8 replies to this topic

#1 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

Just a couple questions. Can anyone tell me a good local dive Op which is reasonably priced even for just a one tank dive. I will be in Coz for 3 months and plan on doing a bit of diving. I am not looking for deep dives (30-70 ft). Can anyone tell me where I can dive for a reasonable pice? Is diving on Sunday's cheaper since there are no Cruise Ships? Also is there a local Dive Op where I can do a shore entry to get wet and practise the skills?

Thanks

#2 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

Small groups and EXCELLENT service:

Dive with Martin - thats the only operator i use right now...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#3 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

For shallower depths and one tank you are probably going to need to get hooked up with an op on an afternoon dive. Aqua Safari runs afternoon dives most days from their pier right in town. They can give you a refresher course if that is what you are looking for too. While I do not dive with them still they are a very good op, very safe and reasonably priced.

#4 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

I've always been happy with Pancho's Diving Adventures (http://www.panchodiv....com/index.html). Pancho has done 'shore' dives as refreshers for some of my friends at the 'paridise reef' at the end of the Caleta Marina road.

#5 diverhorn

diverhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

We always dive with Blue Angel - next to the Caribe Blu Hotel. They have one tank afternoon dives and offer a convenient shore dive for a real shallow - 12 - 25 ft. "check out" dive. Papa Hog will also rent you a tank for a shallow "check out" dive from thier facility.

#6 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

you might be surprised next time you try to get to paradise reef from from the end of the marina road. It is now fenced off and they are digging areas that look like new boat parking type segments. My hope is that they do not destroy paradise reef. Does anybody know the best way to get there now? We were there looking at the fence friday the 2nd of Dec.

#7 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

They sure have a lot of bad reviews??

#8 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Just a thought - Pricing should never be the first (or second or third) consideration in choosing a dive operator. No. 1 on my list is "will they bring me back safely?" Nos. 2, 3, 4 are matters on which there is room for disagreement based on personal preference. I like the small fast boats, no more than 6 or 7 divers in the water with a Divemaster. Others like the social aspect of the big boats - that's a perfectly acceptable preference, it just isn't mine. I like an operator where everyone dives computers - longer bottom times. I like an operator that will give me the high pressure steel tanks (Aldora & one other I cannot think of right now are the only ones on the Island that offer this); I like having the extra air of a steel 120, and (as a fat diver), I really like the bouyancy characteristics of steel tanks; others (mostly the skinny types who can get underwater with 2 or 3 pounds of lead) really like the aluminum tanks and would not pay the extra cost for steel. I like an operator who does a longer surface interval on the shore - more time to outgas means longer & safer second dives. Is the operator convenient to where I'm staying? Will I need to take a cab to the Dive Pier both ways, or can I walk there & walk back? You'll find a lot of divers highly recommending a dive operator that they've been "diving with for years", but if you dig deeper it just might be because they've been staying at the same place for years, and it was simply inconvenient to try other dive ops. Saving $10 a day on a 2-tank dive, while spending $16 in cab fares to get to & from the operators pier just doesn't make sense. But that's OK, if you trust & like the operator, and it's convenient, why change? As to the first consideration, safety, there are maybe a hundred operators on the Island & only 2 or 3 I would disqualify based upon their history. Almost all are safe enough to trust; is having O2 on the boat, a CO Analyzer that's used on all the tanks & other extra safety features worth it to you for the extra you might have to pay? I'm risk averse, so I'll readily pay extra for an outfit and a crew that I know can handle any emergency. But if you are an experienced, well trained diver that always dives well within your limits, I won't fault you for deciding otherwise. So maybe after figuring out what you want, and narrowing the list to three or four operators, then you consider price. But frankly, in my experience, there just isn't enough difference in price among operators on Cozumel to make that much of an issue. That having been said, I like Aldora (which is probably among the pricier operators, but worth it to me), and I trust and will use Dive with Martin. There are probably another 40 or 50 operators that others will recommend, but I have no personal experience with them. But asking for a "reasonably priced" dive op recommendation strikes me as a bit of misplaced priorities. Tell us just what you want in a dive operator, and maybe where you are staying, then, after narrowing the field a bit with 3 or 4 possibilities, maybe you can ask for recommendations to choose among them. BTW, most operators that I have knowledge of will offer an afternoon 1-tank dive if there is enough interest - at least 4-6 people to cover the cost of the boat ride. If not, you might have to settle for a shore dive.

#9 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

IMO, why settle for 1-tank afternoons? Why not take 2-tank morning trips, which are usually much nicer and more satisfying? Just go less frequently if you're concerned about the budget. Then you can fill in with shallow shore dives (if you have a buddy). There's no need to go below 70' at most sites, so your depth parameters can be met. If you have a relationship with an op here and you'd like to continue diving with them, then speak with the owner or manager about what you're looking for and see if your needs can be accommodated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users