Opals Dream

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

divers beware who you dive with make sure of your divemasters as much as possible. My wife and I were having lunch at Papa hog's and I really didn't believe what I was seeing which was a drug deal between two DM's from a company we use and a DM from Opals dream. I watched the DM exit Opals dream greet the other two on the sidewalk and then watched as money exchange hands as well as drugs which looked like marijuana. Now what they do one thier own time is their business but what they do on company time is something different all together, especially when it might effect my safety our my wife's safety. :(
Breath in Breath out move on

#2 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Cozdaddy, I don't mean to sound offensive but I have to wonder what your motives are? Why would you call out Opals Dream and not name the company you dive with? I get the safety issue and appreciate your concern but in my opinion the company you dive with should be named as well.

#3 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

Rather than posting suspected but unconfirmed illegal activity on a public forum, the better move would have been to call the police and let them sort it out. If what you think you saw was the reality, it would be in the public record re all three DMs, their employers might have legal cause if they would like to fire these people without worrying about severance hearings/payments, and maybe it would have received some notice by the media.

Hope you told your op's owner about this. And did you take your business elsewhere?

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

I agree with Coz Daddy in cautioning care and considerable circumspection in choice of dive op and dive master here. And I would like to thank him for broaching this subject. Because, as much as many of us would like to whitewash it, there is drug abuse going on at some dive operations here with meth being the drug of choice as it is cheap, cheap, cheap here.

There's an unspoken code of not 'ratting out' competitors so its unlikely that you'll see any published list of the bad ops. But I will say point-blank that the problem exists here and all would be advised to use their best common sense and get plenty of recommendations before choosing a dive op.

And if something feels wrong to you about a dive master, a capi or the staff of an operation in general, bail! There are plenty of highly reputable companies on this island. Do the work and find one of these. Happy Go Lucky Party Time ops are not a great choice for a sport that requires sober heads and meticulous attention to detail.

#5 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:23 AM

Cookielady the only motive I had was to let people know they might want to be aware of the people they are hoping are going to keep them safe on a dive and thats the dive master's Nad if I had witnessed the same thing in front of the shop I dive with I would have called them out also. I talked with th owner of the shop I dive with and advised them of the issue and was advised they would deal with it, I can only hope they will.

DebB suspected but unconfirmed illeagl activity? I've been a cop for 31 years and I know a drug deal when I see one. Call the police I'm sorry but the rerputation of the Mexican police isn't the greatest right now especially when it comes to drug enforcement. I'm sorry you don't like what I saw, but it happened and as far as the two dm's from the company I dive with well I don't dive with them anyway. I have five dm's I'll dive with and when I'm on the island I will request them.

#6 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

No, I don't like what you saw & wish you had photos!

I'm not saying that there would have been an arrest had the police been called, but there would have been a report about the call and response -- with names, date, time, and location. Without proof of inappropriate or illegal conduct by an employee, it is potentially very difficult and/or expensive for an employer to accuse, punish, or fire down here.

In most cases, it's impossible for a customer to know much, if anything, about a dive professional's private life. IMO, all three DM's should be mentioned by name so that they will know that we would never dive with them (no matter which op they work for) or recommend them and why.

It should be up to the dive op managers & owners to have their fingers on the pulses of their people and to do the public the favor of flushing out those DM's and instructors with habits contrary to their responsibilities. But that's not reality and stuff happens and professionals get by and keep on doing it. Why wait if and until it catches up with them on the job? That could be tragic. (Possibly has been...)

So any help the public can provide would definitely help maintain the high level of safety that Cozumel's entire dive community strives for.

Thanks.

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

It's absurd to suggest Coz Daddy has an ulterior motive. It's completely clear to me that, as a veteran cop, he not only recognized a drug deal when he saw it but felt a public duty to mention that this kind of thing goes on here so that people will be careful.

I don't really think it was his duty to laboriously find out the names of the people involved in the incident so that he could publish them here. That's a lot of work and he's on vacation. He did inform the dive shop and that was more than most people would do. So get off his case. It was a good samaritan post and it brought to light a problem that has been plaguing some elements of the dive industry on this island for quite some time.

Choose Your Dive Op Carefully! There are many highly reputable companies here. And there are some dangerous flakes. Those who don't have the common sense to tell the difference -- especially after reading this thread -- are more candidates for a Darwin Award.

By the way, I notice the title of this thread is Opal's Dream. May I assume that this is the new name for Scuba Mau, of the recent and infamous deep dive without back up air accident?

#8 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Sorry if you found my post offensive Carey.

I’m just saying that everyone involved in the drug deal should have been called out, not just scuba mau...

And I refuse to call it opals dream... that new shop name, knowing the history of the shop, is revolting... capitalizing on name of a deceased worker – unbelievable...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

It wasn't just you. Several people broached the subject of an ulterior motive being involved here which, as I said, I find patently absurd.

