• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

We dined at La Terraza last night for the first time. (Calle 1 corner of Avenida 5). It was great to be back to the old location and the food was better than we remembered! The salads were excellent, thin-crust pizza good as you will find anywhere, and the pasta bolognese right on. As for the staff and the new owners, we can't say enough about their hospitality and graciousness. We will be back!

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

We ate there with friends in December, everything was excellent, and our waiter was a kick! We too will be back!

#3 ccbill

ccbill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

We ate there last night for the fourth time since December, it was excellent. This time we ordered Cozumel king crab and it was outstanding. We had two huge crabs all cracked and served with drawn butter, lime, and a side of pasta. We couldn't finish it so we are having crab salad for lunch today. The crabs were $260 pesos each. They don't always have it so it would be wise to contact them two days in advance which we did and they called me to tell me they were in from the boat. The service was fantastic for a busy night. This will be my favorite meal till I over do it!

#4 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

How did they cook the crab? I'm not a big fan of the Mexican king crab but am always willing to try it one more time. You really have to watch your fingers when you eat that stuff. Those spines are very sharp. There were a couple of places in town where you oould buy it to cook at home but I haven't bought any in over 2 years. Maybe I'll try it again.

#5 ccbill

ccbill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

They steamed the crab, broke it into pieces and cracked it before they served it. It was very easy to eat and not messy at all. The meat was very sweet and we really didn't need the butter. We sure did get a lot of looks from other guests dining that night at the sight of two huge crabs being served at one table. I'll take this over a dried out, overcooked lobster tail any day.

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

My nephew had king crab at Prima and it wasn't bad. I never thought it was actually local crab. I just assumed it was shipped in frozen from way up north. Am I wrong on that?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

I looked it up. Apparently there is a Cozumel King Crab. It's also featured on Costa Brava's menu. Who knew? Will have to give it a try!

#8 jules55

jules55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

Oh Boy! Cozumel King Crab. I never knew about it either. We were planning to try La Terraza because the location is just so awesome and now we have another reason to go. We arrive in Cozumel this Thursday and get to stay for a week. Leaving Oklahoma behind B)

#9 ccbill

ccbill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

The crabs are mostly caught on the east side daily. At La terraza they were fresh that day. Check with them in advance as boats don't go out on Sundays or during norte's.
Enjoy!

#10 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

I'll give it another try a in a couple of weeks. I've eaten it a couple of times and even bought some for a BBQ. The funny thing is I have done a search on Mexican King Crab and get no results. They call it a king crab and they are large. I've seen them when I have been diving. I don't know what species they are or how abundant they are in the Cozumel waters. Any info?

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

I will have to check my pictures. I didn't think the big crabs I have seen diving matched the legs. Interesting.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

Does anyone have a phone, or email address for the restaurant. What to make reservations, for a specific table for V day.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users