- well below what US international cell plans charge.

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

If you have a smartphone at home, put skype on it and talk from wifi. Tons of places have free wifi. The wife video-called me from El Fish just the other day. The connection was good enough to make me REALLY wish I was there.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

My wife is getting along very well with a TelCel SIM in her smartphone. She doesn't really phone home all that often (we're in the midst of switching the house telephone from Telmex to Cablemas and don't have an unlimited US/Canada plan yet). It's cheap and easily topped up. We bought the 3GB 30-day data plan of which she's used about 25% in over 3 weeks.

Between free WiFi and a cheap TelCel SIM for an existing unlocked GSM phone or an inexpensive TelCel burner phone, comms is fairly easy and inexpensive. It's also easy to top up online or by popping into nearly any convenience store (Oxxo will have the credit on your phone in seconds with no cards to scratch or numbers to enter).

#18 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

If you have a smartphone at home, put skype on it and talk from wifi. Tons of places have free wifi. The wife video-called me from El Fish just the other day. The connection was good enough to make me REALLY wish I was there.

This option worked very well for me calling home. I have Skype on my iPhone. The WiFi can be spotty at my budget hotel, so I just walk down to WWendy's, sit in the back and call.

I'm surprised you could hear your wife in El Fish, Chief. The acoustics in that place combined with music.... :blink: I like the location and happy hour with the botanas, but often my companions and I are almost shouting to have a conversation.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#19 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

I can get loud. I could hear them, but I was staring down her ear canal while she tried to hear me! And the place only had a few people in it at the time.

RANT ON: By the way, if you don't, WRITE down the wifi passwords. I found out since I switched to the #$%#$ iphone that it doesn't save wifi and email passwords. Twice now on warranty replacements, I lost all my wifi passwords. The old BB, yea just plug it in and tell it to move it all to the new one.... *RANT OFF

First time we were going to La Perlita for lunch I couldn't remember where it was. Pulled to the curb by El Fish, logged in and looked it up from the car!

Supposed to be a muni wifi coming to the downtown I think, too.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#20 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

So I want to try to understand this. I use a Droid X (Verizon) in the states. Can I buy a pay as I go SIM card for it for phone and texting to use in Cozumel? Don't really care about data as I can wifi surf anywhere.

Next, does using the new SIM card erase all my contacts? I have almost 3000 and I'd like to know they stay intact.

I was going to finally buy a pay as you go, but if my droid works simply by switching out cards, that would be perfect. Don't really care about calling the US as I can do that in the condo.

Thanks.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users