#10 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

I don't see any ulterior motives anywhere...
Just a note re the names "Opal's Dream" and "Scuba Mau." The original Scuba Mau operation was owned by solely by Opal. At the time the business was formed, she and Mau were married and she named it for him. Before her death, the two had been separated for some time and they were negotiating a divorce agreement. Mau laid claim to the name "Scuba Mau" for his own, new dive operation and when Opal died, he told her family -- who was then (as now) running the shop -- that they could no longer use his name. So the name had to be changed and they selected "Opal's Dream".

#11 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

My apologies for my poor choice of words Cozdaddy. I believe you are trying to make people aware but still do not understand only naming one operator and not the other when you knew who they were. I do not and have not dove with Opals Dream and have no dog in this fight other than concern for the safety of myself and others.

#12 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

there was enough slander to the dive op after the accident regarding possibly drug use/partying etc when in fact, the accident was NOT due to any alcohol use (and prob no drugs in system either- info based on a good source).
if you are going to point out one shop, point out both. the embers were finally starting to cool down.
i never dove with the guys there, i have no stake here either.
however, since i worked as a bartender for 6 months before working as a DM here, i know more DMs than you would imagine in ways you would not. serving DMs drinks and seeing them stumble out at 3am knowing they had to dive at 7am (most at tables, i gave the ones at the bar a hard time and tried to push water), gave me a long list of DMs i would not trust in the water.
i have about 7 DMs i trust with my life underwater.
instead of inviting you DM for drinks at charlies, take them to dinner. no need to get them drunk. you may have the next day off, but it is likely they don't.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#13 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

I think they're doing a great job of ruining their own business, so sit back and have a few cold ones, and lets go diving, ok?

Posted Image
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#14 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

Well it seems like I stirred up a hornets nest.
MarkC I have no ulterior motive and I've told the full story.
1. the deal went down in front of Opals dream or scuba mau or what ever you want to call it. the deal did not go down in front of Dive house or Casa Del mar or scuba shack or any of the other 60 plus dive operations on the island if it had I would have mentioned that op as well. and if you think their running their operation very well then go ahead and dive with them I don't really give a rat's behind who you dive with and as far as them renaming the shop, take it up with Opals brother who is now supposdely in charge.

Nauticab you might want to think twice about wanting to call out both shops, because the two other could have very well been two of your employees and if it were and I had named your shop with possible drug dealing without talking with you, you's be screaming bloody murder that I defamed your shop and if you say differntly I'm trowing the bull%#@* flag. And as far as the accident thats on them as they did a dive they probably not qualified to do with piss poor planning sorry.

and as to why I didn't call the cops well thats two fold
1. I'm in a foreign country and I don't know who the players are
2. I plan on retiring soon and my wife and I are moving to the island and I don't want to be looking over my shoulder all the time to see who's back there.
You know ugly things happen in life but you know what it's not going to change my mind about moving to cozumel. Nauticab I'm sorry that I made negative comments about your precious little Island but one little drug deal is not gonna make or break tourism. Mexico has bigger issues like the fact that a majority of people in the US think the entire county is one big narco state. :angry:
My intent was to just let people know they might want to check who their diving with.

And Carey thank you for backing me up on this :D

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Thanks Cozdaddy, time for the BS to stops.

Not so funny, but yesterday at 10:30 am I saw, with my own eyes, two employee of OD(who I have seen a number of times, so i know who they are) sharing a SOL as another employee was hauling tanks across the street.

I would hope that those who claim to know these people start talking to them about what everybody is seeing...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

I don't want to put words in CD's mouth, but what I read into what he said was the a DM from OD walked out and dealt to two other DMs. Hence, the greater wrong is the dealing and the fact that is was outta that shop, I guess. An employee walked out of the business and made a drug sale. The other two guys appear to be users, which puts them a bit lower on the food chain.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#17 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

perhaps you read my words wrong or i said it in a way you misinterpreted.
if you are going to call out one, call out both. BEST to call out NEITHER. that was my point.
and your "precious little island" comment... huh?
and, i do NOT own a dive shop. i was referring to 7 DMs on the island, working in various shops, who i trust my life with if I am diving as well. i have lived here for 12 years, visiting for 6 before that, worked here as a DM for 6b years before owning my store. i know the reputation of OD dive shop and i am not aware of CURRENT drug use as i really don't hang with any of them.
i can tell you stories that would probably make you change your shop too, whatever it is. no one is safe from rumors here on our "precious little island".
i understand your not calling the cops. besides, they would do little if anything. and i totally agree that one small drug deal with a little bit of pot is not going to affect tourism. i don't think anyone even went there.

i am NOT condoning the drug purchase nor the use of. the booze abuse is far far worse. like i said, take your DM to lunch or dinner instead of drinks at charlies.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#18 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

IBTL LOL :rolleyes:

#19 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

I had to look that up, Mark....

And just for clarification, I thought only the pod peeps when to Charlies? :lol:

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#20 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

Or frogs, or dubai, or love, or 1.5, etc.
i had to look that up too. never saw that phrase. thanks for teaching me something today! :P
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users