• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#21 TecDiver

TecDiver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

Not to disparage anything seen or assumed (appearances can be deceiving) After over 31 years in LE anyone that has not been sitting behind a desk can tell you that things are not always as they seem. I was not privy to the said event nor have an interest in the shop in question only that it seems easy to throw stones when living in a glass house. We must remember that it is a foreign country and the laws, customs, morals and values are different there. Drinking a beer at 9am on a day when there are no trips (port was closed due to weather) is quite normal in any community. I am just saying that before we judge others (LE should know better) we should look carefully at ourselves, lest we also be judged. There has been enought drama to damage tourism on the island to date especially in a declining economy. Lets not create more to add more rumors to damage the industry that we are so passionate about.

#22 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

TecDiver, sadly, it is what it is...

NOBODY, AND I MEAN NOBODY wants to posts this kind of stuff because it hurts COZUMEL...

I wish that this outfit felt the same about being professional,and being seen as professional.

I don't believe the statement about being judged...when you hold my life in your hands, you better believe I am going to judge you, and so would any intelligent human being.

When your diving, there is no excuse for stupid.

This outfit better clean up their acts, and fast.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#23 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

AMEN!
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#24 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

Not to disparage anything seen or assumed (appearances can be deceiving) After over 31 years in LE anyone that has not been sitting behind a desk can tell you that things are not always as they seem. I was not privy to the said event nor have an interest in the shop in question only that it seems easy to throw stones when living in a glass house. We must remember that it is a foreign country and the laws, customs, morals and values are different there. Drinking a beer at 9am on a day when there are no trips (port was closed due to weather) is quite normal in any community. I am just saying that before we judge others (LE should know better) we should look carefully at ourselves, lest we also be judged. There has been enought drama to damage tourism on the island to date especially in a declining economy. Lets not create more to add more rumors to damage the industry that we are so passionate about.

TD,

I don't think the focus is on drinking a Sol. That doesn't excite me. Sitting in the shop drinking a beer, I could care less. Taking me diving after might bother me a little more though. Heck I would rather dive with a hung over DM than with shop involved in these other illegal activities. I think we can sit the beer issue to the side for the moment especially in light of your observations. (Actually it made me want to DRINK a Sol....)

And yes there are different laws customs, etc however I think dealing the old mary jane is probably less acceptable in MX that in the US. (I mean it isn't semi-legal ANYWHERE in MX right?)

I have no reason to doubt CD's report. Rumors are things you hear second or third hand. CD reported what he saw. It is an observation, not a rumor. I would not want to support that kind of activity. It should be brought to light so things improve, not decline.

As for the judged thing, I think you got off course. I can't imagine you meant CD shouldn't say something about dealing drugs because he, in some way, isn't perfect? Do you want our favorite little island to 'seem' perfect at the expense of it 'being' close to perfect? I personally want the truth. I can put it in perspective. This incident doesn't change my opinion of La Isla at all. I hope it will motivate change for those involved.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#25 TecDiver

TecDiver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

You missed my point completely therefore i will make it easier to understand. As for CD and reporting his observations, if you truely wanted to do the right thing, he would have emailed the shop owner with his observations rather than broadcast it to the world. To put the shoe on teh other foot, if someone observed him doing something that looked questionable and videoed it, then posted it on YouTube his career could be over. Yes 31 years down the drain over something stupid. I dont think that anyone wants that for anyone just for people to ack and communicate like adults.

To successfully promte tourism on the island we cant continue to lay blame on this group or that one. While i don't condone diving buzzed, hung over or under the control of any substance other than adenaline(natural excitement associated with diving)

We can't forget that even in the states there was once a time when alcohol (prohibition) was illegal and even California has legalized medical use of marry J. Once more i do not condone it, I don't inhale nor partake and neither should any professional engaged in public service during office hours or on-duty.

