• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

Hello, I will be back for a 2nd visit May 15 - 22, it will be my husband and I and our 12 year old son. I was hoping to find unusual ideas/activites (that do no cost an arm and a leg)that we can do when we visit. For example we did the swim with the stingrays and plan to do the Surfing Lessons and Spearfishing lessons, however, I would like to add some activites that do not feel touristy, things or places the locals may visit. I missed Sunday evening on the pier last time so definitley plan on doig that. We will again be renting a car from Isis.

Thans for all your help!

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

wind surfing at la caletita, the little beach about 1 block north of Airport Blvd in downtown. Chucho (ChOO-cho) is the young man to see about rentals and there are lots of kids practicing every afternoon from around 3 PM until near to dark. Definitely not a big tourist activity. It's for the local kids but they'll let you rent a board and try your hand.

Sunday night music and dancing is not on the pier, by the way. It's close to the pier in San Miguel main plaza at the gazebo near the clock tower. half block from the passenger ferry pier.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

well, not to unusual, but with a 12 year old...how about Miniature Golf.

It could be a lot of fun if you have hidden a squirt gun in your bag!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

just to note, wind surfing lessons are extremely expensive.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

Chuco told me he'd charge me the price of a pollo -- so about 70 pesos--for a lesson. I think you might be thinking of the kiteboarding lessons up north of the nothern hotel zone.

#6 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:54 PM

Ask him if that is for everyone...My Grand daughter is interested...would be willing to pay more than a Pollo's woth..lol...but I can't afford what Adrian and the place up north charges.

#7 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:49 AM

Wow thanks to everyone, I will definitely visit Chucho and will give him a really big tip! Luv the water pistol idea, where is the miniature golf located?

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

The Mini Golf is at the corner of Ave 15 and Juarez.

There is another thing you might consider and that is the Adventure Park, Zip-Line and Snorkeling Combo.

Just type into Google "Climbing Adventure Park, Cozumel" and you can find out more about it. It is quite an activity and the cost is $70 for adults, and children are $60.

Not cheap, but it is jammed packed with interesting activities.

Also, there is The Cozumel Scavenger Hunt. (It has nothing to do with the Hunt the cruise ships run)

Again, just Google "Cozumel Scavenger Hunt" and the description, and costs will come up.

Of course, check out the Museum first. It will give so much history of the island, plus they have a wonderful Mayan exhibit with a real person who interacts with you.

Enjoy

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

I should add that Chucho doesn't speak any English. So get ready for some point and grunt and you might want to look up a key phrase or two before the trip.

I was over there watching one day and I saw what looked like a pair of German tourists, two guys, go out with the wind surfer equipment which they had obviously rented and probably at a pretty good price. They weren't taking lessons but there were Mexican kids hanging around in the water with them giving them tips in Spanish and with pantomime. While I watched they took turns trying to get up and stay up on the board and were still falling over when I left. But it looked like good exercise. And def a fun intercultural experience for kiddos which is why I mentioned it. Lot of 12's and up out there practicing every afternoon.

#10 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

Could you tell me about the stingray experience?
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:36 AM

It is my understanding that they have REMOVED the stingers from the stingrays. I wondered because I read an article in El Semanario last month that mentioned that the sting rays couldn't sting and I'm going, hm, then why do they call them stingrays so maybe they're eagle rays actually. But according to my sources, these are stingrays that have had the stinger surgically removed. Seems kind of cruel and weird to me but maybe my info isn't correct.

#12 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

According to the Stingray Encounter website, they did indeed remove the stingers. Poor things, it's like declawing an outdoor cat. These are captive rays, unlike those of Stingray City in Cayman Islands, which are wild and intact but pose no problem and frequent the site on their own. I read where other places have tried to entice wild stingrays in hopes of replicating the Cayman experience, but the rays all leave unless they're captive.

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hey, how about something that is really differenet...Leo The Spear fishermen.

For my husbands birthday, I had Leo take him out and it was really a unique experience. I was able to go along as well, and just dangle my feet in the water, and catch some rays!

http://www.spearfishingtoday.com/

Anonymous

#14 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

About the Stingray experience, my 12 yr old son went alone (I was afraid;) He spent 1/2 hour feeding the rays and then an hour swimming with them. I could not take pictures of him while feeding but they take pics and then sell them to you..no problem as they did allow him to tkae underwater shots once he went swimming with them. It only cost $35 for children and he cannot wiat to go back and do it again. He also was able to pick up starfish and hold the stingrays as he was learing all about there habitat and lifecycle. He wnats to do it agina when we return. I thought it was really money well spent, they may remove the stingers but they are captive and if it entices children and adults to care more about the ocean and its inhabitants I think it is worth it, but that is just my opinion. Pics attached

#15 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

My opinion is that the captive stingrays and dolphins are a cruel activity. How would YOU like to be captured in a cruel way (you should see videos of this), held captive, had your stinger removed (rays), forced to interact with humans (dolphins) all the while being able to see freedom through the SMALL cage you are being held prisoner in? You can educate through documentaries etc. That's my opinion.

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

Boy, some unique stuff to do here...I'll have to try some of these!

Anonymous

#17 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:45 AM

No, it is worse than declawing a cat. These rays no longer have ANY way of protecting themselves and will die in captivity here, or will be eaten by sharks if they are released. I feel there is no reason to have such a "tourist experience" - these rays are beautiful as they glide through the water and are important in the balace of nature. I wish I could put the money hungry guy that owns this in a cage underwater and let the tourists go harass him. It is embarrassing for Cozumel to host such an exhibit and it should stop!
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#18 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

I agree. I hate to see these animals caged. It makes me feel sick when I hear people tell thier tales of swimming with this or that on thier Disney cruise vacation or wherever. Go swim in the ocean along the iron shore or out at a coral head and see the critters in thier natural homes. These activities seem like something to do for folks that go to the ocean on vacation, but really don't want to get in the ocean. Sorry about getting on a rant, but it bothers me.

Sam

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

So, who is doing what on there vacation?

Would love to have a trip report, and pics....

Anonymous

#20 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

My husband son and I are going to go Surfing w/ Nacho on Sunday 16th, and spearfishing with Leo on Wed the 19th cooking the fish after, I think we will get the all park pass for $35 as we will be there for 7 days. I will post pics and opinions once we return.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions/insights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users