• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 3gatitos

3gatitos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:26 AM

I just had my bicycle stolen approximately 3:30am. I heard a noise, jumped out of bed, looked down into our covered car port from our second floor window and saw that my bicycle was missing. I tried quickly to get out of our house, but with the keyed locks it took a minute or so. I did finally get out onto our second floor terrace, ran into our clothesline, my glasses went flying, finally looking over the wall saw the guy ride away with my bicycle. I did not have keys to open my gate to chase the person. I yelled, but ha ha, he did not stop. The neighboring lot is empty, but they recently put up a cyclone fence and that is what was used to scale our wall.

We called the police and they came over. My wife, who speaks some spanish, explained the situation. They took notes and said they would look around for my "LOOK" brand, women's, cruiser, azul, black basket on front, front and back lights bicycle. The police came back 10 minutes later asking for some details of the thief, but other than wearing a hat, and pants, I did not have much, especially since my glasses were ripped off my face by our clothesline.

I did remember that I had taken photos of the bicycle while inventory-ing the whole house, so I was able to print it off and give it to the police on one of their later drive by's. I just tried uploading the photo here, but it is to big to upload. We were told to make a report at the police station on 65 and 25? Is anyone aware of this police station? and the reporting process? We live on avenida 10 bis, entre calle 19 & 21. I am in the market for a bicycle. Besides our legs and the buses, it was our only transportation..

Chuck and Moni

#2 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:05 AM

Yes, this police station is on the corner across from the New Red Cross on 65th. You will go in and file a report and then be interviewed by an investigator. It will probably take a couple of hours.

#3 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:13 AM

I just had my bicycle stolen approximately 3:30am. I heard a noise, jumped out of bed, looked down into our covered car port from our second floor window and saw that my bicycle was missing. I tried quickly to get out of our house, but with the keyed locks it took a minute or so. I did finally get out onto our second floor terrace, ran into our clothesline, my glasses went flying, finally looking over the wall saw the guy ride away with my bicycle. I did not have keys to open my gate to chase the person. I yelled, but ha ha, he did not stop. The neighboring lot is empty, but they recently put up a cyclone fence and that is what was used to scale our wall.

We called the police and they came over. My wife, who speaks some spanish, explained the situation. They took notes and said they would look around for my "LOOK" brand, women's, cruiser, azul, black basket on front, front and back lights bicycle. The police came back 10 minutes later asking for some details of the thief, but other than wearing a hat, and pants, I did not have much, especially since my glasses were ripped off my face by our clothesline.

I did remember that I had taken photos of the bicycle while inventory-ing the whole house, so I was able to print it off and give it to the police on one of their later drive by's. I just tried uploading the photo here, but it is to big to upload. We were told to make a report at the police station on 65 and 25? Is anyone aware of this police station? and the reporting process? We live on avenida 10 bis, entre calle 19 & 21. I am in the market for a bicycle. Besides our legs and the buses, it was our only transportation.

Chuck and Moni

Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen. There is a large police station/court/municipal building on the left hand side going south on 65th. Just built in the last few years. Easy parking.

I just added an extra security light on the north side of our house yesterday. We've got one at the front gate on the inside wall, one on the back of the house and now one on the north side.

We have good neighbors on two sides and across the street but a vacant house/lot on the east side that has been standing empty for over eight years.

#4 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

Try downsizing the photo by making the DPI 72, also make sure the format is JPEG.

The bike shop on 30th across from Pemex said they were getting a new shipment of bicycles today. They were pretty thin on inventory after Christmas.

Good luck.

#5 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

To file a police report and begin the investigation, you'll need personal ID (passport with visitor's permit) and proof of local address (utility bill). Estimate of the value of the bicycle plus accessories and, if you can print a photo of the bike to attach to the report, that would be good since the more info you give them the better. One of these days, an investigator may pay you a visit at home to learn more or to let you know whether or not your bicycle was found.

#6 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

I made a police report following my theft in September at the station on 65th. There is a charge for filing a report, I think it was around 115 pesos. Unfortunately, the person taking my information could not have been less interested. She was more concerned with taking personal calls from her cell and texting. I had someone with me who spoke perfect Spanish, so that helped - the process took about 1.5 hours. And Deb is correct - the more information you can provide, the better.

Valli

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

So let me get this straight - the thief climbed over a cyclone fence, over another taller wall, threw your beach cruiser over both the wall and the fence and rode off on it?

Was it locked down, or just sitting there?

The clothesline part of this [sorry] makes me think of Saturday night World Class Wrestling... :)

Sorry about the bike
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 3gatitos

3gatitos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

So let me get this straight - the thief climbed over a cyclone fence, over another taller wall, threw your beach cruiser over both the wall and the fence and rode off on it?

Was it locked down, or just sitting there?

The clothesline part of this [sorry] makes me think of Saturday night World Class Wrestling... :)

Sorry about the bike

Well not exactly, but close. I misspoke about the fence type. It is a 6 foot chain link fence, which when "climbed", gets you to a point at which you can climb over my wall. The bicycle was thrown over my wall to the street. not locked, and use to be in my house, but not last night. They did look around because other doors (utility room, screen porch) were open. We are installing one those very attractive institutional razor barbed wire fences... the ones that scare away potential home purchasers.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

I just hate it when people feel they are entitled to what you have work for...those JERKS.

