• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Saz

Saz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

Can anyone tell me where I can rent a paddleboard on Cozumel? I am interested in this and would like to have a go before considering purchasing a board.

Thanks!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace! Jimmi Hendrix

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

Contact Adrian at Cozumel Kite Boarding. He will definitely know if there are any paddle boards available for rent on the island. I've tried this sport on a calm river in Hawaii. I have extremely good balance but nearly tipped over a couple of times on the extra large board they gave me as a beginner.

The west side waters could be fun for paddle boarding because, unless there's a norte blowing, it tends to be pretty calm with little or no chop and certainly no surf. Protect your skin well goes without saying, I guess.

Let us know if you dig anything up. I might be interested in giving it a shot again, too. No paddle board surfing for me, thanks very much! But cruising in calm waters gives an excellent upper body work out.

#3 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

Paradise Beach club has them. The "activity" bracelet is $12 US, good all day and includes all of the paddle boards, water toys and kayaks. During the low season they usually offer a local special for free bracelets on Sundays. Otherwise 20% discount with plan local off food and drinks (but not the bracelet). Paradise is usually kind of a zoo with cruisers during the week, but pleasant enough on Sundays or when there are only a couple of ships in port.

#4 Saz

Saz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Checked out the Trip Advisor forum - but couldn't see anything conclusive about where I can rent a paddle board! I will investigate with Adrian then.

I am particularly interested as it does seem to offer a great 'core' workout.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace! Jimmi Hendrix

#5 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

I would like to try it too.......

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Thanks, Erin

I think AJ and I will go out to Paradise Beach Club this Sunday and give it a shot in these waters. If I like it a lot, might import a 26 pounder ladies version. Plan would be to put it on my head, walk the 3 blocks to the waterfront in the center of downtown where I live and paddle around for an hour around sunset a couple of days per week. Good work out. Before I went to that trouble and expense, however, will try it several times with rental equipment. .And then get a full length lyric skin to protect from sun burn.

We have two sit on top kayaks but we never use them because it's such a pain loading and tying them on top of the car and then unloading and untying, reloading and retying. So looking for something that could be hand carried the 3 blocks to the water. I could handle the smaller paddle board I tried in Kauai no problem so we'll see. Thanks to whoever brought up this subject.

Will keep you posted on how our first experiment goes. It's definitely a good upper body work out and also good for the legs because you're constantly having to adjust your weight and center of gravity. And I'm only talking about flat water. Will prolly fall off the first tiny wave that comes along.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

good price on your kayaks? Interested.

At Paradise Beach, try the Chicken Wrap...it's enough for two. The Poppers are GREAT.

Also, they have got to have the BEST clothing store on the island...I prefer the original shop by the beach...great fabrics on the sun dresses, bathing suites are at an excellent price.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Saz

Saz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

Any update on the SUP at Paradise Beach Club, Carey?

Just curious as I am looking at getting a paddle board now & wanted to try one out here first. Do they definitely have them at Paradise Beach?

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Haven't made it out there yet, I'm afraid so nothing to report on that front. You could email them. That's one of the few beach clubs I can think of where they'll actually respond if you email since it's owned and run by an American businessman and he has all the communications well set up for that.
Let us know if you find out anything.

But I definitely wouldn't purchase a board without thoroughly trying it out. Although, depending on your weight, rental boards may not give you a clear idea. They prolly just have the great big, old fashioned surfboard type boards which its much easier to get up on. I would be looking to buy a 25 lb or less woman's board I could put on my head and walk to the water from my house. And that will make for a hot, tippy board.

#10 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

They definitely have them at Paradise. I was on them last season and this season friends have been out there as recently as Sunday and have been on them. They are older - not fiberglass.

#11 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Raul De Lille, who is largely responsible for bringing windsurfing and kiteboarding to the island, has paddle boards for rent and sale. After attempting to import the paddle boards and running into issues with them coming in damaged plus seeing how he could make them better, he decided to design and sell his own. The equipment is pristine, well designed and comparable in price the paddle boards I've researched on line.

A friend and I meet with Raul about two weeks ago. Today we went back to "test" ride the models. All I can say is WOW! Raul and his team gave us a quick and informative briefing, followed by a even quicker demo and then we were off and paddling.

4 models. Two sizes 11'6" x 30" x 4.5" and 10' x 29" x 4"

I don't know how much they weigh, but it's not much. Very easy for me to pick up and carry to and from the water.

I think rental rate is 25.00/hr with a two hour minimum. But you'll need to confirm that.

http://www.delillesports.com/eng/
https://www.facebook...esports?sk=info

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

Thanks for posting this. I'll have to go give it a shot. Is this op based up north past the Country Club Estates area?

#13 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

Yes. He operates out of his home in Country Club Estates, "Casa Viento".

#14 Patches

Patches

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hi Carey
Are these fibreglass or carbon fibre surf ski kayaks you mention Carey? We are looking to bring some surf skis in to Cozumel, as well as standup paddlers. The more we bring in, the cheaper it will be. Let me know - there seem to be a lot of people interested in this. Thanks!

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

What we have aren't fiberglass but they are very comfortable, well-designed and they will not tip over. They are loooong. Long enough to stow a dive tank. And stable enough that they will not tip if you hoist yourself up on them from deep water.

Some kind of very heavy, thick plastic material. You might fall out but the kayak isn't going over. We have comfortable adjustable seats and paddles for them, too. Bought them from an outfitter in Crystal River, FL where we were last before taking the ferry to Cozumel.

AJ used his to shallow fish the marshs and flats around Crystal River. He was catching his quota of giant red fish every day he went out. I went along for the ride in my own smaller version. Good memories of a lovely place!

I might be interested in selling them but I may also try to barter them for a couple of paddle boards -- especially if I can find one that weighs around 25 lbs meaning I could easily put it on my head and walk it down to the waterfront for a put in and some sunset exercise.

If I decide to sell, will put up photos. They are in perfect condition and the were at least $800 USD each bought used and not including the adjustable seats.

#16 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Carey - the paddle boards that Raul has weigh far less than 25 lbs. I'd be surprised if they weigh 15.

Stand corrected - we weighed the boards yesterday. 25 for the 10 footer, 30 for the 11.6

#17 Georgina Canto

Georgina Canto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:You are the special guest when you are with us. All of our guides speak fluent English and are local people who know, respect and take care for the environment. Our equipment is in perfect conditions so that your SUP experience in Cozumel Island is exciting, great and unforgettable.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Le me introduce my self and my husband...

“We are nature’s lovers and are proud to live in this paradise. We are professionals in tourism with extensive experience in water sports, diving and hospitality. While enjoying the island ourselves on board the SUP, we invited our friends to join us. We realized how much they enjoyed it, as well as we do, that’s why we decided to open Ha’Haak Paddleboarding Cozumel, to offer everyone –locals and visitors of all ages– the opportunity to meet Cozumel Island in a fun and healthy way. For us, the respect for nature is our priority, so that we are constantly updating our knowledge to give that “extra bonus” to enjoy the natural sceneries that Cozumel has to offer”

Please take a look our site www.supcozumel.com

Our base for SUP is at Mr. Sanchos Beach Club!!

We are there from Monday to Saturday from 9:00 am to 4:0 pm beach club closes at 5:00 pm

At Facebook you can find us like Hà haak Sup Cozumel

at twitter   @hahaakcozumel  and my self as @hahaakcozumel2

our email  hahaakpaddle@gmail.com

“Ha’Haak” means in Maya slip or slide over the water, where ha means water and haak slip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users