• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jules55

jules55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

My husband are 7 months sober today. We are going to Cozumel in February. Usually we have the "Tequila Tour". We always go in Feb. and one year it was rainy and all we did was cruise the bars. Going with a different mind set It will be the "A seafood tour". Won't be a problem for me. Usually my goal is to eat a lobster per day LOL. But are there some drinks other than virgin bloody mary's and virgin daquiri's and virgin marguerita's that are available? This will be interesting - Cozumel sober hehe.
Thanks for any input.

#2 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

Congratulations! One of my favourites - especially good on a hot day in Cozumel is lemonade/limonada. Another refreshing beverage is cranberry juice with some mineral water. Both should be easily available. And my other faves, which may not be as available on a tequila or bar tour are iced coffee, iced lattes, iced tea and jicama water.

Valli

#3 jules55

jules55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

Jicama water...never heard of it. Wonderful suggestions! Thank you!

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:59 AM

jimiaca, a red drink made from steeping dried red hibiscus blossoms, is very refreshing and has a huge amount more vitamin C than rosehips. You can also get that here and you can make it yourself as well.

#5 jules55

jules55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

I drink tea with hibiscus and rosehips all the time! I did not know it was from jicama! Thank you Carey!

#6 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

First off I would like to say congratulations on being sober for seven months. If you are like me where drinking had gotten the best of me then that is a long time. Cozumel is no different than anywhere else as far as what is available to drink non alcoholic wise it is just that the idea of vacationing in paradise kind of brings to mind the beach,Corona, etc. Well you get the picture. Thing is we have been going down there for the last eleven years sober and it really makes no difference to me one way or the other what everybody else does or wants to do.
You can see little balloon hats made up for tourists that walk around and quite frankly look a little silly.
We have more fun exploring the local businesses back off of 30th ave and 65th just to get a little bit better understanding of how people live there. After a while you start to notice that the local people seem to be able to get by with a whole lot less. Yes, less of everything, they are quite happy and when you see this it is kind of an awakening. You start to relax and enjoy what Cozumel is all about.
You can Dive, snorkel, cruise the other side of the island and picnic, (lock your car) or go to Chakanaub park (spelling) and spend the whole day. Lots to do sober.
Our biggest problem is trying to figure out how to get rid of so much stuff as we are overstuffed and are moving there one way or the other in November. Long range plan of course but the house is there its paid for and ready for us. Sober living is anywhere you want it too be. Good luck to you.
Richard

#7 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

I drink tea with hibiscus and rosehips all the time! I did not know it was from jicama! Thank you Carey!

Jicama water is made from the "root plant" jicama, Jamaica water/Agua de Jamaica, a red drink made is from dried red hibiscus/jamaica blossoms, had some tonight, very refreshing.

Club soda/agua mineral with lime/limon is another option for a refreshing afternoon beach bar drink.

T.

#8 jules55

jules55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

Ahhh...my dyslexia got the better of me. I understand now. Thanks for all of the good suggestions!

#9 jules55

jules55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

You're absolutely right Richard. We've had so many landmarks this year: 1st sober 4th of July, 1st sober annual camping trip we always take to the BWCA in Minnesota, 1st sober Thanksgiving, Xmas and New Years. So now that we know we can do it, I'm looking forward to a sober Cozumel.
Thanks
Julie

#10 jenster101

jenster101

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

Go to a Michoacana helado shop and get an agua Fresca!

#11 4aGoodCoz

4aGoodCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Travel, food, family and friends.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hi Jules:

My Sig. Ot. is 8 years sober and we have a blast every year in Cozumel. While he does indulge me my afternoon pina colada (he has a coke lite) at Coconuts once a trip, that is the only "bar" we make it a point to visit. Just wanted to let you know that what you are planning (fun) CAN be done...and good for you! We are there Feb. 4 - 12 this year.

Christie
Christie
"I have to go, I feel Iím sinkin'. I just donít know, but I canít stop thinkin'...Mexico." - Firefall

#12 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

I've been visiting the island in the warmer, summer months lately and find it's too easy to drink beer when all I really want is something cold and liquid. I am not a fan of Coke, Pepsi or any sweet soda pop. A few years ago I started packing a heavy glass jar to make sun tea. I pack some herb tea bags as well and always make sure I have a frig in my room. It is a very refreshing (and inexpensive) drink to have available. I'm also fond of limonada, jamaica water and "agua con gas" --- fizzy mineral water which you can find at any OXXO. A good place to get fresh squeezed orange juice - to drink there as well as to go - is at the traditional mercado @ 25th & Salas.

My friend Josefina, the chef, introduced me to the delicious and refreshing drink Chaya on my last trip. It is made from a common plant that grows all over - sometimes called Mexican spinach. It's usually blended with pineapple or sometimes cucumber, water and a touch of sugar. It is super delicious and reputed to be good for the kidneys. I believe it can be found at Maharaja on 15 & 1 (address ??)

Have a wonderful trip!

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#13 jules55

jules55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Thanks Christie! Love Coconuts. Like to go early before it gets too busy. We will be there Feb 2-9. Maybe we'll cross paths.

Julie

#14 jules55

jules55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

Thank you all for all of the wonderful suggestions. I can't wait to try them all. Looking forward to a fun and sober Cozumel!!

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

I'll second that emotion! The Michaocan agua frescas are to die for. Giant, filled with ice and very very cold. My favorite is sandia (san DEE ah) --watermelon. Incredibly refreshing. There's one of these ice cream stores on Juarez with the 20 Ave, one on 30 about 7 blocks south of Calle 11 and one in the first story of the Mega grocery store building. (There are others also but those are the ones I pass all the time.) This is a local company -- at least local to the Yucatan. And they turn out an excellent product.

#16 jules55

jules55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

Thanks Carey. That sounds absolutely wonderful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users