10 replies to this topic

#1 COZUMEL OR BUST

COZUMEL OR BUST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:DIVING, JOGGING, COZUMEL CULTURE, ENJOYING LIFE

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

MY NAME IS STEVE AND I LIVE AT "THE LAKE OF THE OZARKS" MISSOURI. I HAVE JOINED THE FORUM BECAUSE I LOVE VISITING COZUMEL AND INTEND TO RETIRE THERE IN THE NEXT 4 YEARS. I LOOK FORWARD TO PICKING YOUR BRAINS AND LEARNING FROM YOUR EXPERIENCES ON THE ISLAND. WE WILL PROBABLY KEEP A HOUSE IN THE STATES AND RENT LONG TERM IN COZUMEL. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THE PROS AND CONS OF THIS APPROACH FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS LIVED THIS WAY. THANKS FOR THIS FORUM AND ITS DIRECT CONTACT WITH "REAL" COZUMEL LOVERS.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Welcome, Steve. Now that you've introduced yourself, you might want to post specific questions in the Moving to Cozumel or Living on Cozumel forum sections of this website. Also, and this is something people forget so bear with me on the reminder -- don't use all caps in the future if you don't mind. It's harder to read and makes it seem as though you are shouting -- even though you're obviously not.
Again, welcome.

#3 kansasgirl

kansasgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Love to travel, play golf, drink good wine!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

I just signed up today, I don't have a clue what I'm doing, imagine that? It took me awhile to figure out how to get this far! I live in Wichita, Ks, I am going on a Royal Caribbean Cruise April 15th out of Galveston with 2 other ladies who live in Houston, Texas. We all are celebrating our May birthday's. Our first port will be Cozumel. I've been doing research and reading everything I can about Cozumel for 6 weeks now. I found this website today and fell in love with it. None of us have ever been to Cozumel before. I've been doing all the research and report back with suggestions of what we can do for the day in Cozumel. I want to do everything of course.

We are trying to determine what is the best way to spend our short day? The ship get's in at 7:00 a.m. and leaves at 4:00 p.m. I've read where the bar hop is alot of fun, also read about spending a day at a beach club, can't decide which one. We'd like to shop for awhile, could grab lunch at a locals restaurant. I don't think we are into any excursion with the ship, not into that on this stop.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would truly appreciate it. The bar hop get's great reviews on trip advisor, it does take 5 hrs! That is cutting it a little close I would think. Far as a beach club goes, I'm all about a nice beach, cheap beer's and I'm happy.

I look forward to reading more reviews, tips, suggestions and advice from everyone. I have to figure out the profile stuff yet.

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

Well I always took the bar hop as for the SERIOUS drinkers.

As for beach clubs, we like Playa Corona. It is laid back with good, easy snorkeling. They don't have any of water stuff like climby things and jets or anything.

Playa Palancar is also a nice beach club. More like a beach and chairs setup. Don't think the snorkeling is anything to write home about.

Money bar is a cool place to hang out. Good snorkeling. More of a walk up the road, get in and float back kind of place.

Never did any of the 'big' clubs, like Playa Mia and all that. Not our thing.

Also Buccanos has a beach club with some kind of entertainment package. We went there for breakfast and while there some cruisers came in. Really great food there. I didn't snorkel but I heard it was nice. It is one of the beach on one side of the wall, ocean on the other places, but that makes good snorkeling.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 kansasgirl

kansasgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

The newbie is so excited to have a response, thank you. I will go and do some research, thank you so much for the quick reply. We have 89 day's till ship departure. I've been to Cancun, Playa De Carmen, Puerto Morelos, Tulum, Acapulco, Puerto Vallerta, Isla Mujeres, Guad. I have never been to Cozumel, I think I've been missing the boat! Makes me wish we had more time there. Thank you again.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

Cinco Soles is a place to put on stops for shopping. Everything you could want, and at good prices.

Also, you may want to bring new/crisp single dollar bills with you for tipping. Bringing bills larger then a $20.00 may be difficult to get change, especially from taxi's. Make sure none of your bills have any rips, tears or markings on them...they won't be accepted.

