16 replies to this topic

#1 toofunnie

toofunnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:55 PM

Hello,

We are looking at renting this property this fall. Does anyone have any information they would be willing to share regarding this place?

Thanks!

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:51 AM

Having stayed there and, now, knowing the owner well, I highly recommend the villa. It's beautiful, well maintained, well-stocked kitchen, first rate service/attention, and the pool is heavenly. I can't say one bad thing about it. The drive is a little long, but worth it if you're renting a vehicle.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 toofunnie

toofunnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Kandy,

We were also wondering a few other things after reading a few reviews....

Do the owners live in the home? If so how does that work?

We are a bit familiar with the area as we stayed at the Wyndham our last stay. So we understand the drive:) but that said don't mind it.

If you have any suggestions or ideas, please share...

Thanks again!

#4 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:48 PM

The owners DO live there. They have a 2-bedroom unit on the top floor. However, in the week we stayed there, I saw Janie only on arrival when she gave us the tour of the home. We only saw David one time, when he came down to repair a problem with the screen door. Otherwise, they keep to themselves upstairs and you only see the cleaning lady and lawn/pool man. They are not the least bit intrusive. I spent most of my time at the pool that week and didn't even see them then!

Kandy

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:19 PM

Villa Dos is very spacious and opulently furnished. Lovely sand beach out front and close enough for an easy walk to two beach clubs.

#6 toofunnie

toofunnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

thanks for the replys....the more we read the more confusing things are getting...what we are looking for is a oceanfront villa rental that we can relax, snorkel and we would like it fairly private. there are 3 couples going and we decided that we don't want to stay at a hotel but rather a home just because it sounds funnier. we really like the san francisco beach area and want to be close to carlos and charlies but not so close that we are bothered by the music. any input would be greatly appreciated, things are getting quite confusing :(

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

I'm not sure why you're confused. It's a very nice, roomy place. Great beach and close to beach clubs but not so close that the music will carry over. Long drive to town is the only downside. You'll never see the owners. They live in a little place way up top and you'll never know they're there unless there's a problem in which case you'll be very glad they are nearby.

No snorkeling at this location, by the way. White sand beaches=no close to shore snorkeling that's any good.

#8 toofunnie

toofunnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

thanks Carey. we really want to do some on our own snorkeling though without having to do trips the whole week. Is there shore snorkeling within walking distance that you know of?

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

No. There actually is no great snorkeling from any beachfront villa I can think of. In any case, you're going to need a car from that location. With a car its a short drive to several good spots.

#10 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:53 AM

I agree with Carey on all points. Villa Dos is amazing and you'll feel like royalty there. Any drive to good snorkeling will be short and worth it. I didn't even mind the drive to town really. No location on the island offers it all in my opinion. However, my preference would be to choose the accommodations you really want and drive to the places that offer what might not be available right there. The island is that big that it's a terrible inconvenience Posted Image

Kandy

#11 toofunnie

toofunnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

Thanks both Kandy and Carey! We are officially booked! Very Exciting:)

#12 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:18 AM

You won't regret it for a second, toofunnie. Let us hear from you in a trip report after you return!

Kandy

#13 toofunnie

toofunnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

Thanks Kandy! We will definately post a report when we return! Now the wait.....Oh well it will be worth it!

#14 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

my friends just stayed at villas mayaluum, located in front of palapita den medio (2 doors down from hotel villablanca and there is an oxxo next door).
FANTASTIC place. very spacious, gorgeous views, not many villas, many long term "residents", big pool, close to town (3 minute drive or 20 min walk) and shopping, snorkeling right out front, super bars right there, etc.

rates for high season are 140us a night for a HUGE 2br, 2ba condo. slightly more for the 3br. includes cable tv, radio, i believe daily maid service, full kitchen with all the necessary cooking stuff, and beach and bath towels.

my friends were very very happy. only during the day, since they were in the front condo, you could hear the traffic, but not bad at all. i am sure if you had a villa 2 or 3 back, little or no noise. perfect spot for a family or a group of people. i was quite impressed for such a fair price since you cant beat the location.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:36 AM

my friends just stayed at villas mayaluum, located in front of palapita den medio (2 doors down from hotel villablanca and there is an oxxo next door).
i was quite impressed for such a fair price since you cant beat the location.

That is a VERY fair price. that is actually a very CHEAP price for what you're describing. However, I'm going to have to disagree on the location. It's right at the edge of a congested traffic area near the International pier, Park Royal, etc. Cruiseships looming to the left of your view. Lot of boat traffic out front so no snorkeling. No sand beaches. Definitely want a car for this location so I assume there's off street parking available with the units??? You'll want it.

For that price, I'd overlook the less than perfect but perfectly adequate location and book the place if you want a good deal. But the price reflects the location in my opinion.

#16 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

which is precisely why i said that there is SOME traffic noise, and after the cruiseships are gone, the traffic dies down drastically. and, there IS snorkeling out front. the snorkeling at palapita den medio isn't the best, but there is life to see and a decent shore dive. there is boat traffic, but moreso north of the pier. the boats are used to many people hanging out and jumping off the pier etc and snorkeling. i swam there, going south (north if the current was weird) for many months and never was near trouble. you wouldn't really need a car if you had all able bodied folks as it is only a 20 minute walk into downtown. easy taxi ride back.
if you get a unit a little further back, the noise level is even less.
if you rent for the month, it is $1200usd plus electricity. damn good price.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#17 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

The Villa Blanca beach area used to be pretty good for snorkeling before Wilma. I used to send those one out of 40,000 people that asked off the cruise ship if there was decent snorkel close by and rental equipment available. Before the more recent development, I used to send people to Dive Paradise to rent snorkel gear and then said to go buy food or drink on Papa Hog's side. It used to be a tropical aquarium right between the two piers. At the time, the Fury was going off shore there. I heard back from people that had seen their friends there aboard the Fury and felt they saw five times as much for a fraction of the cost.

Walking distance for some people is all relative. I know many that would use their cars and spend 15 minutes looking for a parking spot to save walking three blocks. My guess is that it is less than two miles from the square, maybe a little over a mile from Chedraui. I have walked far farther for less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users