• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 minneSNOWta

minneSNOWta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

First and foremost, thank you to Travelin' Steve for mentioning the word "seabean" to me. And pointing me in the direction of seabean.com
Oh how I have learned schtuff over the last couple months.
What it prompted me to do was to try to GROW something from the few seabeans I had in my possession. All from Cozumel. This is my NOTE from FB, and I hope this link works - otherwise, I will have to figure something else out to share it here. I planted 4 beans, all obtained from beaches of Cozumel and this will get you up to speed as to where "Audrey II" is today. She is still young...
https://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&note_id=10150426646398724#!/note.php?note_id=10150426646398724

I will post this and then please tell me if you have trouble viewing it.

#2 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

Not working. Make sure the album is "public". I wanna see!!! :)

#3 minneSNOWta

minneSNOWta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

KK, try again, I think I got'er.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

HOW COOL IS THAT...congratulations

it appeared you had two different beans. One bean looked like a 'sea heart', and the other I just call 'hamburger beans' (they look like mini burgers)did all the bean sprout?

again, CONGRATS...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for sharing! Very cool!

#6 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

Nice work and great photos. I've got a whole collection and haven't tried to grow them They are kind of like trying to grow avacaodos.
They take forever to germinate and once you get a decent size plant the dog eats it or the kids break it. I'll have to take a couple of mine and give it a try. The seeds last forever. I was going to buy a cheap rock tumbler and try to make something out of them but haven't got around to it yet. You give me inspiration.

Try papaya seeds. Buy one from the grocery store. Hundreds of seeds in each one and they all grow.

Keep us posted on how it does.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

I just checked on the seeds I have here, and it would appear they need to be a fresh crop of seeds.

I took a random sample and age does make a difference.

on the hunt of new beaners.

CAN THIS BE MOVED TO THE GARDENING SECTION SO THAT IT'S NOT BURIED

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 minneSNOWta

minneSNOWta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

Coz2wonder - Of the four that I planted, two rotted (hamb beans) and the seaheart never did anything. The one that DID sprout is a brown hamburger bean, mucuna sloanei. Should eventually look like these images
http://images.google...lcm1Cw&tbm=isch

Just a guess that the beans were about a year old. I think I picked them up Fall of 2010 on my Punta Molas trip with Adrian. Yes, now I remember, we were at the lighthouse, on the beach and I picked it up and Adrian said it was a deer eye.

Steve
Yes, it took 3 weeks for her to sprout but once she did, she took off. Even in MN where the growing conditions are less than favorable, she grows about 1/2" to 1" per day. The shoots off the original spindly vine have started too. I read somewhere that under optimum growing conditions she could get as tall as 57 feet with a 38 foot spread. Considering the humidity in our house is around 24% right now and the temp ranges from 68-74 degrees and the only sunlight she gets is from a plant light...unless we happen to have a sunny day, maybe 2 hours in front of a window - don't think I'm too concerned with Audrey II taking over my house.

I'll post some more pics and updates soon.

#9 minneSNOWta

minneSNOWta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

A couple new pics of Audrey II. If you scroll down in the note to "It's been about 6 1/2 weeks..." you'll see the new pics.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/48783032705/#!/notes/jana-fisher/seabean-experiment/10150426646398724

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users