• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

Would anyone have a counter top cook book holder for sale?

Or know where to purchase one?

sure wish somebody open a Crate and Barrel/William Sonoma like store? Cozumel will get there, if we wait long enough.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

Would anyone have a counter top cook book holder for sale?

Or know where to purchase one?

sure wish somebody open a Crate and Barrel/William Sonoma like store? Cozumel will get there, if we wait long enough.

Or if we live long enough! :rolleyes:
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#3 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Macy's, Amazon, etc all offer international shipping. You end up paying duty and tax plus shipping charges, but if you're desperate and willing to pay, it can be done. I did a quick search on Williams Sonoma, and the one stand that they had available is about 450 pesos, and with shipping/duty/tax the total was around 1000 pesos... So, not ideal obviously.

You could also find one that you like and print out a picture and have a carpenter or metal guy make one for you. I've seen free standing Bible stands/holders at a shop on Av. 65 and 11 that also sells pottery, and also at the carpenter a little further north on 65 as well.

Good luck on your quest :)

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

Wishful thinking...Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Macy's, Amazon

I would NEVER, EVER order something from any of the above places, and expect to get it...and surely not a Christmas time.

REALITY...anyone have a USED, DON'T NEED, WILLING TO SELL...cook book rack?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

I've received stuff from both Macy's and Amazon in about 2 weeks, no problems. But yeah, Christmas time might be tough.

Good luck.

#6 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:20 AM

I've received stuff from both Macy's and Amazon in about 2 weeks, no problems. But yeah, Christmas time might be tough.

Good luck.

Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#7 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:22 AM

You received stuff from Amazon.com to Cozumel Mexico?? any taxes or duty? we were looking to find a part for out Hot tub and they had it, but we ended up finding it in Cancun so ordered it that way?
more details Please!!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#8 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

There are only certain things that Amazon lets you ship internationally.
Amazon international shipping info

You do have to pay customs duty/tax plus shipping, but if you are desperate and can't find it anywhere else, it's a decent option if you are willing to pay. More and more companies are offering shipping to Mexico. I just noticed that Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic is offering it too.

#9 amelia

amelia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

New to the forum, but have garnered much useful info. from many of you over the years.
That said, I will be in Cozumel Dec 17-22. Saw several cookbook holders at Barnes and Noble, and would be happy to bring you one. I also live within 5 minutes of Bed, Bath and Beyond, Crate and B, and Williams Sonoma, if you have something particular in mind.

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

Thank you Amelia, that is a very kind offer.

I showed my husband what I was looking for and he SEEMS to think he can come up with something that will work.

Will post if he comes up with something.

Thank you again.

Paula

Anonymous

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

We don't have stuff like that around here, but I could probably build you one, Paula. Also, if you know what you want, I could order from Amazon and bring it down. But be quick!

#12 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:37 AM

I bet one of the furniture makers could make a nice one if gave him a drawing or picture.

#13 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

I made one with a 30 cm x 30 cm piece of wood with four slots in it and two pieces of plexiglass, Cost about $10. If you have a very large book just use a longer piece of wood. The slots are cut so the plexiglass can have a larger distance between them for thicker books. It is very simple. The plexiglass fits in the slots and the book goes between so it does not get anything on it when you are cooking. This is very simple to make and very cheap.

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

Morenita, you have perked my interest.

Can you take a pic of what you made?

I use my cookbooks daily...all different sizes. The largest is 24x7x6.5

The price is right as well.

I would not want to do metal here, rust.

I did see a bamboo stand that was clever, and I know there is a Adolfo who does large bamboo pieces, but not sure this would be worth his time, and the price may be to high.

It is unique the things we miss/need/want here.

Anonymous

#15 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

Morenita, you have perked my interest.

Can you take a pic of what you made?

I use my cookbooks daily...all different sizes. The largest is 24x7x6.5

The price is right as well.

I would not want to do metal here, rust.

I did see a bamboo stand that was clever, and I know there is a Adolfo who does large bamboo pieces, but not sure this would be worth his time, and the price may be to high.

It is unique the things we miss/need/want here.

#16 morenita

morenita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

I can check tomorrow the price of the plexiglass and let you know how much it would be. The base is very simple and I have some extra wood. So you would only need to pay for the plexiglass which should be less than $10. Or if you know where to buy two small pieces of plexigass than I can cut the wood base for you. It is very simple. You cut slots at varying widths at a slight angle. These are parallel to each other. The plexiglass slips into the slots and you can adjust it for the thickness of the book. The book goes between the plexiglass at an angle making it simple to read. It also protects the cookbook while you are cooking. I will try to take a picture to show you. This is a very inexpensive and effective stand for your cookbook and keeps the cookbook clean. It is just plexiglass which can be cleaned and a flat peice of wood with slots in it. No metal and nothing to rust and very simple to use with any size book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users