Foreign coins are not accepted anywhere. If you have coins left over you can always donate it to Cruz Roja/Red Cross, or the Humane Society. You will find little donation boxes around town.

Enjoy your vacation, your gonna love Cozumel.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

You're right not to sign up for a ship's tour. It's easy and safe to do things on your own. You'll save at least half the price and you won't be clumped together with a big crowd of other people you have to wait for.

Who is doing the bar tour? If you want to spend a ladies day drinking, that could work. But try to find out which bars they stop at. Because if they don't take you to some of the far-flung ones like Coconuts's on the wild side, Palancar or the like as part of the trip, you might do better just using taxis to get from bar to bar on your own.

I'm not a big bar hopper but my list would include Cocanuts's for the memorable view, Palancar Beach Club for the old Cozumel and if you want to throw in some snorkeling, Corona Beach Club or the Money Bar. If a downtown bar like CArlos and Charlies is on the bar tour list, you're getting ripped off as you can go there on your own with extreme ease.

All the beach clubs will have taxis waiting so that isn't going to be a problem.

I am quite fond of Buccanos Beach Club and the taxi ride from the pier to there and back would be inexpensive compared to many other places you can get by taxi from the ship. It is a lovely, laid back old beach villa with a gorgeous, stoned walled, open air restaurant that looks out on a pretty pool and the ocean beyond. All sorts of lounge chairs strew around under the palms and attentive waiters to bring you drinks and nachos.

There is a cover charge to get in but that is applied to food and drinks but I would say well worth it as the grounds are stunning, lovely clean bathroom, beautiful view of the water, nice, tiny little sand beach, big clean pool with view of the ocean right there, showers. Mellow people watching.

If you want a wild bar scene time, this is not your ticket. But if you want laid back carribbean with full service, beautiful water, comfort and no worries about getting back to your ship on time, this would be my personal recommendation.

And I would have the taxi drop you in town at Cinco Soles before you head back to the ship. Spend an hour in there. It's gorgeous -- much bigger and more comprehensive store than the ones Sharon has been able to place nearer to the cruiseship piers. It's a no miss for Ladies Who Shop. And don't miss the 50% off section in the center of the store beyond the restaurant.

One piece of bad news is there will be no cheap beer anywhere you can stare at the ocean while you drink it. Plan on $4 US/beer.

Have fun and give us a trip report when you get back.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

on top of all that...you might consider using a driver to take you all around the island, do stops at the beach clubs on both side of the island, provide a great place for lunch, then take you shopping.

I can recommend Adiel Renan King Cardena who is excellent. If you do a search on his name on this site lots of info will come up.

Adiel (AD-DE-EL)can be reached via email at; adielrenan@hotmail.com

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

on top of all that...you might consider using a driver to take you all around the island, do stops at the beach clubs on both side of the island, provide a great place for lunch, then take you shopping.

I can recommend Adiel Renan King Cardena who is excellent. If you do a search on his name on this site lots of info will come up.

Adiel (AD-DE-EL)can be reached via email at; adielrenan@hotmail.com

That is definitely another great option if you want a more active day. Buccanos is for if you want to Chill and then shop. Paula's friend would make a super tour guide and will rec. the best bars to stop at -- not just the ones paying commissions as is highly likely to be the case on a dedicated Bar Tour.

#10 kansasgirl

kansasgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thank you all for the responses. I have received several great ideas and suggestions. Now, to put a plan into action. I appreciate everyone taking the time to email me their input. I promise I will get back online and write a review when I return. I get a little excited, our cruise isn't until April the 15th, we'll be spending our day in Cozumel Tuesday, April the 17th. I can't wait! Once again, many thanks to all of you!

#11 kansasgirl

kansasgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Found your email in my spam folder. My email is boutimess1@aol.com
Thank you so much for all the information. I did hear from Adiel. For 3 of us his charges are too expensive. He did suggest using his brother who helps him out and speaks fluent English. We might use him. I am going to verify with the other 2 girls and see if they are okay with this before I book. I really appreciate your input and suggestions with Adiel. I'll get back to you soon as I figure this out. Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users