If our goal is to ruin the diving industry in Cozumel then we should continue the bickering and he-said she-said. There are few people that are perfect, even DM's on occasion have a drink more than they should. They are human also not to justify questionable activites but then if we want to start publicly calling each other out in a public forum, things will only get worse. Rather than fighting and bickering we should be working together to make our passion the safest sport possible. As for blindly following a DM, the first rule fo diving is SAFETY and diving within YOUR limits rather than that of you DM. Each diver is responsible for checking their gear prior to use rather than only the DM. It is the responsibility of each individual diver to inspect their gear and be physically fit (healthy) before entering the water rather than the DM. DM's are there as tour guides and to assist if needed with emergencies. Have we forgotten the basics of a pre-dive, dive and post dive?

#26 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Or frogs, or dubai, or love, or 1.5, etc.

Nauticab,

Now I feel woefully that I am not one of the cool kids:

Frog: only visited the one in playa to wait on the ferry.
Dubai: Only know where that is because of the you know what out front.
Love: I do want to go there as its in the neighborhood and I hear it is nice.
1.5: Heard of it when some peep were going for New Years. No clue where though....

Will Wet Wendy's on the early shift or Woodies or OHana get me in the 'in crowd' *sniffle*:(

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#27 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

You missed my point completely therefore i will make it easier to understand. As for CD and reporting his observations, if you truely wanted to do the right thing, he would have emailed the shop owner with his observations rather than broadcast it to the world. To put the shoe on teh other foot, if someone observed him doing something that looked questionable and videoed it, then posted it on YouTube his career could be over. Yes 31 years down the drain over something stupid. I dont think that anyone wants that for anyone just for people to ack and communicate like adults.

Tec, do you know no one took it up with the owner before it was brought up here. Your assuming that never happened would be that rumor thing you were trying to avoid. Secondly, CD didn't say he say he saw something questionable, he said he saw a deal go down.

To successfully promte tourism on the island we cant continue to lay blame on this group or that one. While i don't condone diving buzzed, hung over or under the control of any substance other than adenaline(natural excitement associated with diving)

I don't think CD said his goal was promoting tourism. He was stating he say activities occur that many might want to know about at a specific business. People share all kinds of positive and negative about SPECIFIC groups and companies. That sounds like you are saying all of us should join in a grand conspiracy to conceal misdeeds of any single person or business for the good of tourism. Maybe some businesses think that way, but I doubt the responsible ones want bad stuff to continue to protect tourism.

We can't forget that even in the states there was once a time when alcohol (prohibition) was illegal and even California has legalized medical use of marry J. Once more i do not condone it, I don't inhale nor partake and neither should any professional engaged in public service during office hours or on-duty.

So drug use if ok with you as long as you don't use it in the office or on duty? Did you really mean that? Not so big a deal if they were selling it instead of smoking it while working? And while Cali has, it is still illegal federally. My real point was it is sort of more illegal in MX. Maybe it would be less troubling if the MJ was being sold out of a Cali dive shop? Think you are barking up the wrong tree saying we should accept the drug sales.

If our goal is to ruin the diving industry in Cozumel then we should continue the bickering and he-said she-said. There are few people that are perfect, even DM's on occasion have a drink more than they should. They are human also not to justify questionable activites but then if we want to start publicly calling each other out in a public forum, things will only get worse. Rather than fighting and bickering we should be working together to make our passion the safest sport possible. As for blindly following a DM, the first rule fo diving is SAFETY and diving within YOUR limits rather than that of you DM. Each diver is responsible for checking their gear prior to use rather than only the DM. It is the responsibility of each individual diver to inspect their gear and be physically fit (healthy) before entering the water rather than the DM. DM's are there as tour guides and to assist if needed with emergencies. Have we forgotten the basics of a pre-dive, dive and post dive?

This isn't as far as I see anything related to that cr*p the goes on with the whole bickering thing. What does all this safety stuff have to do with drug dealing? CD is being a good dive buddy and telling us about what he considered something that might be a safety issue. You are trying to compare a DM having one drink too many with drugs being sold out of a shop? Really? Like covering it up and allowing it to go on is GOOD for the dive industry. I would wager that many dive op owners would welcome the someone trying to end drug sales from dive shops. At least I would hope so.....

