• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

This might seem like a odd question, but are our eggs pasteurized here? Is there one brand that is?

I just purchased the brand Crio and looked for an expiration date, and if they where pasteurized...

Neither was on the carton...

I always keep my eggs in the frig anyway, but how long they are sitting out before they reach me is another story.

I know millions of people do not refrigerate eggs, but I don't eat them fast enough to ensure they are still safe.

I ALWAYS float the eggs before I use them to make sure they are still 'good'.

Just wondering.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Pasteurized-in-the-shell eggs are processed via a patented system in the USA and there is only one supplier: National Pasteurized Eggs. The process kills egg-borne microorganisms, the most significant to consumers -- especially those with auto-immune diseases -- being Salmonella bacteria. These eggs are considered by the FDA to be safe to use uncooked -- as for Caesar salad or eggnog. They are purchased primarily by health institutions but are also available at some large grocery chains in the USA. They are also exported to Mexico. Brand name is Davidson's Safest Choice and the eggs have a red, lasered-on "P" in a circle on them and I've not seen them offered for sale here.

You can probably find frozen, pasteurized egg products more easily.

From what I've seen of Crio, there is little or nothing done before packaging. Theirs are fresh from the henhouse eggs!

#3 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

I've never seen pasteurized eggs down there. As far as an experation date, I don't even know how long eggs are good for. I don't think I have ever had a bad one. The only problem I ever have with the eggs there is you can't make deviled eggs out of them. The yolk never stays in the center. I think that is a sign of an old egg or maybe it's because they aren't refrigerated. I guess I should look that up.

#4 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

Okay I am no expert but when I was a kid we went to the farm picked the eggs up off the ground took them home and ate them, no need for pasteurizing them just clean them.
Refrigeration will slow down the process of decomposing in an egg or most anything else. That is why we use it.
No real need to the store to refrigerate them but, it doesn't hurt for you to do it and it will help them last and be more like the ones you buy in the States. But I was raised in Arkansas what do I know. :lol:
Hey just a question what is floating and egg? I have never heard of it.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

2island..., when we where kids, our chickens had names.

I had a couple of concerns and the first was salmonella, second was age of the egg when I received it.

However, because eggs are staple in the diet, I feel confident they are fresh when I receive them.

As eggs age, the shell become more porous and therefore is able to absorb contaminates.

Floating an egg is simply placing an egg in water, if it floats the shell as become too porous and it is turning, or is bad...my motto is 'IF IT FLOATS, THROW IT OUT'.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

Your are right forgot about chickens being named.
I like the floating thing I will start doing that for sure.
I see your concern over age. Being on an island we are last to get things I think that is why we never have fresh milk any more.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#7 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

From http://www.fsis.usda...gs/index.asp#32

How do time and refrigeration affect egg quality?
The egg, as laid at 105 °F, normally has no air cell. As the egg cools, an air cell forms usually in the large end of the egg and develops between the two shell membranes. The air cell is formed as a result of the different rates of contraction between the shell and its contents. Over time, the white and yolk of an egg lose quality. The yolk absorbs water from the white. Moisture and carbon dioxide in the white evaporate through the pores, allowing more air to penetrate the shell, and the air cell becomes larger. If broken open, the egg's contents would cover a wider area. The white would be thinner, losing some of its thickening and leavening powers. The yolk would be flatter, larger and more easily broken. The chalazae (kah-LAY-zuh), the twisted cord-like strands of egg white that anchor the yolk in the center of the white, would be less prominent and weaker, allowing the yolk to move off center.
Refrigeration slows the loss of quality over time.

What does it mean when an egg floats in water? An egg can float in water when its air cell has enlarged sufficiently to keep it buoyant. This means the egg is old, but it may be perfectly safe to use. Crack the egg into a bowl and examine it for an off-odor or unusual appearance before deciding to use or discard it. A spoiled egg will have an unpleasant odor when you break open the shell, either when raw or cooked.
---

The upshot of all of this is to buy for the freshest-dated cartons you can find and buy eggs close to the time you'll use them or make it a point to cook them before they stink up your fridge!

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

well the age of the egg, and the sinking of the yoke would explain why Steve has problems making deviled eggs. I have the same problem and have to boil half again as many eggs to get ones where the yoke is centered.

Also, depending on the brand of the egg, some shells are so thin that it is almost impossible to get the shell off without tearing the egg up...I do add salt to the water to make removal of the shell easier.

I will continue to discard eggs that float, there isn't a float line printed on the shell that says 'discard past this line'.

There was NO dates on the egg cartons, which was why I asked about pasteurization, and why I float the eggs.

I never knew so much about eggs before. Thanks Deb. We could go back to the old topic of the difference between brown and white eggs now;0

Anonymous

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

I see your concern over age.

Oh I don't think she is worried about age. She looks great for her's.... :lol:

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

and I erased the throw out past this line too...jajajajajajjajjaj :lol:

Anonymous

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

Oh I don't think she is worried about age. She looks great for her's.... :lol:

And you don't float yet, right?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 jic811

jic811

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

FYI on eggs! I have raised chickens and have found the fresher the eggs the harder they are to peel when you boil them. Another trick for an easy peel is to add oil to water that you are boiling the eggs in... I also use the floating in water trick!

#13 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

I've boiled eggs every way possible. Some peel right and some don't. I spin the eggs on the counter and stir them in the pot to try and get the yolks centered. It just doesn't work on Mexican eggs. If you want to make 12 deviled eggs (that would be 6 whole eggs)you might as well cook 12 to 18 whole ones as the yolk usually settles to the outside of the shell. You can go ahead and make most of them but they won't look right or convert them to egg salad. I think it has to do with the freshness of the eggs. I'll keep trying.

There was an info-mercial on TV the other night trying to sell plastic egg shells that you boil. You crack you eggs and put one into the artifical shell then boil them. No peeling involved when they are done. That could work for the peeling part but not for centering the yolk.

#14 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

So, I am by no means an eggspert, BUT, I do my hard cooked eggs in the oven. Place the eggs directly on the rack, put a cookie sheet on the bottom of the oven just in case you get a break. 325* for a half hour, and then straight into an ice bath until chilled. I peel them under running water to make them easier to peel. I've never really noticed where the yolk ends up, as I just do egg salad or eat 'em whole. Might be worth a try :)

#15 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

I guess you learn something new every day. I believe this site sums up making a hard or soft boiled egg. Neither one are boiled. I'll have to give their way a try and see if there is a taste difference from they way they do their hard boiled eggs and the way I do mine.

I know when I make soft boiled eggs, mine need 4 minutes and 20 seconds in boiling water or else they get over done. It would be nice to be able to make a whole batch at the same time and not have them over cook and be able to sit in the pot for an hour.

http://www.seriousea...oiled-eggs.html

#16 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Facinating conversation and information! So now I need to know if I can buy an instant-read thermometer on the island?

#17 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

This might seem like a odd question, but are our eggs pasteurized here?

Paula, how would anyone know if the eggs were pasteurized? What if they were past your knees or hips?
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#18 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

Mark C....ROFLMAOF...that is funny. :lol:

Anonymous

#19 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Mark C....ROFLMAOF...that is funny. :lol:

Thanks, i'll be here all day :P
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#20 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thanks, i'll be here all day :P

That sounds like a threat..... <_<

El Jefe