Unusual activites

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:11 AM

Don't know how "unique" it is, but on one of my early visits to Cozumel, my wife and I did the Punta Sur park tour. It was actually quite enjoyable. You get to stop and see the El Caracol lighthouse, which is a neat little Mayan ruin, a bunch of salt water crocodiles (not captive!), and then chill on the beach there, which was very nice. On the beach, you can hire a gentleman to paddle you out to the small, but very colorful and active reefs there. In addition, you stop at the modern lighthouse at Punta Sur, where you can climb to the top and get a bird's eye view of the island. I would say definitely worth the time and money. On the way out, stop at the Freedom in Paradise bar (aka the Bob Marley bar) and have a cold one. A day well-spent on the island, IMHO.

FWIW - I agree that the captive "Swim with the _______" experience is cruel and crass, especially when it's so easy and so much more authentic to see these creatures in their natural habitat, where they belong.

#22 cozumelbound

cozumelbound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

Does anyone have confirmation that the ray stingers are surgically removed? They only state that they are "cropped" on the website. I have seen rays in touch pools at aquariums in the States and their stingers are simply trimmed back like a fingernail. They grow back and have to be trimmed again from time to time. Surgical removal is much more difficult and unnecessary and I'd be interested to know what method this place employs.

#23 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

Check out the Stingray Encounter website, I think they say the stingers are "removed." Trimming would make me feel better, but still not right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users