Just my opinion....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#28 TecDiver

TecDiver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

Because i care about our island, I went to Opal's Dream and asked why they were selling drugs in front of the shop. They looked on wonderment as to what and why i was asking. I recounted the occurance from the day that said event happened and a laughter exploded. A fellow DM was short on funds and one of the DM's at OD had loaned him a few pesos until he could get back on his feet. Amazing how a simple kind human gesture generated so much negative press for our beautiful island. Kudos to the experts on this call.

Also everyone knows that it is not safe to drink the water in most of Mexico. Bottled water or beer is much safer than non-potable water.

#29 mlk2724

mlk2724

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:12 AM

Decriminalization of "personal use" of drugs in Mexico

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

Is this then really any different than someone buying a six pack after work?

#30 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

Tecdiver it appears you are saying that tourism comes before morals, ethics, safety and honesty. You would make a great candidate for mayor of Amity Island.

BTW: I don't know what happened out there and I am not going to speculate, BUT how naive can you be to think that if someone committed a felony they would tell you? That my friend is laughable.

If you truely cared about the island you would want to see an end to bad elements. People who truely care about things don't try and hide problems, they try and solve them.

I also find it a little dubious when a brand new board member goes off on the deep end with their first 3 posts. A lot of people might start to wonder just how exactly are you tied to the alleged offending party.

Cozumel Diving

#31 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Tecdiver that shop owner can tell you anything they want but I know what I saw and it wasn't a payback for a loan. this is how it went down. seller from OD walks out of shop greets two buyers on sidewalk, buyer one a tall skinny guy reaches into right front pocket and pulls out a stack of money between the right index and middle finger and extends it towards seller who reaches out and acts like they are shaking hands and removes money. Seller then reaches into his pockets and pulls out a plastic baggie containing a large amount in LE terms a green leafy substance and palms it and extends hands and act like they are shaking hands buyer one pockets said green leafy substance and then they shake hands deal is done and they walk off as nothing has happened. That my friend is a drug deal and not repayment of some loan as we say. And just to let you know I don't sit behind a desk I work the road as a patrol supervisor and have four officers under my command. Not only that I've received numerous awards and decorations over the years and I'm not going to do something stupid and ruin a career that is going to end in a few months when I retire.

And if you cared as much about the dive industry as you let on you should be screaming loudly that a shop on the Island is ruining the reputation of diving on in the Island that for everyone on the Island. And also that drug deal I witnessed does not changed my perception of Cozumel one bit and that perception is a Island full of wonderful hard working people and their sense of humor and sense of family, whom I've grown to love after thirty years of coming to the Island and it's not going to change my plans to move there after I retire. You want to know something after thirtytwo years one thing I've learned is people who use marijuana on a regular basis are brain dead and they can't remember anything like the dad I just dealt with that couldn't remember is girlfriends or sons date of birth or what day of week it was.
Breath in Breath out move on

#32 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Perhaps a more useful thread would have been to examine the new name of the shop...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#33 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

Mark please explain, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at? I believe the shop changed names as Opal's ex husband claimed the original name scuba mau as his and that Opals's brother changed the name to Opal's dream to honor her memory?

#34 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

There is a big fight about someone redirecting a website from Opal Dream.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#35 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Well, what exactly was "Opal's Dream?"

#36 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

Good question one that we'll never know

#37 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

Late coming into this discussion, but after reading the OP's first post, this is what struck me....

If you are going to say this: a DM from Opals dream

Then you should also insert shops name here: two DM's from a company we use

If you are really interested in our welfare as stated in your opening line, you would have included it:divers beware who you dive with make sure of your divemasters as much as possible

No offense, but you're talking out of both sides.

#38 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

Don't understand? Why you would name one shop but fail to warn us about the other!

#39 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

It was drug deal, the poster alerted everyone to his sighting, whatever reaction you want to draw is entirely up to you the individual,
wtf is everyone getting on his case. He was on vacation and did not care to spend hours with the local police, would everyone have preferred
he had kept it to himself I think not, although naming the other dive shop is open to question but as he said he spoke with the other shop's
owner and from his answer he was happy with that. So whatever you think of his actions or lack of, the fact is he brought it to the attention
of all prospective divers,his only intention from the start.

#40 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Thank you Bulsaros. That pretty well sums it up. WTF indeed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users