Butterfly Infestation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Last week we had a butterfly infestation. There were so many that my next door neighbor called our friend who looks after our house when we're not down to come take a look.

Our north wall that has been covered in growing green vines with yellow flowers for at least five or six years was completely void of the first flower or leaf.

Seems the butterflies either loved the smell or sight of this particular running vine and decided to lay hundreds if not thousands of eggs. The result was little red and black fuzzy caterpillars that left nothing but bare vines in matter of four days.

A fumigator was called and sprayed the vines with something that was suppose to kill the caterpillars and not harm the vines.

Interesting that the vines and plants on the south wall were untouched. Plenty of red and yellow flowers there.

Just curious if anyone else had run across anything like this?

#2 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Wonder if your caterpillars looked like this one: http://bugguide.net/node/view/58331 These are large critters with big appetites and seem not to be finicky feeders. A few weeks ago, I was watering our potted plants and one crawled out of a pot. Have found some adult leopard moths up here, too. Balcony faces east but direction may not be meaningful.

#3 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:48 AM

Wonder if your caterpillars looked like this one: http://bugguide.net/node/view/58331 These are large critters with big appetites and seem not to be finicky feeders. A few weeks ago, I was watering our potted plants and one crawled out of a pot. Have found some adult leopard moths up here, too. Balcony faces east but direction may not be meaningful.

That is the critter that did all the damage. I found several dozen smaller ones yesterday as I was pruning all the vines. With nothing left to eat doubt they will live to maturity.

Just wonder why all of a sudden they found an attraction for something that has been here for years. So much for my hummingbirds. They really loved the little flowers. The neighor thinks the vines will put on more leaves quick enough that the whole thing won't die.

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Why call the fumigator? Call Sheri Davis - I bet she'd take them all off your hands...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users