Isla Holbox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Astoria Fiero

Astoria Fiero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Travel, automobile hobby- restoration, and collection.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

While spending most of our vacation time on Cozumel this year, we are planning a few days on the mainland. We have been mulling over a trip to Isla Holbox. We have checked out the websites and tried to do our research. Does anyone have first hand experience on getting to the island and perhaps a good place to stay for a night or two, once there.. Thanks in advance!

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

We took a small plane with friends several years ago in July to snorkel with whale sharks. It was amazing. We did not stay overnight.

Be sure to take your bug spray! Holbox is very rustic as compared to Cozumel.

#3 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

How do you plan on getting there? Drive, bus, or fly. I've been to the island over a dozen time. I find it beautiful and very laid back. There is not much to do so a couple of days is great. I wouldn't spend more than 5 days. You can walk everywhere but would recommend renting a golf cart for a few hours so you can explore the island. The bugs can be bad at sunrise and sunset. I find that it's the chiquistas (no-see-ems) that get you more than the mosquitos. I would highly recommend staying at Casa de las Tortugas. It's a pricy place. Probably $1000 + pesos a night but in my opinion it is the nicest place on the island with beautiful beach front property. There are lots of restaurants in town (maybe a dozen) to choose from and the fish is usually excellent. Bring cash because as of November there were only 2 ATM machines on the island and I am not sure how often the get re-stocked with cash. Not many places take credit cards and if they do it will cost you and extra 5% on your bill.

The bus usually runs from the Cancun bus station to Chiquila twice a day. It's a 3 1/2 hour bus ride and a 20 minute ferry ride to Holbox.

If you have a car the drive to Chiquila can be done in about 2 hours if you go through Puerto Morelos.

Flying I have no idea.

Try and get to the island between late May and August so you can swim with the whale sharks.

It's a nice trp. Have a great time.

#4 Astoria Fiero

Astoria Fiero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Thanks to both of you for the replys. We are going to drive up in a rental car, stay the night of Feb 7 and drive back to Playa next afternoon. Not much of a stay, but it will give us an idea if we might want to return another time. We will be sure to take the bug spray! I did read your recent report Steve, your pictures give us some extra guidance.

#5 Astoria Fiero

Astoria Fiero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

We just returned from Coz today. We did make our trip to Holbox,from Playa, via rental car using Steve's suggested route out of Punta Moralos. It worked great once I found the Golden Arches at PM. The trip took us about 3 hours. I drove between 80-100kmh, except of course through the towns or over the numerous topes. Ferry ride was good, about 1/2 hour at the most. We stayed at a hotel at the edge of the town square, called Casa Lupita. It was very nice, but the evenings festivities could keep a light sleeper awake until late. We really should have stayed a second night, but the rental car was due back too early to allow for that. We had time for a couple nice meals, and a long walk along the beach. After about a 24 hour glimse of the island, we returned via the same route. The lasting impression was-Yes you really do need bug repellent. It is a worthwhile trip, but next time, we will spend at least two nights. If you haven't been there, don't miss it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users