When we lived the the states, we engraved initials on lots of stuff that if stolen would be really hard to miss, or fence.

You might reconsider the razor wire, and select closesline, it was pretty effective, just on the wrong party.

I will be on the look out for a guy on a blue bike, with a VW backseat, sporting nice belts from Nauticab store.

Sorry for such a terrible experience, and hope the bad guy(s) have a miserable year. :angry:

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

I will be on the look out for a guy on a blue bike, with a VW backseat, sporting nice belts from Nauticab store

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Am I right that you can booby trap your stuff in Mexico and have much less liability than in the States? Man, I could have some fun with that.....

Always the nice people like Chuck and Moni that get hit.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

now that is an interesting question..."booby trap" In the states a thief/robber could sue you for 'booby trapping" if they where injured by your "trap".

Here, I think it's fair game...

I see a new retirement job for the Jefe.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Seriously.

Yea, I would be a little fearful of civil ramifications here, but I was always under the impression that Mexico civil law was a bit more reasonable. Not a country for hot coffee lawsuits and the like.

I wouldn't go for injuries, more for embarrassment. Like pink paint bombs or something. Maybe something with dog poo. Or even better, tar and feather perhaps? The possibilities are endless.

The only thing better than sending them to jail, is doing it with a Por Esto picture that they will NEVER live down....

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

my guess "civil ramifications" isn't going to be a problem.

I am well protected here, and have no problem using that protection to defend myself and property.

But, this tread is about a bike being stolen...

Anonymous

#15 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Wow that's two rip offs on the board. Sorry to hear this. We just bought bikes on our last trip down. We've been good about locking them up most places but when we're there I've just been leaving them in the back too without locking them up. Not any more. Let us know if you get the bike and/or the theif!
I'm a fish!

#16 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

keep all bikes INSIDE your house at all times. there are many alarm systems that have motion lights/alarms. might want to consider them. adopt a big dog from the humane society. my dog bit the ass of someone trying to get in once.
my bike supplier is closed for inventory til jan 10, but you can check with us to see if what we have is something you would be interested in.

regarding the police report, it does NOT cost anything to file. it costs NOTHING to file a demanda against anyone either (lawsuit). so not sure where this 115 pesos comes from.
bring not just a printout of the bike to the station, but also a page from the internet of the cost of the bike new.

hate to bring bad news about this, but don't hold your breath on finding your bike. when we were run off the road by a dump truck last feb, had the # of the dump truck, and the # of the one behind him, and the cost of replacing my wheels as well as our hospital bills for minor injuries, they "couldn't find" the driver.

i have little faith in the system, from much experience. however, if you have insurance, you will need to file the report for processing.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#17 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

Not wanting to argue, but it did cost me to file the report. A good local friend accompanied me to assist me with the report and he also advised prior to going down that there would be a charge. I had to review what I had reported and then sign. I was provided with a copy as I wanted to file an insurance claim for some of my stolen items which included recently purchased prescription glasses. Perhpas that is the reason for the charge. As it turned out, it was worth the charge as I received full payment for replacing the glasses.

Valli

#18 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

Like Coz2Wonder, we engrave almost everything in Coz and in Richmond. One engraved location in a conspicuous place, the other in a not so conspicuous place. On the bottom of the bike frame at the crank or maybe in the concealed part of the seat post. Decals and special taping patterns on your bikes also make them identifiable from the standard, "it was a blue bike" description.

For our stuff in Coz, we put our last name and our condo number. Our bikes are engraved and "stickered up" with decals that are easy to spot and not likely to be removed by a thief. I'm also famous for leaving things behind at places. My camera has my phone number engraved on it.

ID's like this do work. I sold some stereo equipment to a buddy. A year later, he had it stolen. A little while later, the police called and said they had recovered my stereo. Engraving also resolves some of the issues with the "possession is 9/10 of the law"...especially without an identifying receipt.

A buddy in Coz got his tri-cycleta stolen and after looking around the area, he finally found it.

As far as size of pics.....go to Google and download the free Picasa program. They have an easy program to downsize pictures for export or emailing. It's also a pretty good program for organizing and viewing photos.

Off topic...but the best stolen item story in a while. We live in a very old and historic neighborhood with real front porches and sidewalks 15' from the porch. Our neighbors had two very nice wooden rocking chairs stolen. A month or so later, the police recovered the chairs. The thief had refinished the chairs and they got them back in better condition than when they were stolen.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#19 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

Personally, I wouldn't bother to make a report. Consider it a lesson well if expensively learned and save yourself some time.

Sorry this happened to you. I've had 3 bikes stolen in 10 years myself.

#20 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

my guess "civil ramifications" isn't going to be a problem.

I am well protected here, and have no problem using that protection to defend myself and property.

But, this tread is about a bike being stolen...

Well, the bike was inside the wall, so there would be opportunities for some creative theft deterrents. I have to admit though that is pretty brave to go into the walled area of an occupied house at night. Lot less dangerous in an unarmed country though, I guess.

You go with a jar of scorpions there in the jungle?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users